The Saitek GK 2100

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
rookorbycrook

saitek president

Post by rookorbycrook »

Hi guys and gals ...... response to this topic, glad to say Eric Hallsworth has very kindly uploaded on his website all the copies of " Selective Search "

In the copy I had when I got the President for my Christmas present ( 1994 )

The manual shows you a list of chess computers that were reviewed in that month. It goes on to tell you that the Saitek President has a elo of 2040 and with that figure you would match in on their score sheet in the copy of the magazine. It gives the rating at 1 min, 2 min 40 moves in 2 hours and 5 seconds a move.

I played my Saitek president against Fritz 15 it lasted 41 moves on 5 seconds a move. ( default setting ) and then 39 moves on 40 moves in 2 hours. So the 5 seconds a move is the strongest level, If you set fritz 15 on friend mode my Saitek President beat it last night would you believe, against a Reti opening, and fritz rates it friend mode at 2200 which I think is US setting.

But anyway its a lovely machine I have two of them one being the Pra'sident and the other President. Just missed out on one last night infact on Ebay from the USA it went for £194 ......... but has a black rook missing. I AM LOOKING FOR A CONTROL MODULE ....... thanks for listening. If anyone has any questions please love to talk regards Ian.

PS

Here is the link for all the Selective Search magazines from 1985 - 2013

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/sel ... earch.html

all the best

PPS

here is the link for Chess Computers UK with other info and interests for chess computers etc

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: saitek president

Post by Fernando »

rookorbycrook wrote:Hi guys and gals ...... response to this topic, glad to say Eric Hallsworth has very kindly uploaded on his website all the copies of " Selective Search "

In the copy I had when I got the President for my Christmas present ( 1994 )

The manual shows you a list of chess computers that were reviewed in that month. It goes on to tell you that the Saitek President has a elo of 2040 and with that figure you would match in on their score sheet in the copy of the magazine. It gives the rating at 1 min, 2 min 40 moves in 2 hours and 5 seconds a move.

I played my Saitek president against Fritz 15 it lasted 41 moves on 5 seconds a move. ( default setting ) and then 39 moves on 40 moves in 2 hours. So the 5 seconds a move is the strongest level, If you set fritz 15 on friend mode my Saitek President beat it last night would you believe, against a Reti opening, and fritz rates it friend mode at 2200 which I think is US setting.

But anyway its a lovely machine I have two of them one being the Pra'sident and the other President. Just missed out on one last night infact on Ebay from the USA it went for £194 ......... but has a black rook missing. I AM LOOKING FOR A CONTROL MODULE ....... thanks for listening. If anyone has any questions please love to talk regards Ian.

PS

Here is the link for all the Selective Search magazines from 1985 - 2013

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/sel ... earch.html

all the best

PPS

here is the link for Chess Computers UK with other info and interests for chess computers etc

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/
I hope Eric is OK, so his wife. I was a subscriber of his magazine to the end, so I recall. Always entertaining. Those were the days....
Festina Lente
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

glad to say Eric Hallsworth has very kindly uploaded on his website all the copies of " Selective Search "
Very useful. Thanks so much for the link.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
kanjart

Re:

Post by kanjart »

True, but if you are aware of the fun-level bug then it is no issue if you know what to do: just press the ACL.
The H8 bug is annoying, but happens very seldom.
Last year I played a great game with the Centurion tuned at 40 MHz at a Schachcomputer.info tournament. I will look it up to show you here.
Btw, the Mephisto Chess Challenger and the Saitek Centurion are regularly seen at the german ebay, and sell often for under 75,- ....

Owning three Chess Challengers regards,
Paul
[/quote]

Hi,
"Centurion tuned at 40 MHz" how have you done to run the H8 processor at 40 MHZ?
Many thank's
Cordially!
paulwise3

Re: Re:

Post by paulwise3 »

kanjart wrote: Hi,
"Centurion tuned at 40 MHz" how have you done to run the H8 processor at 40 MHZ?
Many thank's
Cordially!
Hi,
It is done by replacing the 10 MHZ crystal with a 40 MHz one. Be alert that then it's clock will also run 4 times faster. So for a rapid game at 30 sec/move you should choose level 2 minutes/move.
Also you have to test if it still runs error free.
This was done by a technical chess friend. It needs careful soldering.
This can also be done with the Mephisto Chess Challenger, but there the limit for error free playing seems 32 MHz. I had one tuned to 40 MHZ, but every now and then it made strange blunders.
And you have to use a better adapter which provides at least 500 mA.
Batteries will not function anymore.

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...