MCGE gets Blu-tooth

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Yarc

MCGE gets Blu-tooth

Post by Yarc »

I have just seen the info on Millennium's website about the new Bluetooth add on for the MCGE:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 9oFZhRprCg

So it will allow using Winboard and UCI engines from an android or other computer and interface to the board.

The other info on there website is about the new 'King' module which they are suggesting could have a rating of 2500ELO!!

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... Cm6W2cjKtg

The new King module sounds exciting to me, not for the Grandmaster strength so much but for it's style of play and engine configuration.

Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: MCGE gets Blu-tooth

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote: So it will allow using Winboard and UCI engines from an android or other computer and interface to the board.
Hi Ray
not interested in this of course
do you think this was the "EXCITING " add-on Millennium was hinting about in this thread?
if so..it is as i feared...
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=84768#84768

Hopefully Not Regards
Steeve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:
Yarc wrote: So it will allow using Winboard and UCI engines from an android or other computer and interface to the board.
Hi Ray
not interested in this of course
do you think this was the "EXCITING NEW" add-on you mentioned in the other thread??

Hopefully Not Regards
Steeve
Hi Steve,

Apart from the new King module which we all new is coming, I don't see anything else on Millennium's website. Therefore, I suspect this is the new exciting item. When I saw it I thought straight away that you would not be interested :)

I can see that it would be good for some people.

I am excited about the new King module Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote:
Apart from the new King module which we all new is coming, I don't see anything else on Millennium's website. Therefore, I suspect this is the new exciting item.

I am excited about the new King module
Oh Well i guess this new exciting add-on ..can be ..added-off
anyway..i am also excited to have another King Engine in a dedicated computer
the Program is woefully under represented in the world of dedicated chess computers due to it first appearing in the 1990's at about the same time that the PC engine juggernaut would decimate the dedicated chess computer market

Too Late To The Party Regards
Steve
pennine22

Post by pennine22 »

Thanks for the links.

Interesting to see from the module link that the King seems to be in a very different styled package and to me a smarter flat module with what looks like a wood effect trim. Much better than the rather clunky look of the current module.

Will the Genius also be offered in this style of package as well?

David
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

pennine22 wrote:Thanks for the links.

Interesting to see from the module link that the King seems to be in a very different styled package and to me a smarter flat module with what looks like a wood effect trim. Much better than the rather clunky look of the current module.

Will the Genius also be offered in this style of package as well?

David
According to the description I think it's made of wood rather than wood effect, but cannot confirm this. I agree, it does look better than the current module and think that its design is slightly reminiscent of the TASC R30 module.

I don't know if Millennium will offer the current module in this style. I also wondered if they would offer a module with both engines, selectable in the menu. This would be nice for new buyers, but for exisiting owners an expensive option.

Ray
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote: anyway..i am also excited to have another King Engine in a dedicated computer
the Program is woefully under represented in the world of dedicated chess computers due to it first appearing in the 1990's at about the same time that the PC engine juggernaut would decimate the dedicated chess computer market

Too Late To The Party Regards
Steve
Better late than never, and I really hope enough people are interested and buy it. This will add fuel to the dedicated market which has surprisingly awoken.

I'm not so excited about connecting dedicated machines to the internet, or connecting mobile phones wirelessly to the board, but if modernising the machines in this way gains more interest, then maybe even more dedicated machines will hit the market.

Time will tell Regards
Ray
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Thanks Ray

Nice bit of kit 👍

Regards
Bryan
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Well I got to say King looks brilliant! Probably will have to buy another Exclusive to play it. Hate having one board two programs :P

I am really looking forward to it.

Blue Tooth? Might buy it but probably it will end up in a box never to be played. For me it misses the mark. As you might have heard me before I dislike the artificiality of engines playing down to my level through the software. It does not work for me.

If Millennium were to be able to run them through their little console that they use on Genius and King and let me select 300, 200, 100 MHz as play speed and let me as a result enjoy the full strength engine, then I would get excited and buy a 3rd and even a 4th board to satisfy my gamer enjoyments as well as player enjoyments.

MILLENNIUM YOU HAVE TO START TO LISTEN!! You are missing sales opportunities .... at least my orders for extra boards !! :wink:

Sack your testers immediately if they are not able to tell you this clearly through their dedicated computers experience. Retire them on a small pension if you must!! :)

Best regards
Nick
mclane

Post by mclane »

The idea is to connect the Millennium chess board with any android tablet, mobile phone or iOS pad or phone.

A) you would get plenty of new engines
B) can play on the wooden piece recognition board instead using fingers or mouse.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

mclane wrote:The idea is to connect the Millennium chess board with any android tablet, mobile phone or iOS pad or phone.

A) you would get plenty of new engines
B) can play on the wooden piece recognition board instead using fingers or mouse.
And who is going to play them more than once? You won't you will back playing dedicated chess computers,
Nick
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

If you could save the moves along with the 'Chess Genius's or the 'King's analysis that would good. It's one thing to have the game saved, but months down the line if I look at the recorded games I cannot remember what evaluations the program's had in any of the positions.

