Enrique Irazoqui, Dead

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Enrique Irazoqui, Dead

Post by Fernando »

Just yesterday I knew that my spanish friend, Enrique Irazoqui, a very known personaliity of the chess computer community, died in september 2020. I do not know the causes. He was 76 years old.

Many of you, the younger, probably know nothing about him. He was a very culltivated person and an actor, the one that represented Jesus in the famous Passolini movie, Chess lover, he became in time one of the most knowledgeable people about chess computers,being part of many activities in that field. He wrote lot of things in today vanished Computer Chess Reports and in any way he made felt his rich personality in this tiny chess world.

Farewell, Enrique

Fern
Festina Lente
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Enrique Irazoqui, Dead

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Fernando wrote:Just yesterday I knew that my spanish friend, Enrique Irazoqui, a very known personaliity of the chess computer community, died in september 2020. I do not know the causes. He was 76 years old.

Many of you, the younger, probably know nothing about him. He was a very culltivated person and an actor, the one that represented Jesus in the famous Passolini movie, Chess lover, he became in time one of the most knowledgeable people about chess computers,being part of many activities in that field. He wrote lot of things in today vanished Computer Chess Reports and in any way he made felt his rich personality in this tiny chess world.

Farewell, Enrique

Fern
Very sad news, Fern, I used to chat with him a lot.

I found this obituary https://www.archyde.com/death-of-enriqu ... -pasolini/
mclane

Post by mclane »

Its sad when people die, Fernando.
Wasnt enrique the guy who worked with rathsmann and hirsch concerning big book ?!
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Fluppio

Post by Fluppio »

mclane wrote:Wasnt enrique the guy who worked with rathsmann and hirsch concerning big book ?!
https://www.chessprogramming.org/Sandro_Necchi

https://www.chessprogramming.org/Enrique_Irazoqui

I knew him mostly for his Cadaques tournaments in the CSS.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Ah yes, mixed this up.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
dedicate computers

about Enrique

Post by dedicate computers »

Just yesterday I knew that my spanish friend, Enrique Irazoqui, a very known personaliity of the chess computer community, died in september 2020. I do not know the causes. He was 76 years old.

Hi Fernando,
I believe that he was a supervisor for some time in the chessbase engine room, I had contact with him.
Regards
Oswald
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: about Enrique

Post by Fernando »

dedicate computers wrote:

Hi Fernando,
I believe that he was a supervisor for some time in the chessbase engine room, I had contact with him.
Regards
Oswald
Maybe. He was engaged in lot of things, But I do not know thje details.
Probably Steven Blincoe knows morte or even Steve Schwartz, the firs owner of ICD chess and in usual contact with enrique

Searching the filkes regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: about Enrique

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote: Maybe. He was engaged in lot of things, But I do not know thje details.
Probably Steven Blincoe knows morte or even Steve Schwartz, the firs owner of ICD chess and in usual contact with enrique
He was a moderator on the CTF for some years around the same time i was a mod on the CCC
We had a good correspondence for a few years and then it faded away
one of his first reviews of a chess computer for the CCR was for a Scisys Mark V ...he knew i was a collector and he asked me if i could get him one which i did

i found him to be a very interesting and intelligent person
Everyone is slowing fading away

Soon the Bell Will Toll For Us My Friend regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Just played a game againts that machine in honor of Enrrique. I gave 40 seconds per move to the thing and I beated it almost without thinking. It is very weak....

Fern
Festina Lente