World Chess Software Championship 2018

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

World Chess Software Championship 2018

Post by Harvey Williamson »

The event will take place this weekend in Stockholm. At the moment there are 9 entries including Hiarcs. I am not sure what I will do if England get to the World Cup final as the last round is scheduled at the same time. Hopefully I will be able to publish a link so that you can watch the games live in HCE. The WCSC is the uniform hardware event. Entries so far:

1. Chiron
2. Shredder
3. Komodo
4. Pauline
5. Booot
6. The Baron
7. Ginkgo
8. Jonny
9. Hiarcs
herO

Re: World Chess Software Championship 2018

Post by herO »

Harvey Williamson wrote:The event will take place this weekend in Stockholm. At the moment there are 9 entries including Hiarcs. I am not sure what I will do if England get to the World Cup final as the last round is scheduled at the same time. Hopefully I will be able to publish a link so that you can watch the games live in HCE. The WCSC is the uniform hardware event. Entries so far:

1. Chiron
2. Shredder
3. Komodo
4. Pauline
5. Booot
6. The Baron
7. Ginkgo
8. Jonny
9. Hiarcs
This tournament will be much more challenging for Hiarcs. Do you have newer version of Hiarcs engine for this tournament? What are your expectations for this event?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

There are new versions all the time. Deciding which one to use is the problem. It is a tough field so the winner will need some luck and good opening prep.
herO

Post by herO »

Harvey Williamson wrote:There are new versions all the time. Deciding which one to use is the problem. It is a tough field so the winner will need some luck and good opening prep.
Are you allowed to use only 1 version in tournament or are you able to change version to better one during tournament? Who decides which version will be used? Do you test it by yourself or are those versions tested only by Mark?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

herO wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:There are new versions all the time. Deciding which one to use is the problem. It is a tough field so the winner will need some luck and good opening prep.
Are you allowed to use only 1 version in tournament or are you able to change version to better one during tournament? Who decides which version will be used? Do you test it by yourself or are those versions tested only by Mark?
You can change versions between games. Mark and I will discuss the versions we have, the final decision is his of course. We have a small team (4 people) who test the versions that Mark thinks are promising.
dntfeedthemnkys

Re: World Chess Software Championship 2018

Post by dntfeedthemnkys »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I am not sure what I will do if England get to the World Cup final as the last round is scheduled at the same time.
Genuine lol.

Very hopeful that I can watch this in real-time.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Harvey

I can't find any info on Pauline anywhere.
Surely my sister-in-law hasn't secretly written a chess program 😀

Bryan
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Harvey

Bryan
It could be the 1st time we ever lose to a woman at the WC ;-) I also know nothing about it.
herO

Post by herO »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
herO wrote:
You can change versions between games. Mark and I will discuss the versions we have, the final decision is his of course. We have a small team (4 people) who test the versions that Mark thinks are promising.
Are new Hiarcs engine versions stronger that the previous one from Tournament Leiden 2018?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

herO wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
herO wrote:
Are new Hiarcs engine versions stronger that the previous one from Tournament Leiden 2018?
A little bit...
herO

Post by herO »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
herO wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: You can change versions between games. Mark and I will discuss the versions we have, the final decision is his of course. We have a small team (4 people) who test the versions that Mark thinks are promising.
A little bit...
What opening book will be used? Do you use official tournament opening book at tournaments or do you have some "special" opening book which is tuned to play at official tournaments?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

herO wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
herO wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: You can change versions between games. Mark and I will discuss the versions we have, the final decision is his of course. We have a small team (4 people) who test the versions that Mark thinks are promising.
A little bit...
What opening book will be used? Do you use official tournament opening book at tournaments or do you have some "special" opening book which is tuned to play at official tournaments?
We use 2 books. The main tournament book but also a small book on top to control the 1st few moves.
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Harvey

Bryan
As I recall, Pauline was John Boone’s AI in Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

GK2000

Post by GK2000 »

When will the games start, day and time?

Thanks in advance.
Infinitychess, The Home of Freestyle Chess