Amusing comment from another chess group

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Amusing comment from another chess group

Post by Reinfeld »

Friends,

I'm a chess book collector as well as a tabletop/dedicated collector, and I belong to an FB group that discusses books. The other day I posted a picture of my old Excellence, along with Super Connie, and suggested it might be amusing to bring it to my chess club and let all the young bullet enthusiasts break their brains against it. A few members lit up, knowing the machines. I mentioned that I had a rare Excellence model, with a 4mhz chip. One member said this:
Hmmm … sounds like you are implying that PEOPLE COLLECT THESE THINGS, akin to collecting chess books. Is that really the case?
I said yes of course, confessed my membership in the cult, and shared a link to this forum.

Solidarity regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Amusing comment from another chess group

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:16 am Friends,

I'm a chess book collector as well as a tabletop/dedicated collector, and I belong to an FB group that discusses books. The other day I posted a picture of my old Excellence, along with Super Connie, and suggested it might be amusing to bring it to my chess club and let all the young bullet enthusiasts break their brains against it. A few members lit up, knowing the machines. I mentioned that I had a rare Excellence model, with a 4mhz chip. One member said this:
Hmmm … sounds like you are implying that PEOPLE COLLECT THESE THINGS, akin to collecting chess books. Is that really the case?
I said yes of course, confessed my membership in the cult, and shared a link to this forum.

Solidarity regards,

- R.
Thanks for pointing your chess club members to this forum
we could use some young blood in here(bullet players or other wise)

Old And Anemic Regards
Steve