I know something of Dr.Donninger

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chrilly

I know something of Dr.Donninger

Post by chrilly »

I am in regular contact with Dr.Donninger. He is still alive. The money for the Hydra project arrives each month on his bank-account in the Austrian Woodquarter highlands. He works also for FPGA projects in Computer Tomography. He recently told me, that he has a serious problem: He earns too much money. As an old computer-chess programmer he is not used to this situation and it worries him. Due to these projects he has not enough time to read regularly the inspiring computer chess forum entries. He misses them a lot.

Dr. Donninger told me, that he did not know that Aaron Nimzowitsch was a Jew. As an Anti-Semite he would not have called his programm and his company after a Jew. But now its too late to change it to Aljechin.

I showed him the postings and asked him to answer them. But he was upset that he was called an Anti-American. In contrary he is a big fan of President Bush's environmental policy and the energy consumption of the US-citizens. The Woodquarter highlands are the second coldest place in Austria. According a proverb its 8 months winter, 4 months cold. He hopes that in is old days the climate gets more comfortable due to global warming. His dream are 7 months winter, 3 months cold and 2 months mild. Dr.Donninger hates only one American. The Austrian Arnie Schwarzenegger. Arnies environmental plans could be the end of his 2 months mild dream.
Besides this are his Hyda-$ paid by the US gasoline consumers. He would miss them.

Chrilly
Enir

Re: I know something of Dr.Donninger

Post by Enir »

chrilly wrote:I am in regular contact with Dr.Donninger. He is still alive. The money for the Hydra project arrives each month on his bank-account in the Austrian Woodquarter highlands. He works also for FPGA projects in Computer Tomography. He recently told me, that he has a serious problem: He earns too much money. As an old computer-chess programmer he is not used to this situation and it worries him.
Worry not! Send it to me. :)
chrilly wrote:Due to these projects he has not enough time to read regularly the inspiring computer chess forum entries. He misses them a lot.

Dr. Donninger told me, that he did not know that Aaron Nimzowitsch was a Jew. As an Anti-Semite he would not have called his programm and his company after a Jew. But now its too late to change it to Aljechin.

I showed him the postings and asked him to answer them. But he was upset that he was called an Anti-American. In contrary he is a big fan of President Bush's environmental policy and the energy consumption of the US-citizens. The Woodquarter highlands are the second coldest place in Austria. According a proverb its 8 months winter, 4 months cold. He hopes that in is old days the climate gets more comfortable due to global warming. His dream are 7 months winter, 3 months cold and 2 months mild. Dr.Donninger hates only one American. The Austrian Arnie Schwarzenegger. Arnies environmental plans could be the end of his 2 months mild dream.
Besides this are his Hyda-$ paid by the US gasoline consumers. He would miss them.

Chrilly
It makes me very happy to read you, Chrilly. Ans sends you her love. She is next to me reading your post.

All the very best,
Enrique
DarkSide

Post by DarkSide »

I just hope that Hydra can return someday and puts in clear the supremacy about who is the more powerful chess entity of the world, tnx for the information.
DarkSide

Post by DarkSide »

By the way ... time ago I read in the Rybka forum that before the match with Adams was a small match between Hydra and Hiarcs 10 ,somebody has record of this match, of course, if it happened some day
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

chrilly wrote:I am in regular contact with Dr.Donninger. He is still alive. The money for the Hydra project arrives each month on his bank-account in the Austrian Woodquarter highlands. He works also for FPGA projects in Computer Tomography. He recently told me, that he has a serious problem: He earns too much money. As an old computer-chess programmer he is not used to this situation and it worries him. Due to these projects he has not enough time to read regularly the inspiring computer chess forum entries. He misses them a lot.

Chrilly
I guess you think this is very amusing :roll:

Mind sharing those wonderful pictures you took while on vacation in 03 and 06?

