Millennium - The King - Best Personality Competition

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Millennium - The King - Best Personality Competition

Post by spacious_mind »

The King Element is really great and you can have loads of fun with it. So I thought perhaps we should start a forum competition to see who can create the best style that scores the highest in these tests which you can download here. You can also use this spreadsheet to track your King scores if you wish. Now the highest rated overall performer does not automatically mean it is the strongest King, but probably it will be right up there as the 5 test games cover normal, aggressive and defensive situations. So you should have some fun testing your King personalities.

Perhaps next year we should do an online King of Kings Tournament where we can test our created best personalities against each other and include standard personalities as well to see what happens in real match situations.

Therefore I would suggest that we keep our personalities to ourselves for one year and disclose them to everyone on January 1, 2020. So that should keep us busy and active creating personalities for a while.

These tests below are all at 30 Seconds per move. If someone wants to do a different time setting the please disclose and we can track these separately to compare at different time settings.

To play the test it is easy. You start with 2 player mode until you enter the moves to the test start positions. The you cease two player mode and press enter button to start King Thinking. You play each white and black move by using the Take Back button when you have to and the enter button to start King thinking. Please be consistent so the scores can be measure accurately, you play with each move white then black then white then black and so on.

Anway to kick this off here is a first personality that I created with their test scores. The personalities that I create I am going to name by States in the United States. So the first personality is King of Alaska:

King of Alaska

King of Alaska did not do too bad, it finished ahead of three of the five built in personalities. Game 5 seems to be Alaska's nemesis preventing it from scoring better.

The next one is King of Arizona...

King of Arizona

King of Arizona seems to be a bit more balanced in this royal game, but perhaps a little conservative. King of Arizona does seem to be a stronger ruler than King of Alaska, but still a ways behind being able to battle it out for world supremancy with King Active.

King MV

Micha at Schachcomputer.Info in order to promore interest posted a style of his. He named it MV. For this one Micha showed how he created the style so this one is is helpfully for you to study and perhaps inspire you to create your own.

King MV is a bit of a conservative King and I am pretty sure that this trait has helped him to consolidate his territories and as you can see King MV has its eyes firmly set on overthrowing King Active, but King MV is not quite there since in Test Game 1 King MV got smacked around a bit.

OK since alphabetically speaking the States in USA start with Alabama and I live in Alabama, I withheld the best to last. Here are the results of the non-conforming upstart King of Alabama:

King of Alabama

Well the non conforming upstart King of Alabama decided to smack everyone around and set his goal to be the supreme ruler of all Kings from the get go and handily dethrones King Active to become supreme ruler of all!

Anyway if you are having fun creating your personalities, then please post your scores here using the same tests. And remember January 1, 2020 we disclose the settings as by disclosing here, you are also hereby committed to playing a Tournament of Kings next year!!

Ho! Ho! Ho! and a Merry Christmas to everyone.
Nick
Josef

Post by Josef »

Very good results indeed!!
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Sorry I forgot to post the Link. Here is the link where you can download the tests:

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... th+century

Best regards
Nick
Dave C

King Personality

Post by Dave C »

Hi Nick,

A very cool idea and should provide a lot of fun competition in the coming year. I need a tutorial for how to create a personality...after I get the King module working... :cry:

Dave
spacious_mind

Re: King Personality

Post by spacious_mind »

Dave C wrote:Hi Nick,

A very cool idea and should provide a lot of fun competition in the coming year. I need a tutorial for how to create a personality...after I get the King module working... :cry:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I am hoping that there is some interest in creating the strongest King and then compete with it.

It is not so hard, there is a brief explanatation in the manual and if you study the build in styles you will figure out how to create one for yourself.

Regards

Nick
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Well, the non conforming upstart King did not last long in Alabama. As it turned out his mother confessed on her deathbed to a priest that she had a brief relationship with the King of Arkansas while her husband was out pillaging in Georgia.

Her chambermaid overheard and gossiped in the royal kitchen. The news quickly travelled throughout the Kingdom of Alabama that not only did they have a non conforming upstart King, but also Bastard King and worst of all he was an Arkansan.

This created a riot thoughout the Kingdom and the Royal Guard mutineered, arrested the King and threw him in the dungeon.

A spy from the kingless court of Arkansas witnessed the arrest and that same night drugged the guards and orchestrated a cleverly devised jailbreak and travel arragements to send the King to Arkansas.

The people of Arkansas were delighted, they have been unsuccessfully trying for more than year to find a direct blood line replacement to the deceased King Hillary of Arkansas and therefore quickly crowned the non conforming upstart bastard to King of Arkansas.

