Nuremburg Toy Fair 2018

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Is this a stand alone dedicated chess computer from DGT?
Does it need to be connected to a PC?
looks like a first for them if it is

if it is, I wonder if they took some or all of this technology from Ruud and his Revelation II which he released in conjunction with DGT

Hmmm Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Steve

I am hoping that it is Daniel Rabbers chess computer who came to us a while ago asking advise on designing a new chess computer for DGT. I have recently emailed him but no reply yet.

I really like the novelty move indicator on each square slightly similar to the Lexibook chess computers only better. I also hope that it contains a chess engine that hasn't been used before.

Thanks to Berger for sending me copies of Hans photos.

Bryan

IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Big thanks for photos! This time Im happy to get mistaken :D
Is the board pressure or magnetic? Will there be mini-usb connection to PC?
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

would be nice if you are able to use present day DGT chess pieces

Maybe the window a bit bigger but I like it a lot .....regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:
I am hoping that it is Daniel Rabbers chess computer who came to us a while ago asking advise on designing a new chess computer for DGT. I have recently emailed him but no reply yet.
Would be Interesting to find out if it is Rabbers behind DGT's first ever dedicated chess computer...
I am a bit concerned though..
I notice a cable attached to the right side of board and heading suspiciously out of the photo
hopefully this is a power supply cable and not a cable attached to a PC

Fingers Crossed Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

To me looking at the DGT site, the pieces used in the prototype photos are the same as the ones already available to buy on the DGT web site at €109. If this is the case then the total cost of the new computer won't be cheap.

https://www.dgtshop.nl/index.php?route= ... uct_id=195

Plastic regards
Bryan
pennine22

Post by pennine22 »

Any news from the toy fair by Millennium on what their new product was or further details on the King module? Their website doesn't at present.

Thanks.

David
pennine22

Post by pennine22 »

Any news from the toy fair by Millennium on what their new product was or further details on the King module? Their website doesn't at present.

Thanks.

David
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Any news if this is a REAL dedicated chess computer or does that cable attach to a PC..with the PC containing the engine and/or operating controls?

Still Skeptical Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Steve B wrote:Any news if this is a REAL dedicated chess computer or does that cable attach to a PC..with the PC containing the engine and/or operating controls?

Still Skeptical Regards
Steve
Maybe the LCD display was just an Android phone connected to a sensory board like I make. Why, because it is showing a battery icon like a mobile phone has.

I have emailed Daniel twice about it but got no reply (he usually does). So I suppose that we will just have to wait and see.

Isn't it, is it regards
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:Any news if this is a REAL dedicated chess computer or does that cable attach to a PC..with the PC containing the engine and/or operating controls?

Still Skeptical Regards
Steve
Maybe the LCD display was just an Android phone connected to a sensory board like I make. Why, because it is showing a battery icon like a mobile phone has.

I have emailed Daniel twice about it but got no reply (he usually does). So I suppose that we will just have to wait and see.

Isn't it, is it regards
Bryan
Thanks Bryan
I have a sneaky suspicion that this needs to be connected to the PC and ..sadly...,like that Robot from those folks in India..just another...
False Alarm Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Well I was in contact with Daniel last night and it is his project chess computer and he also only got to see the prototype last week which he is very pleased with.

The good news is that it will be a dedicated chess computer that can also be connected to a PC like the Novag Citrine.

Unfortunately the actual chess engine is still a secret. Personally I am keeping my fingers crossed that DGT will use Folkert van Heusden, Embla engine then it will then be an all singing Dutch chess computer.

Tulips from Amsterdam regards
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Well I was in contact with Daniel last night and it is his project chess computer
The good news is that it will be a dedicated chess computer that can also be connected to a PC like the Novag Citrine.
Yes..Very Goods News and Even Better Investigative Reporting
Well Done Regards
Steve
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

Steve B wrote:
Well I was in contact with Daniel last night and it is his project chess computer
Yes..Very Goods News and Even Better Investigative Reporting
Well Done Regards
Steve
And more good news, pictures and a short video:

http://forum.topschach.de/post1965.html#p1965

The video is here:

https://youtu.be/TcuDxwuH4ig
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Interesting Video
the game that the computer is playing has nothing to do with the pieces on the board which are still on their original squares

would be nice if this computer can use other DGT pieces
i have 6 different DGT piece sets ...all of which look much better then the pieces shown with the Prototype

Piece By Piece Regards
Steve