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Terry McCracken

Putting aside our differences; Will Hydra be playing any time soon?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

DarkSide wrote:I just hope that Hydra can return someday and puts in clear the supremacy about who is the more powerful chess entity of the world, tnx for the information.
From the first post:
"Dr. Donninger told me, that he did not know that Aaron Nimzowitsch was a Jew. As an Anti-Semite he would not have called his programm and his company after a Jew. But now its too late to change it to Aljechin."

I just hope that no anti-semite is going to show superiority in chess
relative to other programs.

Uri
TurboKing

Post by TurboKing »

As an Anti-Semite he would not have called his programm and his company after a Jew
Thanks for confirming that this guy is racist.
I hope that he'll never have to post in this forum.
And I hope that he'll soon give up chess and chess programming.
Chess community should reject hatred people and esp racist/anti jews people.
That is just my opinion though.
He hopes that in is old days the climate gets more comfortable due to global warming
How selfish , he does not give a s*** about global warming.
this guy only cares about himself ,he's hopeless.
chrilly

Post by chrilly »

DarkSide wrote:By the way ... time ago I read in the Rybka forum that before the match with Adams was a small match between Hydra and Hiarcs 10 ,somebody has record of this match, of course, if it happened some day
This is new for me. We did not prepare against other machines and especially not against Hiarcs. Adams and Hiarcs play different. It was the task of GM Lutz to simulate Mickey. We played on a server and I welcomed him even with "Hallo Mickey".
Up to me knowledge the only comparison with Hiarcs was: A British journalist sent me some difficult tactical problems. Hiarcs was - of course - much better than the other "little boys" in solving them. I tested the positions on the Hydra Cluster. In one position, Hydra found a better solution. The summary of the journalist (do not remember his name) was: In the difficult positions Hydra is strong, but not spectacular, the difference is in the very difficult positions.
The reason for this is simple: The parallel cluster needs some time till all the processors are busy. The search tree must be big enough, otherwise there is not enough work available.
If the problem can be solved on a PC in e.g. 3 minutes, the cluster has no chance to solve them in a few seconds. If the solution takes on a PC 3 hours, the Cluster starts to shine.

But when posting the original message the admin Harvey Williamson asked me to give a proove of my identity:
Did one of Chrillys programs ever play Hiarcs with him and Mark there to operate if so where was that and was it a good game?
I had not the slightest clue either. So maybe there was a match and I just did not got it. Like the glorious Nimzo-Hiarcs match of 1993.

I was never much interested in chess. I like the programming challenge and at the tournament my job is already done. I also hated to sit there and to depend completly on the whims of ones own "creature". So I do not remember well the games. I remember e.g. quite well buggy code sequences.

Chrilly
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

TurboKing wrote:
As an Anti-Semite he would not have called his programm and his company after a Jew
Thanks for confirming that this guy is racist.
I hope that he'll never have to post in this forum.
And I hope that he'll soon give up chess and chess programming.
Chess community should reject hatred people and esp racist/anti jews people.
That is just my opinion though.
He hopes that in is old days the climate gets more comfortable due to global warming
How selfish , he does not give a s*** about global warming.
this guy only cares about himself ,he's hopeless.
Lets try to discuss Computer Chess here - no more posts like this please.

Thanks,

Harvey
chrilly

Post by chrilly »

DarkSide wrote:I just hope that Hydra can return someday and puts in clear the supremacy about who is the more powerful chess entity of the world, tnx for the information.
It depends on the Hydra-sponsor not on me. Personally I find the FPGA programming job in Computer-Tomography also very interesting. I have e.g. become an expert for Analog to Digital converters. When starting the project, I could not even spell most of the things.
From the games I think poker is more interesting than chess. Its clear how to write a strong chess programm. Its only the "little" details which makes them different. In poker nobody really knows how to write a strong programm. There is e.g. no good search algorithm. It would be an interesting challenge to find one.
In 2006 I was invited as a special guest in Linares. Its called the Wimbledon of chess. But there were never more than 10 spectators present, no groupies, no strawberries, only boring. I usually took a nap after move 20. When one comes back after half an hour, nothing has changed. Chess is an anachronistic game. Its much too slow for the modern times. I think it will disappear from the general mainstream of society and will only survive as a sort of counter-movement to the ever faster rythmn of life. Like "slow-food" as the alternative to McDonalds et al.
The favorite saying of the general manager of PAL-computing is: "Chess is a waste of time, only cricket is worse". From the point of view of a modern dynamic manager I think he is right. Life is in UAE much faster than in Europe. This point is also the simple reason that Hydra is not very active at the moment. The Hydra-sponsor is busy with building an own city. Even for a chess aficionado than ZorChamp building a city is more interesting than playing chess.