Meanwhile back in Alabama, the two jail Guards were demoted to Pawns and sent to guard the border while a wall is being built around the Kingdom.

Anyway every story has a fairy tale ending. As it happened the old King's brother has a son just coming of age whose royal bloodline can be traced directly back to prehistoric times 199 years ago, his birthmark a redneck abrasion proves it.

So at around the same time that the King of Arkansas was crowned, Alabama crowned their new King Bubba of Alabama.

As fate would have it, King Bubba of Alabama turned out to be a very wise and able King. Everyone in the Kingdom fondly nicknamed him King Prawn because of his fondess of eating shrimp caught in the Gulf and transported by mule from the harbour town of Mobile directly to the Kings Court market.

So every one was happy again, except for Georgia...

King of Arkansas

King of Arkansa who was briefly King of Alabama is still a very powerful King.

King of Alabama

Well the new King of Alabama is a very powerful King indeed! He scored over 2500 ELO in all 5 games and even scored over 2900 in games 2 and 3!!

I think a new target to achieve is 2700 folks!!!

Sorry but I had to make something up quickly so that Alabama gets a new King!! :)

Best regards
Nick
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

Can you program it to treat you all gentle and considerate-like and hold you tight when it's done and call you darlin'?
nature abhors a vacuum cleaner
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Don't see why not. I've programmed mine to say 'now I know what you're thinking, you don't know if I've fired six shots or only five,to tell you the truth,in all the excitement, I've kind of lost count myself, but you have to ask yourself a question ' Regards Steve C.
PoisonedPawn

Post by PoisonedPawn »

This is very intriguing. I assume all of the settings under User 1-4 menu are included in the personality?

Is the contempt factor prescribed, or can it be varied with the personality, or even varied from game to game?

For the tournament, what will the format be?

It might be a good idea to include one or more non-King entries to ensure that the strongest personality is well-rounded instead of just doing well against versions of the King.

Regards,
Neil
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I added some more personalities.

King of Florida has taken the lead with a score of 2680 ELO!!

Pursuing 2700+ regards
Nick
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

spacious_mind wrote:I added some more personalities.

King of Florida has taken the lead with a score of 2680 ELO!!

Pursuing 2700+ regards
Hi Nick,

You have some extraordinary results here. 2680 ELO is way beyond what I thought TheKing would achieve albeit with a custom made personality. Do you think this rating would translate to actual games?

TheKing is a Gransmaster Regards
Ray
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Yarc,

Take a look here where I played a couple of personalities against Revelation Rybka.

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15

Regards
Nick
Nick
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

spacious_mind wrote:Hi Yarc,

Take a look here where I played a couple of personalities against Revelation Rybka.

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15

Regards
Nick

Hi Nick,

Just catching up on all the results and things to do with TheKing. The match against Revelation Rybka is just amazing. I would never have expected that and it proves that your test scores do correlate well with actual match points. Maybe a rating of 2700 is achievable.

I remember trying a game between PC Hiarcs set to 2200 ELO against the Lang module, but PC Hiarcs was still way too strong. I might try this again with TheKing, but I remember wondering at the time how accurately PC Hiarcs does emulate the weaker ratings. From test results it appears that the Lang module is around 2400, so something was not quite right with PC Hiarcs at 2200. Either that, or the rating I have for the Magellan and Star diamond are not correct. This is difficult to believe with all the results we have for these machines.

I'll have to have a tinker with personalities soon Regards
Ray
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Okay since I hate secrets myself its time to release King of Colorado. As I mentioned before hopefully it will encourage more ideas and we all get a step closer to finding the perfect King Personality. I make no promises other than I have been very pleased with how it performed against Revelation Rybka and Shredder 11.74 so far playing at 30 seconds per move.

But King of Colorado does seem to play intelligently and active which for me is the biggest part of the fun as I love active chess.

King of Colorado Personality

As I said Steve the ideas bear no resemblance to MV. I look at things differently when I play chess. I was creating personalities before I was even made aware of MV :)

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:Okay since I hate secrets myself its time to release King of Colorado. As I mentioned before hopefully it will encourage more ideas and we all get a step closer to finding the perfect King Personality. I make no promises other than I have been very pleased with how it performed against Revelation Rybka and Shredder 11.74 so far playing at 30 seconds per move.

But King of Colorado does seem to play intelligently and active which for me is the biggest part of the fun as I love active chess.

King of Colorado Personality

As I said Steve the ideas bear no resemblance to MV. I look at things differently when I play chess. I was creating personalities before I was even made aware of MV :)

Best regards
i thought you would hold the setting until they accepted the challenge
anyway....which column is Colorado ?

Boulder University Regards
Steve