Faulty Lasker Board

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Yarc

Faulty Lasker Board

Post by Yarc »

Well, today I had a reply from Millennium about the strange Black Rook problem I have been experiencing. Just to recap, the board has problems with any Black Rook on squares H8 and H1. Normally, which means about 99% of the time, when I turn on TheKing Lasker module the H8 square LEDs will continuously flash. Sometimes, if I move the Black Rook to the bottom-left corner of the square it will cure the problem, or at least, reduce the times when the Rook is not recognised.

Anyway, Millennium have confirmed the board is at fault and will be arranging an exchange when they get some more Lasker boards in stock.

Finally, I might get a 100% working Lasker Regards
Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello Ray,

Sorry to hear that, it sucks. Hope your resolution of this issue will happen soon now.

BTW, what was the email address you use for contacting them ?

Perseverance Is Key Regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

fdimeglio wrote:Hello Ray,

Sorry to hear that, it sucks. Hope your resolution of this issue will happen soon now.

BTW, what was the email address you use for contacting them ?

Perseverance Is Key Regards,

Fabrice
Thanks Fabrice.

I sent my email to: support@millennium2000.de

Yes it sucks, but at least I will be getting a new board soon. In the meantime can use the current one after a fashion.

Waiting for the Millennium Regards
Ray
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Thank you Ray.

When I used the same email to ask some questions, it took them a while to respond to me and they said:

"You have turned to the service for the SWITEL products.
We are not responsible for the sale and therefore have no information about the purchase of products, accessories or prices."

Don't quite understand what is SWITEL - maybe the email is for a contracting company doing support for them ?

Let me know Ray.

Totally Confused Regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

fdimeglio wrote:Thank you Ray.

When I used the same email to ask some questions, it took them a while to respond to me and they said:

"You have turned to the service for the SWITEL products.
We are not responsible for the sale and therefore have no information about the purchase of products, accessories or prices."

Don't quite understand what is SWITEL - maybe the email is for a contracting company doing support for them ?

Let me know Ray.

Totally Confused Regards,

Fabrice
Hi Fabrice

You should have Ray represent you in your dealings with Milllennium
they respond to him immediately while all others are asked to get to the back of the line
:P

Tough Customer Regards
Steve
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

@Steve, that should be it.

Are you meaning that except Ray all of us were having difficulties with their Customer Support ?

Obi-Ray Kenobi You Are My Only Hope Regards,

Fabrice
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

fdimeglio wrote:@Steve, that should be it.

Are you meaning that except Ray all of us were having difficulties with their Customer Support ?

Obi-Ray Kenobi You Are My Only Hope Regards,

Fabrice
Ray seems to get rapid fire responses while everyone else has to wait awhile
They Fear Him Regards
Steve
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Ah ok, exactly what I said: Obi-Ray Kenobi he is.

The Force Is With You Regards,

Fabrice
Mike Watters

Re: Faulty Lasker Board

Post by Mike Watters »

Yarc wrote:Well, today I had a reply from Millennium about the strange Black Rook problem I have been experiencing. Just to recap, the board has problems with any Black Rook on squares H8 and H1. Normally, which means about 99% of the time, when I turn on TheKing Lasker module the H8 square LEDs will continuously flash. Sometimes, if I move the Black Rook to the bottom-left corner of the square it will cure the problem, or at least, reduce the times when the Rook is not recognised.

Anyway, Millennium have confirmed the board is at fault and will be arranging an exchange when they get some more Lasker boards in stock.

Finally, I might get a 100% working Lasker Regards
Ray
Hi Ray

That was the problem with both my Lasker boards, one was failing to sense the pieces on the H file and from memory I think the other was mainly the B file. In the end they refunded my money because they couldn't supply another replacement board at the time (two months ago) and probably had no prospect of doing so in a reasonable time period. They gave up on my behalf and sent the money back without me ever asking.