The fading away of chess is already under way. E.g. several chess columns in newspapers all over Europe were cancelled. I did not read anything in Austrian media about the latest world-championship. A publisher of chess magazine asked me about my favorite for the forthcoming WC. My answer was: "What WC, never heared of it". Without this mail I would not even know that a WC was going on.

In other regions of the world things are a little bit different. E.g. in India chess is growing in popularity. Its less worse than watching cricket.

Chrilly
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

chrilly wrote:
Chess is an anachronistic game. Its much too slow for the modern times. I think it will disappear from the general mainstream of society and will only survive as a sort of counter-movement to the ever faster rythmn of life.
i am not so sure Chess was ever in the general mainstream of society except perhaps in the old USSR(which used chess as an opiate for the masses and as propaganda to proclaim the success of communism and the Soviet State)

for a brief time during the "Fischer Boom"(1972-1975) chess briefly entered the mainstream culture in the US but it eventually slipped back into relative obscurity

i think it was Capablanca that first said chess was all but played out or dead or something similar ..and then Fischer made similar statements after him

Capa's statement was made something like 50-60 years ago and Fischer's i think perhaps 20 years ago

and yet we are still here..as interested as before

i think the Internet will keep chess alive through forums like this and online play...of course cheating in chess online is rampant and problematic

Chess will Survive until Solved Regards
Steve
DarkSide

Post by DarkSide »

Dr. Donninger
It would be then possible, if you are disinterested in the development of the Hydra project or other chess proyect, that you free the Hydra(or brutus or nimzo)code for the chess community?, perhaps this could enrich the chess scene, for my Hydra plays amazing chess and it is a pain that is not continued developing more, if you release the code could be that somebody can keep improving it.
On the other hand I would like that a little wrote about the Che language , I read somewhere that this allow to add chess knowledge without reducing the speed search, would you like that gave me a small explanation of this and howcan I get the language manual Che and maybe some english manual?
Thank for your time and regards :!:
Terry McCracken

DarkSide wrote:Dr. Donninger
It would be then possible, if you are disinterested in the development of the Hydra project or other chess proyect, that you free the Hydra(or brutus or nimzo)code for the chess community?, perhaps this could enrich the chess scene, for my Hydra plays amazing chess and it is a pain that is not continued developing more, if you release the code could be that somebody can keep improving it.
On the other hand I would like that a little wrote about the Che language , I read somewhere that this allow to add chess knowledge without reducing the speed search, would you like that gave me a small explanation of this and howcan I get the language manual Che and maybe some english manual?
It can't be made public as it's encoded in the hardware. You can't put Hydra on a PC or any computer. It has to be engineered from the bottom up.

Youl'd have to buy Hydra, if it were for sale.

I'd love to see Anand play Kick the Can Regards....
chrilly

Post by chrilly »

DarkSide wrote:Dr. Donninger
As said before, the Hydra project goes on. I recieve every month the Hydra payments on my account. The Hydra sponsor is just busy with building a new city and has little time for chess. Maybe he gets quite involved in it again. I do not know, but one can not give code away someone else pays for.
Besides this, the code would be of little use for normal PCs. Its especially optimized for the FPGA-hardware. There is a C-simulator available, but this simulator is extremly slow.
Concerning Nimzo: It is not anymore state of the art. A lot of things have improved in the last years and it would not be competitive anymore.

Chrilly