New Magnetic pieces

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Peeter

New Magnetic pieces

Post by Peeter »

Hi all
My new (old) boards Saitek Mephisto Master, Milano, and Challenger and Fidelity Excellence came with pieces that are hardly magnetic anymore. Can i replace these magnets or remagnetise with a stronger magnet. Or exchange for Novag pieces(which may be in the same demagnetised condition)? Whats the best idea. Thanks.
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

You can change the magnets, but I think a better option is buying wooden pieces from chessbazaar or other store. It's much better than the original pieces, the magnets are strong enough to play it in a vertical position, like you do when playing lying in a bed, and it is wood, much better than plastic. Just my opinion.

Cheers
Larry

Re: New Magnetic pieces

Post by Larry »

Peeter wrote:Hi all
My new (old) boards Saitek Mephisto Master, Milano, and Challenger and Fidelity Excellence came with pieces that are hardly magnetic anymore. Can i replace these magnets or remagnetise with a stronger magnet. Or exchange for Novag pieces(which may be in the same demagnetised condition)? Whats the best idea. Thanks.
The boards you mention are not auto sensory, so I'm wondering why
the pieces need to be magnetised. Just weighted will do the trick. I seem
to remember that you can go to a hobby craft shop and they will have
sheets of refrigerator magnet material, and you can just cut out shapes
at your leisure to fit the bases of your chess pieces.
L
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks guys. I live in the uk but i will look around to see whats available.
Larry its because i dont want the pieces to be knocked over as im not playing across a table but on my lap sometimes. Cheers for the magnetic sheet idea.
Cyberchess

Old Magnetic Pieces

Post by Cyberchess »

These vintage Pacific Game Co. Cavalier Magnetic Chess Sets used to come standard with the Applied Concepts Boris Chess Computer. While the old Boris amounted to little more than a fancy random move generator in my opinion, these quality simulated wood magnetic chess sets were faithful scaled down reproductions of the official USCF tournament sets of the day, featured strong magnets, and were my preferred set for doing battle with all of my Novag units over the years.

Magnetic Regards,
John
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks John. They look superb pieces!
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Hi,

I Just replaced the magnets of a Team Mate pieces. I removed the old magnets with a small scissor and used neodymium magnets. I glued a felt in the base and it is perfect. I can put the game upside down and the pieces stay firmly in the position. The strong neodymium do not affect the electronics of the game and with little pressure I can register the move.

I bought the magnets on ebay.

Cheers