The King Performance

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

The King Performance

Post by Larry »

https://www.niggemann.com/en/computer-a ... 19339.html
Anyone here bought this one yet? I'm considering it and would be
grateful for any opinions on it. I'm partial to the de Koning programs,
and I'm guessing this one is a sort of modern day TASC.
The price looks pretty good.
Larry
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi Larry,

I pre-ordered it. I wanted a De Koning authored device in my collection of chess computers. Old ones such as Tasc, and recent ones such as Lasker edition (or The King element + Genius exclusive) are way too expensive for my personal budget.

So the King Performance price, in sort of a "low-high" range, matters.

About De Koning programs, I fully share a bit of a doubt - regarding the 3.xx series (year 2000+), but I am a great fan of The King 2.55, best of class during the 1997/98/99 years. Featuring a 2.61 version, a smart choice has been made for the KP. I never played with this one, but my guess & hope is it should be close to the 2.55

The ability to adjust the speed by 10Mhz steps (from 10 to 300) is a great feature - sort of several in one, regarding the hardware. Pretty same regarding the software, tuning personnalities. Not sure I will often play with these, but using some known & published interesting settings.

Kind regards,
Eric
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Tibono2 wrote:I never played with this one, but my guess & hope is it should be close to the 2.55
Kind regards,
Eric
Hi Tibono2,

Both The King Element and King Performance have a version of TheKing that is based on version 2.6 of the engine but greatly modified and improved. I have read that de Koning spent a long time in creating this special version for the King modules, so it was not just a simple conversion. I would say definitely worth having with its very exciting style of play and very high ELO rating. In my tests it easily trounced the ChessGenius Exclusive at a time control of 40/2.

Regards
Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
Kasparov111

Post by Kasparov111 »

It's a very nice looking board, how strong is it compared to other more well known boards?
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Kasparov111 wrote:It's a very nice looking board, how strong is it compared to other more well known boards?
If you compare it to the likes of the Revelation II or Pewatronic then it wont compete on playing strength, but then they cost considerably more and have much faster processors. However, if you compare it to the older machines from the 90's then it is much stronger.

Take a look in the Tournament Results and Games section and you will see how well it performs against other machines. Estimated ratings start from around 2500+ upwards of 2700+ depending on time controls and settings. Some people such as SpaciousMind have created their own personality settings which have achieved the 2700+ ratings. Very impressive result.

It's very strong for a single core 300Mhz processor compared to the 1GHz + processors of the Revelation and Pewatronic machines. Of course, these more expensive machines are stronger, better build quality and very nice indeed.

Fortunately, the playing level can be reduced, but even when the King's processor is slowed down, it's still a dangerous opponent so care is needed. It does also have beginner levels so is suitable for a large range of players from say, intermediate to Grandmaster.

Ray
Kasparov111

Post by Kasparov111 »

Yarc wrote:
Kasparov111 wrote:It's a very nice looking board, how strong is it compared to other more well known boards?
If you compare it to the likes of the Revelation II or Pewatronic then it wont compete on playing strength, but then they cost considerably more and have much faster processors. However, if you compare it to the older machines from the 90's then it is much stronger.

Take a look in the Tournament Results and Games section and you will see how well it performs against other machines. Estimated ratings start from around 2500+ upwards of 2700+ depending on time controls and settings. Some people such as SpaciousMind have created their own personality settings which have achieved the 2700+ ratings. Very impressive result.

It's very strong for a single core 300Mhz processor compared to the 1GHz + processors of the Revelation and Pewatronic machines. Of course, these more expensive machines are stronger, better build quality and very nice indeed.

Fortunately, the playing level can be reduced, but even when the King's processor is slowed down, it's still a dangerous opponent so care is needed. It does also have beginner levels so is suitable for a large range of players from say, intermediate to Grandmaster.

Ray
Wow that's really strong, can you show me where it is on Spacious mind website? I can't seem to locate it.
Kasparov111

Re: The King Performance

Post by Kasparov111 »

Larry wrote:https://www.niggemann.com/en/computer-a ... 19339.html
Anyone here bought this one yet? I'm considering it and would be
grateful for any opinions on it. I'm partial to the de Koning programs,
and I'm guessing this one is a sort of modern day TASC.
The price looks pretty good.
Larry
Get it Larry :) Excellent price for the performance, I may get one too. All the vintage stuff is mega expensive.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Kasparov111 wrote:Wow that's really strong, can you show me where it is on Spacious mind website? I can't seem to locate it.
It's not on Spacious Mind's web site but here on this forum: http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

As you can see the ELO ratings are just short of 2700, but I never expected this machine to achieve such a high level. Having such a rating places it well into Grandmaster territory.

This rating is calculated using Spacious Mind's own test system, but translates well with actual game results, just look at the games in the results forum http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

Ray
woodpusher

Post by woodpusher »

I think 2700 is a little optimistic. Sometimes you can get a mate in 12 in a few seconds and on the other hand the endgame handling falls far short of such a high grade. But the playing style overall is excellent.
Kasparov111

Post by Kasparov111 »

Yarc wrote:
Kasparov111 wrote:Wow that's really strong, can you show me where it is on Spacious mind website? I can't seem to locate it.
It's not on Spacious Mind's web site but here on this forum: http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

As you can see the ELO ratings are just short of 2700, but I never expected this machine to achieve such a high level. Having such a rating places it well into Grandmaster territory.

This rating is calculated using Spacious Mind's own test system, but translates well with actual game results, just look at the games in the results forum http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

Ray
Ah ok now I understand, he gets the rating with the series of tests that he does, well now I can compare it directly to many of the plastic vintage boards from the 90s, most of those never break 2300, so the king is atleast 250-300 elo stronger.:)

thanks again.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Kasparov111 wrote: so the king is atleast 250-300 elo stronger.:)

thanks again.
I would say that was a fair estimate. The only true way to get an accurate rating is after 100's of games. The King's performance so far is indicating that it is very good and is doing well against other strong opponents. All these machines have their short comings and will sometimes make moves that might make a Grandmaster shudder, but overall, the tests so far are indicating a high level of play, at least against other machines.

Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote: The King's performance so far is indicating that it is very good and is doing well against other strong opponents.
Hi Ray
refresh my memory....
is the KPerformance's program an upgrade of the Laker/King modules?
I thought the only difference was the housing(dedicated board Vs modules)

Senior Moment Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:Hi Ray
refresh my memory....
is the KPerformance's program an upgrade of the Laker/King modules?
I thought the only difference was the housing(dedicated board Vs modules)

Senior Moment Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

I understand that "The King Performance" has a newer version of the program including Chess960, seven opening books and named openings.
On the German forum there has been talk that the King Lasker etc., will be getting this updated version but not until the Spring of 2020.

Apparently, there was much discussion with Millennium about this delay and now I believe they may release the update much sooner but unofficially
via a download link on the German forum. This is likely to become available when the "King Performance" is released.

I'll keep an eye out and let people know here if and when I see this download link and people can decide if they want to download it or wait for the official release.

Officially unofficial Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote: I'll keep an eye out and let people know here if and when I see this download link and people can decide if they want to download it or wait for the official release.
Thanks Ray

Pre-Ordering The Link Regards
Steve
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

I have one now. It's a sweet machine. Anyone know how it is different than the King Element? Also, I'm guessing Suspicious Minds' personalities he made for the King Element will also work with the King Performance.