In memory of Tony Hedlund

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Lars Sandin
SSDF

In memory of Tony Hedlund

Post by Lars Sandin »

It is with deepest regrets that I must inform you that our long-time forum/SSDF-member Tony Hedlund, sadly passed away back in early November last year.

Tony was an integral part of the SSDF for over 30 years and certainly a key part of its strength in the last ten years. He was responsible for our valued SSDF database of test games since 1997, wrote many articles and commented games in our former magazine PLY. His sustained contribution over the years was driven by his strong interest in computers, chess and computer-chess. The SSDF also benefitted from his knowledge, vision, rigour and aspiration to the highest standards of testing. His vigorous efforts often worked as a great motivator and drove fellow contributors forward. All this ensured that the International Computer Chess Association continued to regard the SSDF’s testing regime as the gold standard and publish the SSDF ‘Top 50’ list.

The SSDF rating list which we publish today is therefore dedicated in honour of Tony Hedlund.

Chess was clearly a big part of Tony’s life. He test-played with his chess computers both manually and later automatically. He was an enthusiastic, strong correspondence chess player, and reached the rank of International Correspondence Chess Grand Master in 2005. He wrote many articles about opening- studies, biographies and commented games in Korrschack (formerly SSKK-bulletinen), the official magazine for correspondence chess here in Sweden. Away from the desk, he also liked long-distance running and ran several marathons.

It is difficult to find words to describe how much he has meant to us. His dedication was a source of inspiration for me personally and for all of us in the SSDF.

He was the one friend I communicated with by mail the most, and as such – the silence which ensued after his death was deafening. This certainly made me understand how much you could miss a person with which you had only communicated electronically and never met face to face.

Tony, you made our world a better place and we thank you for everything.
Lars Sandin, SSDF
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

He was a true pioneer in the world of computer Chess

May He Rest In Peace

Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Lars

Sorry to hear about the sad news.

I communicated with Tony many years ago on numerous occasions together with Goran Grottling.

Respectfully yours
Bryan
mclane

Post by mclane »

This is very sad to read. My condolences.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Hi Lars, yes RIP Tony Hedlund, it was a common practice of mine whenever my Selective Search arrived, instead of opening the first page, to flip the magazine over and look at the latest SSDF ratings. Steve C.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Sorry to hear of this. And gone so long before we learn of it.
RIP Tony
L
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Ohh very sorry to hear that, this is a very sad news. RIP Tony.

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: In memory of Tony Hedlund

Post by Fernando »

Lars Sandin wrote:It is with deepest regrets that I must inform you that our long-time forum/SSDF-member Tony Hedlund, sadly passed away back in early November last year.

Tony was an integral part of the SSDF for over 30 years and certainly a key part of its strength in the last ten years. He was responsible for our valued SSDF database of test games since 1997, wrote many articles and commented games in our former magazine PLY. His sustained contribution over the years was driven by his strong interest in computers, chess and computer-chess. The SSDF also benefitted from his knowledge, vision, rigour and aspiration to the highest standards of testing. His vigorous efforts often worked as a great motivator and drove fellow contributors forward. All this ensured that the International Computer Chess Association continued to regard the SSDF’s testing regime as the gold standard and publish the SSDF ‘Top 50’ list.

The SSDF rating list which we publish today is therefore dedicated in honour of Tony Hedlund.

Chess was clearly a big part of Tony’s life. He test-played with his chess computers both manually and later automatically. He was an enthusiastic, strong correspondence chess player, and reached the rank of International Correspondence Chess Grand Master in 2005. He wrote many articles about opening- studies, biographies and commented games in Korrschack (formerly SSKK-bulletinen), the official magazine for correspondence chess here in Sweden. Away from the desk, he also liked long-distance running and ran several marathons.

It is difficult to find words to describe how much he has meant to us. His dedication was a source of inspiration for me personally and for all of us in the SSDF.

He was the one friend I communicated with by mail the most, and as such – the silence which ensued after his death was deafening. This certainly made me understand how much you could miss a person with which you had only communicated electronically and never met face to face.

Tony, you made our world a better place and we thank you for everything.

A pity. Looks like this a community of mainly old people, 60 years or more of age, so we are going one after the other with increasing speed.
Tony, I see you soon.

RIP regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Very sad news. Tony was one of the pioneers of Computer Chess testing.
Regards,
Harvey
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

What can anyone say to help except sorry to hear the bad news.

Here is a little poem I found:

Nothing Gold Can Stay
By Robert Frost

Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
Lars Sandin
SSDF

Post by Lars Sandin »

Thank you everyone for the nice words and also for the beautiful poem!

I will be continuing the SSDF-testing in honor of Tony and will be publishing our manual meetings here on the tournament forum as I have done earlier. My updates have been extremely rare lately, but I will try to up the ante so that one can follow the progress between the rating lists - at least for the manual meetings.
Lars Sandin, SSDF