HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone

QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Constellation Expert Expert - Interface Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
dedicate computers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Constellation Expert Expert - Interface Card Reply with quote

Hello,

In the Constellation Expert, what does this accessory mean in the "interface card"?
In the owner's manual says that need the "interface card", this was made available by Novag?

Regards
Oswaldo
JeffB

Full Name: Jeff Bosch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's referring to selecting which interface to send data through, either PC or TV, via the distributor, which is a separate box that acts sort of like a router or interface adapter between super system devices, PCs, and TVs.

Regarding the "interface card", I haven't opened my CE but perhaps the interface is on a separate but built-in card (like the Universal Chess Boards and probably the Citrines) and the software on a separate ROM, sort of the way the earlier Super Connies and other early machines had a socket for the printer ROM. But that's just a guess. I've never seen an interface card, unless they mean a serial port interface card and the Novag driver software for PCs. I suppose that's possible, especially if the PCs at the time still needed a card to have basic I/O connectivity.

Jeff B.
dedicate computers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Connection for Novag Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe that's referring to selecting which interface to send data through, either PC or TV, via the distributor, which is a separate box that acts sort of like a router or interface adapter between super system devices, PCs, and TVs.

Regarding the "interface card", I haven't opened my CE but perhaps the interface is on a separate but built-in card (like the Universal Chess Boards and probably the Citrines) and the software on a separate ROM, sort of the way the earlier Super Connies and other early machines had a socket for the printer ROM. But that's just a guess. I've never seen an interface card, unless they mean a serial port interface card and the Novag driver software for PCs. I suppose that's possible, especially if the PCs at the time still needed a card to have basic I/O connectivity.

Hi,

Ok about your comments, but my question is where should I connect the cable for data transfer. The possible inputs would be where the clock would be connected but not recommended, the other input is for the Novag printer However the connection requires a special cable.

JeffB

Full Name: Jeff Bosch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. (I don't use my CE very often, as Super Expert and Sapphire have supplanted it.)

Unless Novag was planning an interface that would use the printer connector, I can't think of how they were going to do that. But I've never heard of such an interface; maybe someone else has.

Perhaps that's one reason they came out quickly with the first Super Expert, even though it was a little weaker, because they couldn't get the CE to work with an interface via the printer port?

Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Jeff B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: