The Price of Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
afos99

The Price of Dedicated Chess Computers

Post by afos99 »

So to make Larry happy, a new post.

I have been buying chess computers for just a few years now. eBay has been my friend?! When I started the price of higher end machines was out of my justifiable range. However more recently I have been able to buy a few.

Have prices peaked, even fallen? Is there a bit less interested in dedicateds?

Dave
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

Yes prices has definitely fallen IMO especially at the lower end of the market. Collectors seem to only be after rare or mint condition items to expand or upgrade their collection respectively. Prices seemed to peak five or so years ago.

I have a few I've been trying to sell for a while with limited success. Including a mint MB Phantom and mint Scisys Leonardo and a MMIV+HG440 module set with not one single offer for any :(
Larry

Post by Larry »

Tr0ntreez wrote: I have a few I've been trying to sell for a while with limited success. Including a mint MB Phantom and mint Scisys Leonardo and a MMIV+HG440 module set with not one single offer for any :(
I'm wondering if the cost of shipping is putting buyers off for the
Phantom and Leonardo. High shipping costs for heavy machines has
worked in my favour too when buying a chess comp locally but
foreigners are put off.
L
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

Larry wrote:
Tr0ntreez wrote: I have a few I've been trying to sell for a while with limited success. Including a mint MB Phantom and mint Scisys Leonardo and a MMIV+HG440 module set with not one single offer for any :(
I'm wondering if the cost of shipping is putting buyers off for the
Phantom and Leonardo. High shipping costs for heavy machines has
worked in my favour too when buying a chess comp locally but
foreigners are put off.
L
Yes you're quite right Larry. I've only been able to sell smaller plastic units overseas and have sold a few of the larger ones domestically. Also have found a few bargains buying larger units locally so can't complain too much.

tt