New to Hiarcs for IPAD and suggestion

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

CompDad

New to Hiarcs for IPAD and suggestion

Post by CompDad »

Hi,

I just bought Hiarcs for IPad and it is amazing.

I just want to suggest that we can play rated games, without any assistance from Hiarcs and non-rated games, in order to learn. This way, we can have a more precise Idea of our ELO rating.

I would like to suggest, too, that the opening name appear at the beginning of the game, not only after abandoning the book. It can change the name after a transposing and so on. This way is better for memorize openings names.

Congratulations for the software, I'm more than satisfied for the purchase.

Cheers

P.S. sorry for my bad english
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks for the feedback.

It would be possible to have an extra choice under Play mode where a user could choose Rated game or Unrated game. A rated game could be restricted so it does not display analysis or give hints or allow takebacks or provide coaching. My main concern is would customers then complain that they want that info?

Are there others who want a more strict rated game mode?

Unrated games would allow all existing options but the user would not receive a rating for it.

The openings are named late because it is clearer then which opening is being played. Naming them early would mean the opening classification could be incorrect quite often which I am concerned would leave a bad impression.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

It would be possible to have an extra choice under Play mode where a user could choose Rated game or Unrated game. A rated game could be restricted so it does not display analysis or give hints or allow takebacks or provide coaching. My main concern is would customers then complain that they want that info?

Unrated games would allow all existing options but the user would not receive a rating for it.

The openings are named late because it is clearer then which opening is being played. Naming them early would mean the opening classification could be incorrect quite often which I am concerned would leave a bad impression.
Mark,

I love the idea of this concept. This would allow "practice" in unrated mode, and then you could truly test your skill during the "rated" play.

Several years ago, I owned two versions of "Shredder" on my iPhone (before I was converted). I owned the free "Shredder Lite" & the full commercial "Shredder Chess" versions of the iOS app.

I would segregate my activity between the two applications. I used the Lite version for training, practice, openings, etc, with hints enabled. Then, I would then use the full paid version to play actual games - that way the "practice" in the Lite version did not affect my calculated ELO rating.

This seems to be exactly what CompDad is suggesting. This would allow you to segregate your rated play within the app, and also use it for training or practice purposes. Great idea!!!

Greg
royb

Post by royb »

fourthirty wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

Mark,

I love the idea of this concept. This would allow "practice" in unrated mode, and then you could truly test your skill during the "rated" play.

Several years ago, I owned two versions of "Shredder" on my iPhone (before I was converted). I owned the free "Shredder Lite" & the full commercial "Shredder Chess" versions of the iOS app.

I would segregate my activity between the two applications. I used the Lite version for training, practice, openings, etc, with hints enabled. Then, I would then use the full paid version to play actual games - that way the "practice" in the Lite version did not affect my calculated ELO rating.

This seems to be exactly what CompDad is suggesting. This would allow you to segregate your rated play within the app, and also use it for training or practice purposes. Great idea!!!

Greg
I have to say this would be a great idea; I would love to see this in Hiarcs on the iPad!