Nuremburg Toy Fair 2018

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

If I read it correctly the plan is to use Stockfish on it. Not sure if I am going to be that keen playing SF on it. What would be the point especially if it ends up running at say a couple of GHz speed.

It is a shame that companies still don't get it. To slow the software down through some sort of internal software slow down setting plays very artificially and detracts from the satisfaction of playing against it. It's like me deliberately messing around when I play with a child. Kind of fake.

Millennium got it right if it is truly so in their MCGE where you can slow down the hardware down in 50 MHz increments. Playing software this way means the software still plays at its full capability and doesn't artificially humor you.

Man, I wish these companies would start to get it!

Regards
Nick
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Steve B wrote:Interesting Video
the game that the computer is playing has nothing to do with the pieces on the board which are still on their original squares

would be nice if this computer can use other DGT pieces
i have 6 different DGT piece sets ...all of which look much better then the pieces shown with the Prototype

Piece By Piece Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
I followed a few links to a fairly detailed description of DGT's new unit. They mentioned that it does not have piece recognition, however, it has sensors (magnets?) under the squares and you can use any chess men that you like that have weights in their bases. So it seems you may be able to use your exceptional supply of DGT pieces.

Innovation is good....regards,
Dave
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

I know I should be excited about another dedicated machine coming, but from what I have read on this forum, this new DGT unit does not hit the mark for me; Well, not yet anyway! It's really too early for me to judge, but if as it's been said/rumoured on this forum, this new unit will have Stockfish and possibly some vey fast processor, then I am unlikely to get overly excited. I can run SF 9 on my mobile or PC and make the moves on a real board if I want all that super grandmaster strength. Ok, it's not quite the same as entering moves on a dedicated board, but do I need all that strength? No, because my MCGE will crush me, and if I need analysis from a super strong engine I can send the game from the MCGE to my PC and let SF9 analyse it.

On the other hand, if they implement a well scaled means of setting levels of play, then I can see this new machine as having more worth. It could be used for normal play at sensible levels for mortals like me, the higher levels being an option for the more elite players and or for good analysis without needing to resort to a PC or mobile.

Maybe a wood option would be welcome by many?

Too early to judge Regards
Ray
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

pennine22 wrote:Any news from the toy fair by Millennium on what their new product was or further details on the King module? Their website doesn't at present.

Thanks.

David
Not been able to find anything out about the new product. It is meant to be a very exciting product for the MCGE, but seems strange that now the Toy Show has finished we have only heard about the DGT machine. I know that up until recently they had not finalised what hardware specs the new 'King' module would have, so all we can do is wait.

Regards
Ray
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Ray

I was in contact with Millennium this morning and was advised that The King will be available in July priced at €199.

Regards
Bryan
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Hi Ray

I was in contact with Millennium this morning and was advised that The King will be available in July priced at €199.

Regards
Bryan
That is good news :)
Nick
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Regards
Bryan
Thanks Bryan. I knew the price but didn't know the release date. However, I was told that there is a new product planned for the Chess Genius Exclusive but have not been able to find out what this could be.

Regards
Ray
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

Regards
Bryan
199,-€ ?

Here you can buy the King Engine for just 1,19€!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Chessmaster-5000 ... Sws5BaT42l

:-)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dave C wrote:
I followed a few links to a fairly detailed description of DGT's new unit. They mentioned that it does not have piece recognition, however, it has sensors (magnets?) under the squares and you can use any chess men that you like that have weights in their bases. So it seems you may be able to use your exceptional supply of DGT pieces.

Innovation is good....regards,
Dave
Hi Dave
well actually this means I will NOT be able to use my other DGT piece sets
they all have piece recognition and I use them with the Rev II

Sigh Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Schachspieler wrote:

Regards
Bryan
199,-€ ?

Here you can buy the King Engine for just 1,19€!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Chessmaster-5000 ... Sws5BaT42l

:-)
:lol:

Thanks Bryan but I do have a few versions of ChessMaster hanging about, some of which work after a fashion on my Windows PC.
pennine22

Post by pennine22 »

Hi

Thanks for the updates. Will it be possible to buy the MCGE with either engine option at purchase. I've been sitting on the fence on an MCGE purchase and would go for the King option if offered.

Just been dusting down my Palm Tungsten TX (312 MHz Intel XScale ARM chip, 128 MB RAM) and running Chessmaster v1.5.6 for Palm in a 960 kB sized program.

I'd forgotten how feature rich it was and offering many of the features of the PC version. Not sure how strong it was on this platform

Also run Chessmaster 11 on Windows 10 64 bit laptop and touchwood so far it has been bombproof.

David
Dave C

Update

Post by Dave C »

Hi Ray,

I recently read that DGT may be developing an adaptive chess program that will automatically adjust its playing level, game by game, to provide a more balanced game and it may lose more games than it wins. In another mode it would be a challenge to club players. In the third mode the program would play at full strength. It is possible that the third mode would be powered by a version of SF, while modes one and two may be powered by a different program.

A larger display and wood option would be nice.
Dave
Yarc

Re: Update

Post by Yarc »

Dave C wrote:Hi Ray,

I recently read that DGT may be developing an adaptive chess program that will automatically adjust its playing level, game by game, to provide a more balanced game and it may lose more games than it wins. In another mode it would be a challenge to club players. In the third mode the program would play at full strength. It is possible that the third mode would be powered by a version of SF, while modes one and two may be powered by a different program.

A larger display and wood option would be nice.
Dave
Hi Dave,

If they do implement the two program adaptive play system then it could be a good all-round computer; I can definitely see the potential.

As it's only in prototype form at the moment then many things could change, but yes, a larger display would be a good first improvement with a wood option.

Ray
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

DGT have today told me that the new chess computer is still being beta tested and hopefully it will be available sometime in October.

A very nice Christmas present from my wife is coming 😃