Fidelity Sicilian modul

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kgvetter

Fidelity Sicilian modul

Post by kgvetter »

Hello,

I own a Fidelity Grandmaster-Modul. which has the Encycopedia modules A-E included plus an extra F-Module. I agree with the arbiter elegantiorum, Steve B. that this contraption was never released by Fidelity but by Reckwitz and later by SteveUK. But what is F ? Wolfgang Zugrav, an Austrian correspondence GM, collector and conaisseur of computerchess-history has the theory that F is identical with the never released Sicilian modul, which makes sense.

I have sent the module to Barcelona, it works fine but needed a nicer housing.
When it comes back I will scrutinize the opening lines in regard to Wolfgangs claim.

Sicilian regards, Gerhard
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Fidelity Sicilian modul

Post by Steve B »

kgvetter wrote:Hello,

I own a Fidelity Grandmaster-Modul. which has the Encycopedia modules A-E included plus an extra F-Module. I agree with the arbiter elegantiorum, Steve B. that this contraption was never released by Fidelity but by Reckwitz and later by SteveUK. But what is F ? Wolfgang Zugrav, an Austrian correspondence GM, collector and conaisseur of computerchess-history has the theory that F is identical with the never released Sicilian modul, which makes sense.

I have sent the module to Barcelona, it works fine but needed a nicer housing.
When it comes back I will scrutinize the opening lines in regard to Wolfgangs claim.

Sicilian regards, Gerhard
Well as you mentioned Fidelity never released a Sicilian module however they did release a Tarrasch Defense Module(Model TDF) ..extremely rare
so i will guess that this could be the mysterious F module

Defensive Regards
Steve
Fluppio

Post by Fluppio »

Hello Gerhard, Hello Steve,

I own a Glasgow from Fidelity Germany - the Peter Reckwitz company of the early 80s - which is fully equipped with the GM books (A-E) and the mysterious "F" book. Usually I tend to play with the GM books, as they reference to each other when the opening lines change, whereas the "F"book stays alone.

Yes, the "F" always plays 1.e4 as White and always 1. e4 c5 as Black. So it could be that it is a version of the never released Sicilian module, but only an unfinished and rudimentary. A few opening lines are deep, like the Sicilian Dragon and the Rossolimo but other lines stop after a few moves.

F.E. The Sicilian Alapin:

1. e4 c5 2. c3 a6?! Nf3 (mainline) and end of book. Very short for a special sicilian book.

If the F-book plays this variation alone it's: 1.e4 c5 2.c3 a6?! 3.Nh3?! Nh6?! 4.Qe2 a5? Strange.

F.E. Morra Gambit: 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 and end of book.

So I think the "F" is only a fragment. Instead of a wide and fully sicilian repertoire, it has some decent passive opening lines against 1.d4, c4 and f4.

Uncertain regards, Peter
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Peter

I have your excellent web site bookmarked but you haven't updated it for a while know. Any chance of you updating it?

Regards
Bryan
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hello Peter,

thanks for your interesting input. I tend to agree with you that is is an incomplete Sicilian book. When I get my module back from Spain, where it is curently for inspection and repair, I will run a test and check out the lines it contains.

In the meantime,

waiting regards, Gerhard
Fluppio

Post by Fluppio »

Bryan Whitby wrote:Hi Peter

I have your excellent web site bookmarked but you haven't updated it for a while know. Any chance of you updating it?

Regards
Bryan
Hello Bryan,

job done😄

https://chess-computer.blogspot.com/202 ... -book.html

Best, Peter
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hello everybody,

I had sent my GM-Module to Gerardo aka Berger for inspection. Instead of repairing it he designed an amazing contraption. It is a multibook-cartridge with all the known Fidelity opening books with a 4 position DIP switch, through which you can select any book (CB9, CB16, A, B, C, D, E, TDF or SDF) or the "Book OFF" position.

All in a cartridge the size of a CB9. It works great with my Elite Privat and I am having indefinite fun of comparing the lines of the different books...