Altogether a strange and frustrating experience, which however leaves me with a wrong badged The King SN 073 to go with my Exclusive.

Hoping you get a happy ending.

All the best
Mike
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Wow Mike, sorry to hear about that too. Jeeez such a bad Customer Support...

I Am Kind Of Concerned Now Regards,

Fabrice
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

I nearly fell over laughing with humorous ones.

Fabrice, I don't know why SWITEL was mentioned in your email from Millennium. A quick search on the web and I found it's a Swiss company that make mobile phones, telephones and baby monitors. Maybe they offer other services such as web and email, I don't know.

I do know Millennium were having problems with their e-mail because they were being swamped with SPAM and adjusted their SPAM filter too aggressively.

All I can say is that Millennium's email seems to be working at the moment, unless I am very lucky for mine to get through their filtering. You could try using another e-mail address, and if you are reporting a problem and don't already, give your e-mail a good meaningful title such as "Problem with Lasker set, Order Number xxx". I can't guarantee this will work, it's just a suggestion.

Mike, sorry to hear of the troubles you had with two Lasker boards! I am really surprised they gave up and refunded your money and without asking you. That does not seem very professional. I have been told that they are expecting new Lasker boards which suggests there must be a few faulty ones about. I suspect that you are now hesitant to purchase from Millennium again, but you may be able to get one of these boards with a matching serial number. You would have to ask yourself though, is it worth the hassle?

It's a real shame these issues have occurred, because TheKing module is so good and I quite like the wooden board and pieces especially for the price. I'll obviously let everyone know when I receive the replacement board and if it works. Mike, maybe this will be useful info for you if you decide to persue getting a new Lasker board?

Sent from The Millennium Falcon Regards
Obi-Ray Kenobi
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

LoL Ray, thank you for all your explanations.

C-3PO Regards,

Fabrice
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello again Obi-Ray Kenobi ;-)

My Lasker board faulted during my match Lasker - Genius last week end.

One square LED is dead ...

As I bought the machine from CHessHouse I contacted them and got a fast response from Raphael (the owner) and he just sent me another board from one of the remaining Lasker boxes he has. I will then send back him my faulty one.

Great customer support from them, but what is going on in terms of Quality Control at Millenium ???

We will see how it goes...

Swapping Lasker Boards Regards,

Fabrice
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

fdimeglio wrote:Hello again Obi-Ray Kenobi ;-)

My Lasker board faulted during my match Lasker - Genius last week end.

One square LED is dead ...

As I bought the machine from CHessHouse I contacted them and got a fast response from Raphael (the owner) and he just sent me another board from one of the remaining Lasker boxes he has. I will then send back him my faulty one.

Great customer support from them, but what is going on in terms of Quality Control at Millenium ???

We will see how it goes...

Swapping Lasker Boards Regards,

Fabrice
Hi Fabrice,

Glad to hear you received good service. These units are not proving to be very reliable. At least the first batch has been very troublesome, so hopefully more care has been taken with the later batches.

Still waiting for a replacement Regards
Ray
ntesla66

Post by ntesla66 »

Hello All,
I've acquired a Lasker board recently. At first it seemed to be functioning fine then suddenly the B1 square would not detect any piece and the B file in general was not happy. I decided what the heck lets pop the hood and void the warranty. In my prior life I was involved with electronic engineering and production of printed circuit boards and smt (surface mount components) rework. With a little poking and mucking about I determined that an intermittent connection was in the general vicinity on the pcb near the C1 square antenna at the edge of the board. I got out my rework microscope and heated up my iron and re-soldered all the connections around that ic and the 0603 passive components. The board works again. I took the time to inspect all of the solder pads under the microscope and I must say that the reflow job was not the best. Also the no-lead solder type they have used is crystallizing and will probably result in future failures by becoming brittle and fracturing. I would be very upset if I'd not been able to fix it given what I paid for it.
In praeteritis historiam effluere est