Novag adapter 8.5 v dc question

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kosterix

Novag adapter 8.5 v dc question

Post by kosterix »

What would happen when I use a regular 9v adapter on a novag super sensor iv
Would it burn the machine?
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

I ask this because I can nowhere seem to find 8.5v adapters for EU current.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Hi -

The Novag Super Sensor uses an 8.5 volt AC adapter, not DC. (That could explain not being able to find one. I have some from European computers I've purchased, but I'm here in the USA and I don't know if it's worth shipping cost.)

I recommend doing a new search for 8.5vac and see what you find. There should be plenty. I've also used adapters from Verifone and a few other manufacturers because they use the same connector.

In theory, the 9VDC should work fine. The machine has a rectifier circuit to convert AC to DC, which should then be fed into a regulator at whatever voltage the system requires, probably 5VDC considering the era. That said, I'd still try to find the correct adapter. Let me know if I can help with searching.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Larry

Post by Larry »

kosterix wrote:I ask this because I can nowhere seem to find 8.5v adapters for EU current.
Just looked at https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... _Sensor_IV
The comp can't convert dc to AC so it won't work. The AC output adapters
are a bit harder to come by, but until you find one you have to
use batteries.
L
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

The computer won't have to convert DC to AC. Internally, it converts the AC input to DC. If you feed DC into a power supply that expects AC*, it will pass through the full-wave rectifier as the DC voltage minus the loss across the diodes, then into the regulator. So, unless the computer requires AC internally (which I doubt it does), then feeding DC should work. However, there is a small chance that the input to the regulator exceeds its maximum input voltage**, which could cause it to malfunction or overheat, therefore ...

... it's still best practice to use an adaptor with the correct specs, though it can be from a different manufacturer.

* I'm talking about a small AC input, such as 8.5 volts, not a 120 or 220 volt line input. In that case, the voltage would be way too low to do anything useful.

** If you're brave and handy with a screwdriver, you could open the unit, find the voltage regulator, then look up its specs online. If it's the standard 7805, you're probably safe. If it's a 78L05, maybe not.
Cheers,

Jeff B.