Question about RS Chess Champion 2150

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
CompDad

Question about RS Chess Champion 2150

Post by CompDad »

HI,

The question is about ELO, the 2150 with only 3 Mhz is 1750, while his younger brother, 2150L with 8 Mhz has 1783, why only this little difference?

I know they have different processors and the 2150 has much larger opening book, but is this enough for the much slower 2150 be almost equal to the 2150L?

By the way, what a nice computer to play!

I thank you in advance!

Cheers
spacious_mind

Re: Question about RS Chess Champion 2150

Post by spacious_mind »

CompDad wrote:HI,

The question is about ELO, the 2150 with only 3 Mhz is 1750, while his younger brother, 2150L with 8 Mhz has 1783, why only this little difference?

I know they have different processors and the 2150 has much larger opening book, but is this enough for the much slower 2150 be almost equal to the 2150L?

By the way, what a nice computer to play!

I thank you in advance!

Cheers
They are running on two different processor chips so the MHz speed is not the only factor. The 6502 per MHz is a little faster than the H8 per MHz.

Regards
Nick
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Thanks Nick. This makes sense.

So, comparing the two, the much larger opening book and 72k memory to record games, makes the 2150 a winner.

For me, RS ( or Saitek?), lost the opportunity to make a better product.

Cheers
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,

maybe part of the explanation (in addition to the 2150L reduced opening book) lies here: http://electronicchess.free.fr/heroes.html#2150l

Kaplan's 1990 leave from Saitek is logged in Schachcomputer.info's wiki: https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... lan,_Julio
(Saitek provided both 2150 & 2150L to Tandy/RS)

I doubt regarding F. Morsch authoring - the 2150L would have been much stronger with it's H8 CPU. But a poor Kaplan's program adaptation to H8 is very possible...
best regards,
Tibono
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

But to be fair, Radio Shack did have at least three stronger chess computers (maybe four): Chess Champion 2250XL, Master 2200X, Mega 2050X, and possibly ChessMaster. I'm running a tournament right now with a majority of Radio Shack units. Many were clones, certainly, but Radio Shack put their name and money behind them and put their own unique flair on the chess computer genre.
mclane

Post by mclane »

The morsch programs are stronger. But the Kaplan programs play better chess, or ?

Also the morsch programs are in almost all new Saiten machines, I find this cloning very boring. You have one machine and it plays the same null move shit like all the others, even has the same bugs.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

mclane wrote: I find this cloning very boring. You have one machine and it plays the same null move shit like all the others, even has the same bugs.
Well I don't own both cloned machines AND the originals, so I don't find them boring. And I don't understand the "null move" comment.
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Tibono2 wrote:Hi,

maybe part of the explanation (in addition to the 2150L reduced opening book) lies here: http://electronicchess.free.fr/heroes.html#2150l

Kaplan's 1990 leave from Saitek is logged in Schachcomputer.info's wiki: https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... lan,_Julio
(Saitek provided both 2150 & 2150L to Tandy/RS)

I doubt regarding F. Morsch authoring - the 2150L would have been much stronger with it's H8 CPU. But a poor Kaplan's program adaptation to H8 is very possible...
best regards,
Tibono
Thanks for the links. Interesting French site.

I agree, 2150L is a Kaplan, not Morsch, although a I don't have one, I had the Prisms, which is the same of 2150L, but I sold to buy the 2150, much better IMHO.
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

TracySMiller wrote:But to be fair, Radio Shack did have at least three stronger chess computers (maybe four): Chess Champion 2250XL, Master 2200X, Mega 2050X, and possibly ChessMaster. I'm running a tournament right now with a majority of Radio Shack units. Many were clones, certainly, but Radio Shack put their name and money behind them and put their own unique flair on the chess computer genre.
It will be very interesting see the results of your tournament. I have the RS Master Chess, it is strong but there's little information about it, only some comments of Nick saying it has similarities with the Fritz 2 and from BLITZ ELO from MECA site, in which it is the strongest RS.

Looking forward tournament results regards
Last edited by CompDad on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

TracySMiller wrote:
mclane wrote: I find this cloning very boring. You have one machine and it plays the same null move shit like all the others, even has the same bugs.
Well I don't own both cloned machines AND the originals, so I don't find them boring. And I don't understand the "null move" comment.
I think he is talking about the Morsch clones (many KG 2000 and GK 2100 clones), not Kaplan.

As for boring, I think there's a way to diversify thinks, like more passive, active, random, at least the RS MASTER CHESS has it, don't know if it is the right interpretation.

Not bored regards
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Yeah, the next matchup for me will be the RS Chess Master going up against Excalibur's Igor. Should be a fun match.

I have three more chess computers headed my way that I ordered via eBay: the Radio Shack 1750L (travel computer), the Excalibur Alexandra, and the Fidelity Designer 2000. I can't fit them into this Tournament, but maybe the next one. I'm starting to get addicted to these machines.

I hope I don't run out of money!