Ivan the Terrible, Ivan the Conqueror?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Ivan the Terrible, Ivan the Conqueror?

Post by Fernando »

To add to confusion there we have it, an Ivan that is not terrible but a conqueror.
OR there are even more variants of the same thing OR I am mystified and never nobody talked of a Terrible Ivan, but of a conqueror

Conquering my Terrible doubts regards
fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Fern,

Yes there is a Ivan the Conquerer too,
see https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... _Conqueror
But this is a weak player, probably in the range of the Excalibur Saber IV or the Chess Station.

Should be an easy 2 games win for you ;-)

Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi Fern,

But this is a weak player, probably in the range of the Excalibur Saber IV or the Chess Station.

Paul
You mean a 1700 or so machine?
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Paul
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Fernando wrote:

Paul
I guess a little less then 1400 European elo, so not more then 1600 USCF elo.

Electric Light Orchestra send their regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

From Spacious Mind website:

By the time Excalibur Ivan II the Conqueror was conceived, the H8 ROMs were being phased out of production, therefore Excalibur Ivan II the Conqueror was developed around the SPLB32A processor from the manufacturer Sunplus. This created its own unique set of problems as Ron Nelson's H8 program had to be translated to work with this new processor which has a 6502 core. This processor had less available RAM therefore in order to make the program fit to these new lower specifications, adjustments were made to the program which included the removal of Nelson's Attack Bit Map Tables and the commenting out of the Ponder routine, which were both important strength of play features that existed in Nelson's H8 program. All these adjustments resulted in a new lesser strength chess program for use with the SPLB32A with its own unique play behavior.

So:
1. Slower processor (5 MHz vs 12 MHz)...and Sunplus 6502 not as “efficient” as H8
2. No Ponder!!!
3. Removal of Attack BM tables

Aktivschach says:

“Excalibur Igor ist laut Hersteller 200 ELO Punkte stärker.”....
That is, Igor is 200 Elo stronger than Conqueror

Ah.......yeah, for business reasons:

“Ivan the Conqueror” was 200 points weaker than predecessor “Ivan the Terrible”.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Four.nine wrote:From Spacious Mind website:

By the time Excalibur Ivan II the Conqueror was conceived, the H8 ROMs were being phased out of production, therefore Excalibur Ivan II the Conqueror was developed around the SPLB32A processor from the manufacturer Sunplus. This created its own unique set of problems as Ron Nelson's H8 program had to be translated to work with this new processor which has a 6502 core. This processor had less available RAM therefore in order to make the program fit to these new lower specifications, adjustments were made to the program which included the removal of Nelson's Attack Bit Map Tables and the commenting out of the Ponder routine, which were both important strength of play features that existed in Nelson's H8 program. All these adjustments resulted in a new lesser strength chess program for use with the SPLB32A with its own unique play behavior.

So:
1. Slower processor (5 MHz vs 12 MHz)...and Sunplus 6502 not as “efficient” as H8
2. No Ponder!!!
3. Removal of Attack BM tables

Aktivschach says:

“Excalibur Igor ist laut Hersteller 200 ELO Punkte stärker.”....
That is, Igor is 200 Elo stronger than Conqueror

Ah.......yeah, for business reasons:

“Ivan the Conqueror” was 200 points weaker than predecessor “Ivan the Terrible”.

Classic shameful performance by Samole. Pity Nelson followed suite. You expect that new computers will be better, not worst, specially if to confound people they are names almost equally.

We must thanks God that Nelson did not have the time to offer an Ivan playing like CC1 regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Fernando wrote: Classic shameful performance by Samole. Pity Nelson followed suite. You expect that new computers will be better, not worst, specially if to confound people they are names almost equally.

We must thanks God that Nelson did not have the time to offer an Ivan playing like CC1 regards
Fern
It was business.........just a “toy” business.
I feel silly now, stating on another thread:

“Igor=Ivan12=GM”

So, I admit that I bought all three .....and they were all......the SAME EXACT thing...just different plastic.

Even bought a “Mirage”....but a better name than Mirage, would have been “Pipe Dream” because you need to smoke an ounce of opium first, in order to see the pieces actually move.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Four.nine wrote:
Fernando wrote: Classic shameful performance by Samole. Pity Nelson followed suite. You expect that new computers will be better, not worst, specially if to confound people they are names almost equally.

Fern
It was business.........just a “toy” business.
I feel silly now, stating on another thread:

“Igor=Ivan12=GM”

So, I admit that I bought all three .....and they were all......the SAME EXACT thing...just different plastic.

Even bought a “Mirage”....but a better name than Mirage, would have been “Pipe Dream” because you need to smoke an ounce of opium first, in order to see the pieces actually move.
Hhahaha opium....yes...
We are the eternal "dupes" of these merchant men....
But the worst par is...

I have been defeated by the toy regards
fern
Festina Lente