Millennium (Chess Genius Pro)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Millennium (Chess Genius Pro)

Post by Reinfeld »

My new purchase has arrived. I'm playing this Robbie Williams song on an endless loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-bIqEsRATQ

I haven't fired it up yet. Have to wait for off hours to do it. This machine reflects a grudging trade I made with myself a few months back. I had a Berlin Pro, which I sought for years. Circumstances forced me to sell it. That was painful, but I knew a few things when I struck the bargain with myself:

1. The MCGP approximates (though it does not duplicate) the Berlin Pro.

2. I knew I could upgrade the BP to the London version with the ROM chip from Richard Lang, but I don't like to mess around with the guts of my chess computers. MCGP incorporates the London book, so it seems like a fair trade.

3. BP only runs with an adapter. I hate adapters, and I avoid them if possible. I have a cat that enjoys cords and chess pieces. MCGP runs with batteries. I like batteries. I can pick up the unit and slide it into a bookshelf. Simple.

4. MCGP is affordable. The trade worked for me in that sense.

5. I am not a wood addict. I lack the means (and the storage capacity) to play in that realm. When I retire, maybe I'll buy myself a lovely Revelation machine, but until then, I'm all about plastic and portability. I know all the collectors are fiddling around and fussing over their MCGEs at the moment. I know eventually they'll incorporate a de Koning engine (great). I know that represents greater versatility and pleasure, but I'm not able to swim in that water, as I said. I have my RISC 2500 (2 mb), and that's enough for the moment.

6. I'm surprised by the size of this thing. So much power in such a small package. I tend to favor bigger boards, but I do like the pugnacious feel of the knights.

7. Footnote: why on earth is de Koning so reluctant to let his engines have wider distribution? I don't get it. I love his programs.

8. I just read this entire thread, and I love Steve's games at odds. What a great testing method:

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... um&start=0

I also note Lexman's great suggestion in page 18 of the thread:
It could be interesting perhaps to pick 5 opening positions that are equal but are in neither computers books and get them to play both the black and white sides of the same position. If chosen well that would give a real insight into the programs themselves.
I've wondered the same thing in the past - for all the dedicated comps, not just this one. Such a testing suite would differ from the old BT tests in certain respects. It might involve a set of positions from open and closed games where the various manuals and databases end with an assessment of equal chances for White and Black. The suite would have to include open, semi-open and closed positions. Not too hard to devise.

9. Since I haven't played this thing yet, and I'm savoring the options, what would you all suggest for things to do?

Some say that we are players, some say that we are pawns regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Footnote: The two odds games Steve played (MCGP v EAG 2100) are on page 15 of that giant thread. MCGP wins the first at odds of pawn and move, and loses the second at odds of a knight. Fun!

Man, I think these types of matches pitting stronger v weaker machines deserve much more attention. Could GK 2100 give Queen odds to (for instance) Fidelity Mini Chess Challenger? Could RISC 2500 give pawn and move to Super Connie?

I'm into it. Odds games matter. That was how the 19th-century players handled games for stakes. We should just start feeding a thread of dedicated games at odds, all comers. Call it Cafe de la Regence.* I'll create this thing in a few days if no one else will (yes, I've been drinking.)

- R.

* If this has been tried before here, forgive me - I tried an archive search, but saw nothing obvious.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:Footnote: The two odds games Steve played (MCGP v EAG 2100) are on page 15 of that giant thread. MCGP wins the first at odds of pawn and move, and loses the second at odds of a knight. Fun!

Man, I think these types of matches pitting stronger v weaker machines deserve much more attention. Could GK 2100 give Queen odds to (for instance) Fidelity Mini Chess Challenger? Could RISC 2500 give pawn and move to Super Connie?

I'm into it. Odds games matter. That was how the 19th-century players handled games for stakes. We should just start feeding a thread of dedicated games at odds, all comers. Call it Cafe de la Regence.* I'll create this thing in a few days if no one else will (yes, I've been drinking.)
whatever your drinking..ill have some!
I have always had an interest in odds games between dedicated chess computers(and between humans)
and I have posted many odds games over the years here
During the summer of 2010 I sponsored an odds game between GM Larry Kaufman vs the Novag Conny 3.6 where Kaufman gave Rook Odds and won!

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=kaufman
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=kaufman

I also sponsored an 8 game match of "move and draw odds" between GM Joel Benjamin vs Rybka with the GM getting white each game and a full point for each win and each draw
Rybka won by a score of 6-2

http://chessok.com/?p=21973

Glad you found the games interesting

Make Mine A Double Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Re: Millennium (Chess Genius Pro)

Post by paulwise3 »

Reinfeld wrote: 9. Since I haven't played this thing yet, and I'm savoring the options, what would you all suggest for things to do?
Try beating it at 0 secs/move and pondering off (= eco on).
I tried once, no success... It plays strong! But I gave myself only 15 minutes total time.

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Miotornut

Post by Miotornut »

I would like to buy a new one. Where did you buy Can you tell me?
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I would like to buy a new one. Where did you buy Can you tell me?
You'll find it on Amazon or on the Millennium website, or on any number of chess retail sites.

- R.
– H.G. Wells