Filtering by length

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Andrea61

Filtering by length

Post by Andrea61 »

Hello,
I use the TWIC feed to updated my database.
One of the problems with TWIC is that it lists many games without or almost without text, i.e with a ridiculous number of moves "played", no moves at all or just a very few.
What is the most efficient way to eliminate these games?
The natural thing to do seems to filter by game length and delete the whole filter but is it possible?
Murat

Re: Filtering by length

Post by Murat »

I suggest you sent a DM to Mark Crowther.

You can also ask him for help on his twitter page.

https://twitter.com/MarkTWIC
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Filtering by length

Post by Mark Uniacke »

They are simple to remove in HCE Pro:
1) In tab containing TWIC games use Database->Search header (or click the tool bar icon for Search header)
2) In the Search dialog set the move range you wish to find and click ok
Game list now has the games with the move range filter
3) Database->Select all games (or Ctrl/Cmd+A) to highlight all games
4) Database->Mark for deletion
All games in filter are now marked for deletion (grey with the cross through them)
5) To permanently remove them go to Database->Manage and in the dialog click Clean up database and the games will be removed and the database compacted and written.

If you have a reference database and just wanted to copy the games with enough moves I would do it differently, I would filter for the games to keep in step 2 and then copy and paste them into your reference database, it is less steps because you do not need to delete the games with few or no moves since you are not copying them to your reference database.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com