Display for Excalibur Ivan The Terrible ...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Frank Quisinsky

Display for Excalibur Ivan The Terrible ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

I saw that different users, like the good and old chess computers, are members here. I have a small problem?! Since some days I have an Excalibur Ivan The Terrible chess computer. Unfortunatley, the display is defect. Easy to switched, but I found nothing to order a new one.

Maybe an other user of the old chess computer can give me helps.
Have thanks!

Best
Frank

PS: I have interest to play a tourney with older chess computers. I need for the idea a computer with a strong program by Ron Nelson. The field is 24-26 of older chess computers. In the last year I spent many time for this idea but I am sure that the interest will be today very small. Not important because I will have many fun with it.
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

You can easily use the display from other excaliburs like Igor. Just search for not working excaliburs. They're cheap. I am sure a new display is more expensive, than a faulty excalibur.
Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

but cost for shipping and Tax for such a computer from U.S. to Germany is expensive. Around 40-80 EUR, more easy for me is to know how can I order such a display.

Best
Frank
paulwise3

Re: Display for Excalibur Ivan The Terrible ...

Post by paulwise3 »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: PS: I have interest to play a tourney with older chess computers. I need for the idea a computer with a strong program by Ron Nelson. The field is 24-26 of older chess computers. In the last year I spent many time for this idea but I am sure that the interest will be today very small. Not important because I will have many fun with it.
Hi Frank,

About strong Ron Nelson programs: Apparently it is very easy to tune an Excalibur Grandmaster from 12 to 24 MHz (just a faster crystal), and someone in Germany even managed to tune it to 32 MHz. I am very exited to see how strong it will play, the 24 MHz got a raise of more then 100 elo at active level (30 secs/move).
And now I wonder if Igor and Ivan can be tuned in the same way...

Nelson Grandmaster fan regards,
(my tuning apologies to Steve, but my advertising for Ron's program hopefully compensates for this ... ;-))
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Display for Excalibur Ivan The Terrible ...

Post by Steve B »

paulwise3 wrote: (my tuning apologies to Steve, but my advertising for Ron's program hopefully compensates for this ... ;-))
Thats OK Paul

no idea what Nelson would think about overclocking his program but my guess is he would...

Tune It Out Regards
Steve