In memory of Kurt Kispert

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

In memory of Kurt Kispert

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi all,

A few days ago we learned that Kurt Kispert has passed away unexpectedly, at the age of 60 years.
He was a collector of dedicated computers, and inspired many collectors with his website http://www.schachcomputer.at/.
In fact he probably caused the revival of dedicated chess computers in many ways.
In 2001 he organized the first D.A.CH. OldieComputer-Tournament in the South-German city of Kaufbeuren.
Rob van Son met him then in Vienna (Austria) and interviewed him.
To honour Kurt, this interview is now republished with the help of Hein Veldhuis and Rob van Son. The original pictures then taken are included.
See http://www.schaakcomputers.nl/hein_veld ... Vienna.pdf

May he rest in peace.

Regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I am VERY saddened to hear this news

Kurt was a true pioneer in the hobby of dedicated chess computers
he had the VERY first website showing a collection of dedicated computers
for many years in the late 1990's and early 2000's we were very close
we emailed each other every week.. in addition to trading computers with him ..i helped him with chess computers he was searching for on Ebay USA..he in turn helped me with computers i was looking for and he connected me to several European collectors

all collectors today stand on his shoulders

very very bad news
May he rest in peace

:cry: Regards :cry:
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Also saddened by this terrible news. So young! His excellent site was
a regular port of call for me.
RIP....
Dave C

A loss to our community

Post by Dave C »

I have also enjoyed his excellent website for many years and have especially enjoyed his listing of other collectors and their chess computers and their favorite chess computers.

RIP Kurt

A distance collecting friend,
Dave :(
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Steve,

I made a typo in my post, Kurt's age was 60, not 61.
Also I should have mentioned that Rob van Son helped with republishing and editing Hein's item.
So, Rob asked me to correct this...
Could you make these 2 changes please?
61 => 60
"with the help of Hein Veldhuis" => "with the help of Hein Veldhuis and Rob van Son"

Peanut authorship regards,
Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi Steve,

I made a typo in my post, Kurt's age was 60, not 61.
Also I should have mentioned that Rob van Son helped with republishing and editing Hein's item.
So, Rob asked me to correct this...
Could you make these 2 changes please?
61 => 60
"with the help of Hein Veldhuis" => "with the help of Hein Veldhuis and Rob van Son"

Peanut authorship regards,
Paul
60..even younger
:(

Corrections Made Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Steve B wrote: 60..even younger
:(

Corrections Made Regards
Steve
Thanx very much Steve! :-)
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

At this rate of deceases very soon there will be more chess collectors in heaven than here in earth
Kurt, prepare a place for me
Fern
Festina Lente
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

That is hard to understand - I know Kurt for many years as organizer of the Kaufbeuren chess computer tournament.
I am very sorry that he's dead!
Michael
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

I am also very sad to hear this news. May he Rest In Peace.

His website was, and still is, a marvel to me with so many machines and rarities. I used to dream about getting some day such machines.

Let's hope the website will be preserved.

Best regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

what for a horror message.

In winboard times he helps me a lot. His wife created the Frank's Chess Page logos, I created him the Parsimony forum for many years. For around one year I try to contact him with a question to a chess computer. He wrote that he is to be in bad shape (hope this English is correct) and gave some details.

All this makes me very sad and unhappy.
So many contacts I had with him and we had a lot of fun (around in the years 1998 - 2003).

A very important person in computer chess, all the years Kurt have a nice hobby with the older chess computers.

A bad day for me!

Best
Frank
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Very sad to read this.

Reading Kurt's interview by Rob Van Son, which was reprinted in Selective Search 109 (January 2004), and from that discovering Kurt's website had a lot to do with kicking off my chess computer collecting hobby. I always had a few chess computers (since 1980) but Kurt's website oozed knowledge and enthusiasm which sparked off in me a great interest in learning and experiencing more. As Steve says we collectors all stood on Kurt's shoulders.

Mike
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Lost count the number of times I visited Kurt's web site. It's certainly sad to hear of his passing and at such an early age. A lesson to all of us, we must enjoy life as much as possible, and I'm sure Kurt did with his great collection and hobby.

Regards Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
Lars Sandin
SSDF

Post by Lars Sandin »

I am also very sad to hear of his passing and my deepest condolences goes to his family and friends.

His website was, and still is, a marvel of interesting facts about the old gems of our beloved hobby. His pictures was often the first time I was able to actually see the dedicated chess computers that one only had dreamt and read about in our former SSDF magazine - PLY.
As already has been stated - he was truly a great pioneer with his homepage/knowledge and our dedicated chess world has lost one more great soul now. May he be remembered fondly for his efforts and for all his work promoting our fantastic hobby for a greater audience.
Lars Sandin, SSDF