Garry Kasparov teaches chess

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

luis wrote: But I'm going to do it nevertheless.

I'll download the torrent if available and have a look at it.
I would like them to go bankrupt too, but unfortunately this will never happen considering how many people find this totally acceptable.

They will not be economically hit by this because I would never give my money to them, so that's not a lost sale. I don't think this should be too hard to grasp. Don't try to perpetuate this stupid idea.

Nothing will change for them, they will be not aware of it, and they'll continue to make people pay for something they can't really own even if it's readily available but kept hostage because that's their "policy".

I have similar views on software, and since you were talking about software, ideally:

1) Software should be not protected unless the protection is invisible and infallible.

2) If you want to protect it, the customer should never see the protection in his everyday life, it should work automagically for him and make itself manifest only when he's about to commit something we can for simplicity define as morally illegal (give a copy of the software to someone else, trying to convert an evaluation in full, etc.)

3) If it's not technically achievable the real-life approximation should tend to point 2 even at the price of losing some sales.

Most important of all:

4) Great useful software regularly updated and sold at the right price always sell.

I bought much software in my life, I have a list of registered software with acceptable protection policies probably longer than most people here. I also bought instructional videos, documentaries, even chess instructional videos.

I can accept a not ideal situation if the vendor at least show it's trying to do the right thing. That's clearly not the case.

Things like the case in point just piss me off. They piss me and people willing to accept this, to a certain degree, also piss me off.

Again, that's my comment about this product.
Final warning if you make one more post advocating breaking the law you will receive a ban from this site.