Berlin Pro on ebay

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Berlin Pro on ebay

Post by Larry »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mephisto-Be ... 0033.m2042

Just in case you didn't notice it. It's got signs of having had a lot of
use, the control panel labelling is badly worn. Also, the display is fairly
badly faded. If I recall correctly, there is a display brightness adjuster
easily accessible, just under the removable flap on the top right
corner on the front of the game. It seem to be complete.d
L
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

OK, I'm the seller on this one. I thought about posting it to the forum, but didn't feel good about appearing to promote anything. Now that Larry has spotted it, I guess it doesn't matter.

I didn't want to sell this one. I spent several years tracking it down. I'll just say circumstances forced my hand and leave it at that. For those who are interested, a few details that aren't in the listing:

I bought it from the original owner, an older club player from the Midwest who had never used ebay before. Larry is right - the control panel labelling is worn, and the display brightness is low. I did not know about the adjuster below the flap (I didn't know the flap could be removed). I checked it after reading Larry's post, but did not attempt to adjust it.

Apart from that, the computer appears to have been well cared for. Everything is there. It plays like a champ. The seller told me the original adapter had died. I used my own, and the machine works just fine. If anyone has questions, I can answer them in this thread. The auction ends Monday.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi Reinfeld, I hope I have'nt offended you with anything I said. Maybe
it's a good idea to give the display brightness a turn to see what
happens? Hope the adjustment is not at the end of it's range. If you can
get the display to come up brighter, then maybe replace the picture you've got on ebay with the new one.
The production run could'nt have been real big on these things, since
they could almost be included on the 'rare' list. The boxes tend to become
rare more than the game itself, since the box takes a beating whenever
it's used, or even moved.
Maybe you could include in your description a link to the Berlin Pro,
which shows the size of it's opening book and it's rating, along with other
good information. Here it is:
https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... ofessional
Regarding the control panel lettering being worn, I always take care to
operate the controls without touching the lettering...it wears so easily.
I did notice that the game itself appears quite pristine, and you've got 100%
feedback, so hopefully there will be some snipers pushing the price up
in the closing seconds.
best of luck with your auction..
L
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

You're fine, Larry, and your suggestions for the listing are fine, too. I've found that ebay tightens revision rights near the end of auctions, so I'm just going to leave things as they are.

As for the brightness adjuster, I assume it's the plastic screw revealed when I opened the flap. It appeared to be in its initial position, untouched by the original owner. Probably not a big deal to follow your idea, but I didn't feel confident about messing with it. We'll just have to see how it plays, and hope that a collector with the appropriate knowledge has more courage.

No worries regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells