Engine configuration and thread setting not saving? [HCE Pro]

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

ChessAdmin

Engine configuration and thread setting not saving? [HCE Pro]

Post by ChessAdmin »

I'm finding that changes made to the engine configuration settings and the number of threads (default:1) in the Analysis Explorer window aren't being saved automatically between sessions when they are changed, and there is no menu option I can find for manually saving/editing them permanently. Having to change the thread number and engine settings every time the program starts is going to be a big pain over the lifetime of the product.

Or am I missing something? I searched on the forum and didn't find a reference to this. At least the Edit - Preferences - Engines menu settings do save, although that only includes a couple things like the hash size.

Otherwise, liking the product very much so far.
Tibono2

Re: Engine configuration and thread setting not saving? [HCE Pro]

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
to my understanding & practice, the engine settings are consistently saved using the setting menu; whilst they may be changed on the fly in view analysis explorer mode or at launch of a game against an engine (and these changes won't be saved). I think it makes sense.
Use the setting menu for any change you would like to be the default setting for an engine. You may duplicate engine records in this setting menu, in order to create as many "sets" of settings you often like to use; e.g. I have registered Stockfish "classic" (disabled NNUE) & SF NNUE, Komodo & K. MCTS...
Best,
Tibono
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Tibono2 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:08 am Hi,
to my understanding & practice, the engine settings are consistently saved using the setting menu; whilst they may be changed on the fly in view analysis explorer mode or at launch of a game against an engine (and these changes won't be saved). I think it makes sense.
Use the setting menu for any change you would like to be the default setting for an engine. You may duplicate engine records in this setting menu, in order to create as many "sets" of settings you often like to use; e.g. I have registered Stockfish "classic" (disabled NNUE) & SF NNUE, Komodo & K. MCTS...
How it works: as ChessAdmin mentioned, settings in Preferences are permanent (double click the engine to configure it).
Settings in Analysis are temporary: you can change some settings just for current analysis.

I think this is reasonable but we will try to make it easier to discover.
ChessAdmin

Post by ChessAdmin »

Thanks for sharing the above. I hadn't been aware you could double-click the engine name in the Preferences view to access and permanently change its settings.