Spacious-Mind Swiss Chess Computer League - Division 3

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Spacious-Mind Swiss Chess Computer League - Division 3

Post by spacious_mind »

It is now time to start the Spacious-Mind Swiss Chess Computer League - Division 3.

There were a lot of contestants who wanted to play in Division 3 but the final decision of who would be selected to play lay firmly on the shoulders of the Chief Arbiter. The Tournament's Chief Arbiter selected the following dossiers as best suited to make for a very exciting and competitive Swiss league.

So may his head roll if this ends up not to be the case.

Each selected contestant had to provide a dossier with passport photo, country of birth and date of birth and so on. The Chief Arbiter took his duties very seriously as he really wanted to avoid any deceptive practices that could tarnish this very prestigious International Competition, where a lot of country pride is at stake as well as the huge winners purse that was collected from many sponsoring Corporations residing within the territories of the participating member federations. Here are the final carefully selected Dossiers, officially disclosed to the partisan public to assure them of the Chief Arbiters fair selection process!

Division 3: Player Dossiers (30 in total)

Participating Federations

1) Commodore Amiga Federation - using the WINUAE emulation platform running at a maximum 68060 processor speed. Commodore Amiga entered 7 contestants, well actually it is 6 contestants with one contestant somehow being allowed to enter twice, which the Chief Arbiter considered to be reasonable as a result of this contestant's well documented medical condition of having a split personality disorder. In order to assure that everything was above board, he was however made to pay the full entrance fee for each of his entered personalities.

2) Atari ST Federation - using the Hatari emulation platform also running with a 68060 processor but only with a 32 MHz speed. Atari ST whose majority of members are 3rd world is therefore not as technologically advanced as some of the other federations and their members. Atari ST also have a split personality contestant that they wanted to enter, but in the end they decided to save the entrance fee cost and enter just one of the two personalities. They did however manage to convince the Chief Arbiter that the twins that they submitted are not identical and they aimed to prove it in this tournament. The Chief Arbiter agreed that this was reasonable so long as the twins could be clearly separated by one always wearing a green jersey and the other a yellow jersey. Atari ST are represented with 5 contestants.

3) DOS Federation - using DOSBox with 69,300 cpu cycles in order to emulate a Pentium 90, once again somehow managed to convince the Chief Arbiter to allow them to enter the most contestants. Having for two decades almost dropped off the computer chess radar because of political chess unrest, they have recently managed to recover and are now determined to show the rest or the world that they are back! DOS entered 15 contestants.

4) Dedicated Computer Federation - This formerly dominant Federation feels a little humiliated after having entered 7 contestants in the previous League, performing poorly and missing out on all 8 promotion spots. This has resulted in a thorough reassessment of their members abilities and the Federation came to the final conclusion that it is not "quantity that counts but quality". As a result the Dedicated Computer Federation decided on entering just 3 # Hashtag "Quality Contestants".

Participating Countries

Austria = 1 Contestant
Denmark = 1 Contestant
Germany = 1 Contestant
Great Britain = 13 Contestants
Hungary = 1 Contestant
Netherlands = 2 Contestants
Russia = 2 Contestants
USA = 9 Contestants

TOTAL = 30 Contestants

Division 3 Start Rankings

The Chief Arbiter ranked the contestants as follows using both FIDE and USCF values. The higher rating is USCF.

The Titles are LM for Life Master for any contestant rated over 2200 ELO but below 2400 ELO and CM for Country Master (or Candidate Master) for any contestant rated above 2000 ELO but below 2200 ELO.

The 8 promoted contestants from Division 4 carried over their final ELO rating.

The Chief Arbiter was quoted as saying "this should be a pretty interesting Tournament with quite a big increase of expected quality games."

It took a long time to figure out who should play in Division 3 as there were a lot of programs that could have been included. In the end the Chief Arbiter decided on these contestants saving the others for the future to play in Division 2 and above.

If anyone followed the Division 4 League, there should now be a better feel for the programs capabilities. Therefore If anyone is interested, then please try to predict who will end up in the TOP 5 in order from 1 to 5. It should be fun to see where you land once the league is completed :P

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is the Schedule for Round 1:

Swiss League Division 3 Round 1 Schedule

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I am trying out something different in this report which I hope makes it easier to follow and replay the games. In each game there is a link for the game to be replayed which should open a separate tab or window in your browser. All you have to do is play through the game and then close the browser tab/window. If you want to play the next game then just repeat the same by clicking the corresponding game link.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Here are the first games of Division 3 Round 1.

Round 1 Game 1:

AT68060-32 Sargon 3 - AM68060 CP2150

RESULT: 1/2-1/2

CLICK BELOW TO REPLAY GAME

http://chess.tuxtown.net/game-replayer. ... a8afa1e7b7

FINAL POSITION

[fen]8/2r3p1/6k1/4R2R/8/8/2r3PK/8 w - - 0 62[/fen]

Atari Sargon 3 competed well against the Division 4 champion and may have had overall the best opportunities.

