self adaptive strength chess computers and software

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
jarek

self adaptive strength chess computers and software

Post by jarek »

Dear Chess Friends,

It seems to me that self-adapting opponents may be valuable sparring partners to improving chess players.
They would challenge the human player but give him enough chances to win every other game.
I did a search on the forum and found the following computers/software:

Computers
- Saitek Travel Champion 2100
- Saitek Expert Travel
- Saitek Cosmos
- Saitek Explorer Pro
- Saitek GK 2000
- Mephisto Chess Challenger
- Mephisto Master Chess

Software/engine
- Hiarcs Chess Explorer
- Power Chess / Power Chess 98 / Power Chess 2 (by Sierra)
- Shredder / Shredder Classic

What have I missed?
Please kindly add more machines.

Which one is your favourite and why?

cheers
Jarek
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Perhaps we should include Fritz, which has a function of that class.
Festina Lente
herO

Re: self adaptive strength chess computers and software

Post by herO »

jarek wrote:Dear Chess Friends,

It seems to me that self-adapting opponents may be valuable sparring partners to improving chess players.
They would challenge the human player but give him enough chances to win every other game.

Computers
- Saitek Expert Travel
- Saitek Cosmos
- Saitek Explorer Pro
- Saitek GK 2000
- Mephisto Master Chess

Software/engine
- Hiarcs Chess Explorer
- Power Chess / Power Chess 98 / Power Chess 2 (by Sierra)
- Shredder / Shredder Classic

What have I missed?
Please kindly add more machines.

cheers
Jarek
You can also include famous Chessmaster.
mauben

Post by mauben »

Computers
- Saitek Expert Travel
- Saitek Cosmos
- Saitek Explorer Pro
- Saitek GK 2000
- Mephisto Master Chess

cheers
Jarek
Travel Champion and Master Chess do not have self-adaptive levels like the Chess Challenger / Admiral.

The Chess Challenger adaptive feature is nice but I find it blunders big time even at the highest (strongest) level, in the end making it less fun than intended (or boasting my ego too much, seen from the opposite side).

My favourite "self-adaptive" software is Shredder for iphone, even though when I start winning too many games it nails me hard for a while. I like Shredder's elo improvement diagram (long term vs last 10 games).

Best,

Mauro
royb

Post by royb »

mauben wrote:

Computers
- Saitek Expert Travel
- Saitek Cosmos
- Saitek Explorer Pro
- Saitek GK 2000
- Mephisto Master Chess

cheers
Jarek
Travel Champion and Master Chess do not have self-adaptive levels like the Chess Challenger / Admiral.

The Chess Challenger adaptive feature is nice but I find it blunders big time even at the highest (strongest) level, in the end making it less fun than intended (or boasting my ego too much, seen from the opposite side).

My favourite "self-adaptive" software is Shredder for iphone, even though when I start winning too many games it nails me hard for a while. I like Shredder's elo improvement diagram (long term vs last 10 games).

Best,

Mauro
I think you've highlighted a great benefit to modern engines on modern devices (phones and tablets). There are a few engines that offer up either user-settable ELO (approximate, yes) or adaptive playing strength options. This, coupled with a very intuitive interface (the old dedicated computers were/are somewhat less than intuitive at times with their myriad buttons and modes), makes for a very easy to use and fun to play computer opponent no matter if your ability is near 1000 Elo or as high as 2900+ Elo.
jarek

Post by jarek »

Hi there,

One year passed since I started this thread and I feel the need to buy another chess computer :)

Therefore, please suggest a machine - preferably which has self-adaptive mode
OR many levels / strength settings
OR unique playing style

Strength minimum 1600 - it really doesn't need to be a recent "demon".
Price below $300 - so it cannot be anything recent, but hopefully still decent ;)

Thanks so much and I'm awaiting your advice!
cheers
Jarek
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Don't forget the fantastic Lucas Chess!
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

jarek wrote:Hi there,

One year passed since I started this thread and I feel the need to buy another chess computer :)

Therefore, please suggest a machine - preferably which has self-adaptive mode
OR many levels / strength settings
OR unique playing style

Strength minimum 1600 - it really doesn't need to be a recent "demon".
Price below $300 - so it cannot be anything recent, but hopefully still decent ;)

Thanks so much and I'm awaiting your advice!
cheers
Jarek
Greetings Jarek:

I hope that you are enjoying and benefitting from your recently acquired vast collection of Cyberchess program packs.
As for a dedicated chess computer, I have no idea what these units are selling for at this time, but would recommend a used in excellent condition Novag Diamond if you can find one at reasonable cost. Last year a friend from our local chess circuit sold his seldom used, complete Novag Sapphire (portable version) on eBay for well under $300. Of course a Star Diamond is vastly superior and features a much larger opening book, but these are scarce these days and selling for a lot more.

You will notice on The Spacious Mind website that these units are advertised as having a learning feature. Having played a very large sampling of games with these units in past days, I have determined that this function doesn’t really work that well because the computer only deviates at the point prior to its position evaluation decline – often times just playing out an alternate version of essentially the same lost game. Other than this quirk, these units were always a pleasure to play on, and I never incurred quality control issues beyond periodically having to perform a hardware reset due to static buildup.

Still anxiously awaiting....

Maurice’s Cyber Revelation Regards,
John
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

It seems the new DGT computer has a function that enables it to adapt its strength to that of its opponent. And its reported price is not so different from your budget.
nature abhors a vacuum cleaner
jarek

Post by jarek »

Dear John,

thanks a lot for your recommendation.
I will keep an eye on these machines - they seem to be very pricey these days!

Regarding Cyber Chess - the gentleman who sold me Cyber Chess is a chess teacher. I think he was kind of involved in the project since the very beginning as Mr Mikun considered him to prepare program modules. However in the end someone else was chosen to do this job. But he gave endorsement which is printed on the leaflet - the same leaflet carries GM Pal Benko's recommendation. The good news is that he still has some program packs left (duplicates of those that I purchased), so if you are interested, send me a PM and I will connect you with him.

cheers,
Jarek
jarek

Post by jarek »

Rob Appleby wrote:It seems the new DGT computer has a function that enables it to adapt its strength to that of its opponent. And its reported price is not so different from your budget.
Thanks Rob!
Your recommendation is highly appreciated!
cheers
Jarek
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I would recommend the Excalibur GM

wont adapt to your strength but it does have a playing level that tries to match the same amount of time you take to move

Large tournament sized auto sensory board
mid 1800's in strength
they show up on Ebay quite often
will run you about $200

Equal Time Regards
Steve
jarek

Post by jarek »

Steve B,
thanks for your recommendation!
have a great day
and adaptive strength regards,