Bookworm regards,

Gerhard
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

kgvetter wrote:Hello everybody,

I had sent my GM-Module to Gerardo aka Berger for inspection. Instead of repairing it he designed an amazing contraption. It is a multibook-cartridge with all the known Fidelity opening books with a 4 position DIP switch, through which you can select any book (CB9, CB16, A, B, C, D, E, TDF or SDF) or the "Book OFF" position.

All in a cartridge the size of a CB9. It works great with my Elite Privat and I am having indefinite fun of comparing the lines of the different books...

Bookworm regards,

Gerhard
Hi Gerhard
so now you have a modified version of a book module which was never released for sale
a double no-no
:P

seriously though..

i still dont understand where the info for the so called "SDF" book module originally comes from?
this was never released for sale so what is the source of the book lines to begin with ?
did Reckwitz/SteveUK just enter some Sicilian Lines when they made the so called "GM" Module??

Sicilian Slice Regards
Steve
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hello Steve,

I understand your purist view of things. Just to try to soothe your well known temper in this matter I will describe two aqusitions I made this month. I got a very nice München board from England with Lyon 32 bit modules. I could not resist to modify the Lyon-programm to a Vancouver and fittet it with a LED-display, slight mods.

But in the unmodified section I was able to buy a TSB La Regence (without the help of my Maroccans, who still believe that Capaplanca is the name of their capital, but they have a different alphabet) which is and will remain unmodified forever, I mean as long as I live and that won't be forever...

longevity regards, Gerhard
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

kgvetter wrote:

But in the unmodified section I was able to buy a TSB La Regence (without the help of my Maroccans, who still believe that Capaplanca is the name of their capital, but they have a different alphabet) which is and will remain unmodified forever, I mean as long as I live and that won't be forever...
well i hope you enjoy your TSB for many many years

so i guess no one know's where the Sicilian lines came from..

Anyway..There is one more module that Fidelity did release which is compatible with your Elite Privat....
the CG64(64 Greatest Games )

now i must mention that this module is very hard to find... so as a suggestion...Perhaps Berger or SteveUK can just pick 64 games that are their personal favorites and they can squeeze that into the module for you

Tounge-In-Cheek Regards
Steve
Berger

Post by Berger »

Steve B wrote: (...) now i must mention that this module is very hard to find... so as a suggestion...Perhaps Berger or SteveUK can just pick 64 games that are their personal favorites and they can squeeze that into the module for you
Hello Steve,

You can continue to make sarcastic, insulting comments and denigrating the work I do. But I have just reproduced something that already existed, because I could not repair it because of the damage it had. I haven't invented anything new, I haven't faked a so-called SDF and I don't do things like the one you propose. Often you also blame the emulation work that several of us do, but if we didn't carry out the work we do on MAME, of dumping roms and technical documentation, many repairs would no longer be possible, and many chess computers would no longer be operational. This is about preserving the history of chess computers, and there is not only one way to do that.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't make any more sarcasm about me, thank you.

Best,
Gerardo (aka Berger)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Berger wrote:

You can continue to make sarcastic, insulting comments and denigrating the work I do.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't make any more sarcasm about me, thank you.

Best,
Gerardo (aka Berger)

i was making a few jokes evidenced by posting smileys and i used the term "tongue in cheek"..which means a whimsical unimportant comment not to be taken seriously
i have never attacked you personally...in fact i think the above post was the first time i ever mentioned your name
(i can check my 9800+ posts to make sure but i would die of old age before i finished)
i think you are over reacting and are too sensitive
still.. if i have offended you then i apologize

i personally do not care for modified computers and i am not a big fan of emulations although i do own some emulations
just today a member PM'd me wanting to run a match using your emulations. he needed info on some level settings for one of the computers
i was happy to provide the info to him so he could run the match

i will continue to express my personal opinions about these issues
some agree with my opinion and some do not
this is what we do here..we express our personal opinions

Stay Safe Regards
Steve