I suppose if you played HIARCS or Shredder that have levels to match the opponent it is better playing on a nice wooden board. There is some merit in that. It's making the purchase of a dedicated machine more versatile, it can be a dedicated or an extension of the mobile or PC. Two items in one purchase(plus the cost of the Blu-tooth module, whatever that might be!) that gives value for money. But somehow, this seems to detract from the point of having a dedicated machine. I might as well just play Stockfish making the moves on a normal board, and get totally crushed in the process!

On the other hand, it might be good watching a live game from the net with the moves being announced on the piece recognition board.

Food for thought Regards
Ray
lexman

Post by lexman »

I emailed Millennium to ask if they will be bundling the new King module with a board or whether it was only available as an add on for the MCGE this was their reply allowing for google translate

"The King module will initially be offered individually. (RRP EUR 199, -) A bundle with the board is currently not planned"
steffen

Post by steffen »

Enclosed the data sheet of the coming ChessGenius Exclusive – Version 2018

"ChessGenius Exclusive is a very thin, hand-crafted wooden sensor board (dim. approx. 40 x 40 x 2 cm) featuring a move indicator displayed as 81 single-square LEDs, as well as an especially convenient fully automatic piece recognition accomplished using novel technical solutions. The fully automatic board boasts an outstanding ease of use, as well as especially quick recognition speeds and good reliability. The board's 4 brightly lit LEDs per square alleviate the need to glance at the computer display during the game. An ARM Cortex M7 processor with a clock speed of 300 Mhz powers the hardware.
The cable connection between the casing and the sensor board facilitates exchanging the hardware in a modular fashion. Furthermore, software updates can be performed via the integrated USB port. The new program version of Richard Lang's ChessGenius C22 features an array of interesting improvements, and can be expected to achieve an improved tournament playing ability of approx. 2400 ELO.

TECHNICAL DATA:

Chessboard dimensions approx. 40 x 40 x 2 cm
Hardware specifications ARM Cortex M7 / 300 MHz / 2048 kB ROM / 384 kB RAM
Entering chess moves Hand-crafted wooden sensor board with fully automatic piece recognition
Display of chess moves 81 single-square LEDs (4 per square)
LCD display Separate chess clock module with very large display (73 x 39 mm), adjustable lighting and flexible display options (chess clock, multi-line information display, chess board display, ...)
Future expansion options Software updates via USB port -- fully exchangeable hardware module
USB port options Storing games and optional download of opening move libraries, firmware updates, or chess engines
Power supply Power adaptors included for international outlets

SOFTWARE DATA:

Author Richard Lang
Program Developed on the basis of famous world championship-winning programs
Playing ability (tournament skill level) Approx. 2400 ELO (at tournament level)
Playing ability suitable for Advanced players, very skilled club and tournament player -- extending all the way to international tournament levels
Difficulty levels Infinite adjustable number of difficulty levels; fun levels (purposely makes mistakes), easy levels (limits the number of calculated moves), speed and fast chess, tournament chess with/without Fischer’s clock, etc.
CPU speed Variable setting between 50 - 300 MHz
Opening moves library Choice between the Classic London Book (57,000 positions) and M. Uniacke's new Master Book (over 300,000 positions)
Menu navigation Cursor-operated menu; info display scrollable in 5 lines; 7 language settings available
Two-player mode For entering games and analyses
Retract moves Retract and repeat an unlimited number of moves
Comprehensive feature-set • Display of suggested moves
• Display of position rating and main line
• Display of permanent brain calculations
• Display of number of chess moves
• Display of the calculation depth and number of moves calculated
• Easy entry of chess positions using the fully-automatic piece recognition
• Different game modes
• Position control via board display
• Analysis mode with countless options
• Auto play mode
• Alternative moves
• Various settings (display contrast, turn board, calculation speed, chess clock left or right, etc.)
Chess coach Comprehensive warning and assistance functionalities included"

source: Millennium 2000 GmbH, Subject to change and correction
Last edited by steffen on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steffen

Post by steffen »

And here the data sheet of the coming Millennium The King

"The long-awaited program MILLENNIUM The King created by Dutch programmer Johan de Koning will come to market as an extension for the ChessGenius Exclusive in mid 2018. At the request of many chess friends ... the new MILLENNIUM module was drafted in an elegant wooden, "retro design" housing.
Where does the difference between the two MILLENNIUM chess programs lie?
The program ChessGenius convinces with its excellent strategic move-based game. It pounces mercilessly on its opponent's weaknesses and is known for its especially strong endgame.
On the other hand, The King generally seeks to win space actively and dynamically, pushing the opponent back and excelling through its tactical offensive game -- making it difficult to beat even for very strong human opponents. This should make The King the first choice for ambitious chess enthusiasts who are looking for an extremely able training partner."

source: Millennium 2000 GmbH, Subject to change and correction
Last edited by steffen on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.