Arena: Simultane connect to external board and chess server

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
blaubaer

Arena: Simultane connect to external board and chess server

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

I would like to get an advice from an experienced Arena user:

How can I connect Arena to an external chess board (DGT or Novag) and simultaneously (!!) to a chess server, like freechess for example?

It's no problem for me, to connect Arena to an external chess board or to a chess server, but I do not succeed in connecting both within the same session.

Thanks and regards, Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

the title should be of course ".....simultaneous...."

Typo regards, Michael
X__Gandalf__X

Lichess

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

I've got no personal experience, but you should try the chess server Lichess:
https://lichess.org/

I suggest this as Lichess is listed as supported here:
http://www.digitalgametechnology.com/in ... gt-e-board

Let us know how you get on
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Gandalf,

I know lichess very well - we used it early this year during our High Performer Chess Computer Tournament 2017!

By the way, in your suggested link DGT doesn't explain, how lichess supports the DGT board - ChessGuard seems to work with lichess and the DGT board; I will test this combination...

Sorry, but my question doesn't fit to your answer...

Regards, Michael
blaubaer

Re: Arena: Simultane connect to external board and chess ser

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,
blaubaer wrote:How can I connect Arena to an external chess board (DGT or Novag) and simultaneously (!!) to a chess server, like freechess for example?
it seems, that I've to answer my own question.... 8)

Yes, it works with both, DGT and Novag Citrine board, and as Mysticum has the same interface as Novag Citrine, it also works with Mysticum. :P

The combination of a DGT board and the software "ChessGuard" (with Rabbit plugin installed) on Lichess works too. But, I read in another forum, that Lichess could block this combination, because the server checks automated engine answers and it possibly checks ChessGuard as a chess engine...So, be aware of a possible loss of your Lichess account - guest account could be better...

Regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Re: Arena: Simultane connect to external board and chess ser

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,
blaubaer wrote:How can I connect Arena to an external chess board (DGT or Novag) and simultaneously (!!) to a chess server, like freechess for example?
it seems, that I've to answer my own question.... 8)

Yes, it works with both, DGT and Novag Citrine board, and as Mysticum has the same interface as Novag Citrine, it also works with Mysticum. :P

The combination of a DGT board and the software "ChessGuard" (with Rabbit plugin installed) on Lichess works too. But, I read in another forum, that Lichess could block this combination, because the server checks automated engine answers and it possibly checks ChessGuard as a chess engine...So, be aware of a possible loss of your Lichess account - guest account could be better...

Regards, Michael
Maybe we should write to Lichess and ask them to allow computer versus computer player accounts where the computer player clearly has this named in his profile name....for example spacious_mind_computer

Regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

possibly that could help...

Regards, Michael