novag primo

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kosterix

novag primo

Post by kosterix »

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/122630412009?ul_noapp=true

is it any good?
how is its play style for <club players?
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

It is rated about 1700 elo, so should be a reasonable opponent for the intermediate club player.

EDIT: But on the German ebay you could find the Mephisto Europa with the same strength, and much cheaper...

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
scandien

Post by scandien »

hello

i do not own the primo but i own the NOVAG SUPER VIP, which is supposed to be closely related.

i have run a match versus internet and the resulting evaluation can be found below :

"
The NOVAG Super VIP get a level of 1808 on FICS ( actions games as the others so you have to substract 80 points to get his tournament level). It faces a relatively strong opposition and his performance is quite good for it.
His tactical skill are not the main strength of the machine, but it has a very solid and classical playing. It will not perform brilliant sacrifice, but will choose more quiet moves. It may be sometimes greedy with material and then forget positional criterias, and be crush by an aware opponent. Without this behaviour, the NOVAG SUPER VIP will have get a better rating.
Most of the time his position are good , and he machine is skillful in middle game. In the end game , the machine is quite good too, the it cannot calculate so far and can do obvious errors.
The NOVAG SUPER VIP is a good and interesting machine for a club player, quite balanced during the differents phases of the game, and a human should be concentrate until the last move to be able to win versus it."

best regards

Nicolas
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

"a very solid and classical playing. It will not perform brilliant sacrifice, but will choose more quiet moves. It may be sometimes greedy with material "

thank you for answering!

I will avoid this machine then. I am looking for interesting play, not solid walls to crash my head on, and the Constellation seems the most promising. So hard to find info on how humans perceive dedi chess comps...
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

kosterix wrote:I am looking for interesting play, not solid walls to crash my head on,
For interesting play in this strength class, the Mephisto Europa / Europa A is a very good alternative. And as I mentioned, very cheap on the german Ebay.

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

thanks ill look into it.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

well europa does not detect draw by repetition. So I'll skip that one. Also the board style is not my taste.

I'll take a look at the europa a.