New member,bit of background.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Wixxy

New member,bit of background.

Post by Wixxy »

Hi
Have been reading this forum daily for many years.An avid collector of dedicated chess computers since late 70's when i purchased a Chess Challenger 7. One of my favs for nostalgic reasons! I now have a collection of 76 with 4 extra duplicates.All but a handful are boxed.My favorites are CC7, Fidelity Grandmaster as a nice size and auto sensory.My Novag Scorpio too because i purchased this when Mr Short took on Kasparov.Have the Novag distributor.Still a difficult computer.Have all the latest Chess Genius'.Nice to see a revival.I play engines too with pc and DGT board and Pi computer/clock.
Cheers
Paul
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: New member,bit of background.

Post by Steve B »

Wixxy wrote:Hi
Have been reading this forum daily for many years.An avid collector of dedicated chess computers since late 70's
Welcome Aboard Paul
You Are In Good Hands Regards
Steve
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Thanks Steve :D
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:
Welcome Aboard Paul

Steve
hmmm.... just wondering...how did you know Wixxy's real name is Paul?

Wixxy, I see you named a few models from your rather large collection.
Can you name some more for us?...eg, most collections have a selection
or rarities, I'm curious as to yours.
And of course a big welcome to the forum.
Larry
Dave C

Welcome to the Forum

Post by Dave C »

Hi Paul,

Always good to have another avid collector joining in on the fun here. Your seventy plus chess computers makes for an extensive collection. I agree with Larry - lets hear more about your collection.

Welcome to the forum....regards,
Dave
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Hi Larry and Dave,
I dont really have any rare or valuable computers in my collection as far as im aware.From what ive seen on ebay over the years my Scorpio with Novag distributor would probably be the one thats worth anything.I only have 2 auto sensory.No posh wooden auto sensory ones apart from MCG Exclusive.A few more are Cougar,Explorer Pro,Nigel Short,Novag Obsidian i like the wooden pieces as well as one of my other favs the Astral.Nice piece of wood on that one! Turbo advanced trainer,Travel Expert,Fidelity Designer 2100 and 1500.Most Kasparov ones to be honest.Boris Diplomat....rubbish at chess but looks so 70's.Simultano and some various Radioshack versions.
Regards
Paul nickname Wixxy
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Oh i forgot my Excalibur Phantom Force.Very noisy but scary to watch! Also Fidelity Chess Challenger 10,Voice Chess Challenger and Sensory Chess Challenger.I like the old Ron Nelson programs.
Also like to battle my collection out against each other every now and then in a 64 player knock out.Usuals come out on top and not really many games of mention until the big boys meet!
Regards
Paul
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard. Nice collection, you must have plenty of space then. Mine are all over the place in my little 2 bedroom maisonette, I’ve now run out of space to hide the ones that keep appearing from eBay and the like ......

Cheers,

Al.

You can see my collection by clicking on the link below .....
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Welcome Paul

Nice to have another Brit on board

Regards from Cheshire
Bryan
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Hi Al,
Thanks! Will have a look at your collection later.
Luckily i have a big 4 bedroom house and just me living here so plenty of storage space.Saying that though most of my collection is on top of wardrobes,under beds and iin a very big cupboard which is rammed floor to ceiling!! Thats another reason i like to do the Versus tournament as it gives me the reason to get out and play most of the computers and reminds me just what the heck i've actually got laying around the house :)
Cheers
Paul
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Thanks Bryan! :)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
hmmm.... just wondering...how did you know Wixxy's real name is Paul?
Not Really a big mystery Larry given he signed his first post

Paul Regards
Steve
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Welcome Paul,a nice extensive collection, me,I only have the 4,Revelation 11,Tasc R30, Exclusive Genius and CGPro, if it wasn't for my other passion, namely astronomy, which I have also spent thousands on,my collection would be much more extensive, but I guess you can't have everything. Regards Steve C.
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Thanks Steve C,
You certainly have very good quality computers in your collection.Envious about the Tasc.Travelled to Chess shop in London back in the day just to play on one! Never seen one in real life since.
Regards
Paul
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Yep,the Tasc R30, in my humble opinion, the ultimate trip down memory lane.Steve C.