Tinkering with Novag UCB...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Alain

Tinkering with Novag UCB...

Post by Alain »

... and Sargon II on the Apple II.

I have reverse engineered a bit Sargon II on the Apple II to make it exchange moves and receive some commands (choice of colors, level, switch to graphics)through the serial port, which allowed me to connect it to my Novag Universal Chessboard:

https://youtu.be/HjTEKvogtpk

-Alain
spacious_mind

Re: Tinkering with Novag UCB...

Post by spacious_mind »

Alain wrote:... and Sargon II on the Apple II.

I have reverse engineered a bit Sargon II on the Apple II to make it exchange moves and receive some commands (choice of colors, level, switch to graphics)through the serial port, which allowed me to connect it to my Novag Universal Chessboard:

https://youtu.be/HjTEKvogtpk

-Alain
Hi Alain,

Wow would be fantastic if you could make old home pc programs work on Novag Universal Chess Board.

Regards
Nick
Nick
Alain

Post by Alain »

spacious_mind wrote:Wow would be fantastic if you could make old home pc programs work on Novag Universal Chess Board.
this is unlikely: I am a 6502 guy, that's why Par Excellence & Milano are my favorites :)

Best regards,
Alain
dedicate computers

apple commands

Post by dedicate computers »

Hi Alain,

Always with technology and for those who are accustomed to the commands of Pc-microsoft, these you typed is a torture to understand.
Regards
Oswaldo
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Alain wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Wow would be fantastic if you could make old home pc programs work on Novag Universal Chess Board.
this is unlikely: I am a 6502 guy, that's why Par Excellence & Milano are my favorites :)

Best regards,
Alain
That's what I meant :) Z80, 6502 and 68000 :) Sinclair, Commodores, Atari's and Apples....but no Oranges!

Best regards
Nick
Murat

Post by Murat »

That's an Apple IIc plus. Brings back memories.
Alain

Post by Alain »

Murat wrote:That's an Apple IIc plus. Brings back memories.
Yup, in fact I was able to attend this year a gathering around the Apple II, Kansas Fest where we were 100 during a week ! And hacking Sargon was my entry in the small hack competition there.
spacious_mind wrote:That's what I meant :) Z80, 6502 and 68000 :) Sinclair, Commodores, Atari's and Apples....but no Oranges!
In fact, my initial goal was to be able to automate program vs program games and maybe play Apple II vs dedicated machines but I don't think that the Apple II's programs have any change against a dedicated machine with a serial port: I think that in all games I played between Sargon III on the Apple II and the Par Excellence, Par won. Dedicated with serial port are even stronger...

To make a long story short, I'll try to hack into other Apple II programs, I am not even sure to succeed here. Machines that I don't know so well are non-starter: you have to reverse engineer assembly code to find where it reads and output moves, so no Sinclair, Commodore ou Atari either, at least not by me :(
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Alain wrote:
Murat wrote:That's an Apple IIc plus. Brings back memories.
Yup, in fact I was able to attend this year a gathering around the Apple II, Kansas Fest where we were 100 during a week ! And hacking Sargon was my entry in the small hack competition there.
spacious_mind wrote:That's what I meant :) Z80, 6502 and 68000 :) Sinclair, Commodores, Atari's and Apples....but no Oranges!
In fact, my initial goal was to be able to automate program vs program games and maybe play Apple II vs dedicated machines but I don't think that the Apple II's programs have any change against a dedicated machine with a serial port: I think that in all games I played between Sargon III on the Apple II and the Par Excellence, Par won. Dedicated with serial port are even stronger...

To make a long story short, I'll try to hack into other Apple II programs, I am not even sure to succeed here. Machines that I don't know so well are non-starter: you have to reverse engineer assembly code to find where it reads and output moves, so no Sinclair, Commodore ou Atari either, at least not by me :(
Hi Alain,

Yes, these old home computers at 1 Mhz just don't have the speed to beat a Par Ex. I collected a few Apple computers as well. I have the IIc, IIe and II plus.

Best regards
Nick
Nick
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I love the 6502, or at least I did back in the day. I learned to program (in assembler) on a Rockwell AIM-65 back in the late seventies. I used 6502's in a few industrial controllers I designed in the 80's. Then I learned about microcontrollers, and went in a different direction...

There's a company that makes kits that recreate some of the classic computers such as Apple II, MOS-65 (I think that's what it was called), and a few others, using new boards and done in miniature (though fully functional). You could possibly run old games on those. I'll try to find the URL and post it here.
Cheers,

Jeff B.