CXG2001

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Berger

Post by Berger »

JeffB wrote:By the way, have you tried remagnetizing the pieces?
I have read about a technique to 'remagnetize' an old magnet with the help of a powerful neodymium magnet. But... for that you have to be able to "touch" both sides of the old magnet (both poles), and for that I have to remove the old one from the chess piece. On the other hand, this technique only works with some types of magnets.

Regards,
Berger
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

There are other ways to remagnetize a dead magnet without removing it, such as rubbing it in one direction with a powerful magnet, or holding a strong electromagnet against it (you can make your own or try a cheap second hand tape head demagnetizer), or store it in a drawer with a strong magnet attached.

There are also shops that can remagnetize dead magnets, like some machine shops, marine repair shops, motor repair shops, etc.

But the easiest way may be to jusy buy one of the weak CXG computers that has the same type of pieces. That way you have a set to use while you experiment with remagnetizing or replacing the originals.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Berger

Post by Berger »

JeffB wrote:There are other ways to remagnetize a dead magnet without removing it (...)
Hello,

None of the methods tried by me have worked with these magnets. But the heating to soften the glue has worked well in order to remove the old magnets. As they fit perfectly, without gap, I previously had to make two small holes on the sides of the magnet (at 180 degrees), in order to pull them out with a thin pair of pliers, since the glue softens but it is not enough: I first tried pulling with a powerful neodymium magnet, but these old ferrite magnets are worse than a piece of iron.

The optimal diameter is 1/2" (slightly less than 13 mm), but since I didn't find the optimal height (4 mm) with that diameter, I finally bought these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182192631433 (12 x 4 mm)

They have the power threshold, because they activate the sensors perfectly, but the pieces repel each other a bit. If the pieces are in the center of their squares, there is no problem. But while playing, if you place one piece too close to an adjacent one, you notice how it moves slightly.

After sticking a new felt, the pieces are perfect again. :D

Best regards,
Berger
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

That's great news! They should last you 20 years now. Just don't let the magnets bang together. So no slam dancing for your pieces, okay?
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Berger

Post by Berger »

JeffB wrote:So no slam dancing for your pieces, okay?
No slam dancing. They are serious pieces! :wink:

Now I have a second set of pieces to repair: this time the process will be faster.

Regards,
Berger