Mephisto Saitek ((1900 elo 2004).Challenger behaving oddly

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Peeter

Mephisto Saitek ((1900 elo 2004).Challenger behaving oddly

Post by Peeter »

Hi all
Ive just recently bought this and it powers up fine batteries/charger. Ive just played a few games and it keeps hanging the queen for no reason in the opening? I have tried different levls 30s or 30 minute matches. I have run from batteries and mains. But it keeps repeating this nosense move. I play same opening and then out comes the queen to g5 be taken by my knight on f3??

Is it broken?

Many thanks Peter
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Just tried it on tournanent level 11\2 hours 40 moves and it just keeps hanging pieces. Oh dear not looking good!
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Peeter wrote:Just tried it on tournanent level 11\2 hours 40 moves and it just keeps hanging pieces. Oh dear not looking good!
Man, you had the bad luck to get it with a corrupted code.
Well look at the good side: you have now a chance to draw :-)

Fern
Festina Lente
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Oh no!!

But ive just noticed when i set it to ply mode (2,3,4 etc)it doesnt do it? It doesnt hang pieces. Does this change anything?

Thanks
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Peeter wrote:Oh no!!

But ive just noticed when i set it to ply mode (2,3,4 etc)it doesnt do it? It doesnt hang pieces. Does this change anything?

Thanks
In any case is a faulty machine. To play on the ground of ply limits is somewhat artificial. Maybe you already resetted the thing? It is a litle hole on the back to penetrate with a spin ...
Festina Lente
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

No i havent tried resetting it yet. I guess thats my last option. Im just wondering if this machine would hang pieces deliberately? The ply mode that works seems about right for its estimated elo.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Peeter wrote:No i havent tried resetting it yet. I guess thats my last option. Im just wondering if this machine would hang pieces deliberately? The ply mode that works seems about right for its estimated elo.
You will lose nothing putting the pin in the hole. Maybe it will fix the problem. At the very least is an easy option.
Festina Lente
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Cheers. This is weird. I just took out adaptor replaced batteries and it lost all my settings setting everythibg back to default. Now its working like it should. No repeated errors no hanging pieces. Can these computers glitch like this? It seems to be thinking more on the 30 second per move game as well. Its like it was stuck on one ply before.

Thanks
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Fernando wrote:
Peeter wrote:No i havent tried resetting it yet. I guess thats my last option. Im just wondering if this machine would hang pieces deliberately? The ply mode that works seems about right for its estimated elo.
You will lose nothing putting the pin in the hole. Maybe it will fix the problem. At the very least is an easy option.
In fact resetting it is the only way to fix the problem. It is a known bug for a number of Morsch machines: once you tried it on a fun level, it keeps playing bad moves whatever other level you try. The only way to solve it is resetting it by putting a pin in the ACL hole.
And afterwards stay away from the fun-levels, unless you really want to play those levels...!

EDIT: do it with the computer turned on, so you can verify that the computer re-initializes itself.

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Hey Paul thats exactly what happened. I tried fun levels and this was the first time i moved onto higher. Thanks so much!!
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Peeter wrote:Hey Paul thats exactly what happened. I tried fun levels and this was the first time i moved onto higher. Thanks so much!!
Glad that I could help! :-)
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...