Round 1 Game 2:

Millennium Chess Genius - AM68060 Checkmate Aggressive

RESULT: 1/2-1/2

http://chess.tuxtown.net/game-replayer. ... af560b1822

FINAL POSITION

[fen]5R2/8/p7/1p3k2/1P4p1/P3KpP1/5P2/3r4 w - - 0 61[/fen]

Millennium Chess Genius had the initiative early on after the opening which left Black pieces placed awkwardly. Amiga Checkmate set up to play in Aggressive mode shows that it is capable program in this game. Overall the draw was fair for both programs.

Round 1 Game 3:

AM68060 Checkmate Normal - AM68060 CC2175

RESULT: 1-0

http://chess.tuxtown.net/game-replayer. ... 22622c2112

CRITICAL POSITION

[fen]r5k1/5ppp/p1n5/P1N1b3/1P6/B2R3P/5PK1/8 w - - 0 44[/fen]

Until now it a draw seemed certain. The expected moves in this position were either 44. ... g5, h6, g6 or h6, to allow the King some escape routes. What was not expected was the move 44. ... Bd4? which loses a piece for a pawn and the game.

[fen]6k1/2P2ppp/1b1B4/8/8/2R4P/1r3P2/5K2 w - - 0 51[/fen]

Here it the position a few moves later after AM68060 Checkmate Normal 51. c7 and AM68060 Chess Champion 2175 has to give up his Bishop for the Pawn.

FINAL POSITION

[fen]5k2/R7/3rK1p1/5p1p/5P1P/8/8/8 w - - 0 77[/fen]

Round 1 Game 4:

DB Sargon 5 - AM68060 Chess Simulator

RESULT: 0-1

http://chess.tuxtown.net/game-replayer. ... d2fa801a38

CRITICAL POSITION

[fen]8/5k2/N2Bn3/P5n1/8/5p1p/7K/8 w - - 0 66[/fen]

DB Sargon 5 played a Scotch Gambit and not very well in this game, ending up 2 pawns behind and chasing equality. Finally in the above position DB Sargon 5 gets a chance to draw the game with 66. Bg3! or even 66. Kg3, but misses it. The move 66. Kg1? that Sargon 5 played was a mistake that loses quickly. AM68060 Chess Simulator also shows in this game that he will be tough to beat.

FINAL POSITION

[fen]8/8/q5k1/8/8/6B1/5K2/8 w - - 0 77[/fen]

Round 1 Game 5:

AM68060 Complete Chess System - DB YChess 1.09

RESULT: 0-1

http://chess.tuxtown.net/game-replayer. ... 237a4e7606

CRITICAL POSITION

[fen]1r6/2qb2k1/2pr2pp/2QpRp2/2B2P2/2P5/6PP/4R1K1 w - - 0 49[/fen]

AM68060 Complete Chess System completely controlled this game until this position was reached. The obvious moves that retain a good advantage for White are 49. Bxd5! or 49. Rxd5. Complete Chess System overlooked both of these moves and played 49. Re7+? instead and ends up losing this game.

FINAL POSITION

[fen]6b1/6k1/6p1/3p1p2/3r1P2/R7/6PP/5K2 w - - 0 65[/fen]

Best Regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Incredible work, man.
BTW, do you know where we can get for running in D-fend Kallisto and some others not available in the usual abandon sites I know?

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:Incredible work, man.
BTW, do you know where we can get for running in D-fend Kallisto and some others not available in the usual abandon sites I know?

Fern
I thought you got Kallisto? Will let you know.

Regards
Nick
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Nick,

Reading the introduction to this new competition was very fun. LMAO. :lol: I am unaware of any Arbitrator ever having to make so many delicate decisions: twins...identical twins....split personalities competing separately with no collaboration? :shock:

My prediction is:

1. Chess Simulator
2. Millennium Chess Genius (Go Dedicateds!)
3. CP 2150
4. Sargon 5
5. Ychess 1.09

Also, the links to the games seems to work great. I enjoyed clicking through a few games so far. What program are you using to create the playable games?

Enjoying the competition.
Dave
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Dave C wrote:Hi Nick,

Reading the introduction to this new competition was very fun. LMAO. :lol: I am unaware of any Arbitrator ever having to make so many delicate decisions: twins...identical twins....split personalities competing separately with no collaboration? :shock:

My prediction is:

1. Chess Simulator
2. Millennium Chess Genius (Go Dedicateds!)
3. CP 2150
4. Sargon 5
5. Ychess 1.09

Also, the links to the games seems to work great. I enjoyed clicking through a few games so far. What program are you using to create the playable games?

Enjoying the competition.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the predictions! Well, lets see what happens. I think there are a lot of good programs entered so I myself really am not sure of how it would end.

Regarding the games Replayer, it is really very easy. I use Chessbase to record all my games.

All you have to do is:

1) Go to any of the above games and click on one.
2) Torwards the bottom of the replayer screen you will see the word "Chess Tempo". Click on the tiny icon next to the word.
3) Another window opens. In the top right in green you will see the words "Game Uploader". Click on that.
4) Now you see another window with the words "Please use the form below to upload a PGN: "
5) Paste your PGN game from Chessbase into the form and then at the bottom of the Form, click on the "Insert" button.
6) Now lastly at the bottom of the screen that opened after you clicked "Insert", you will see the following the words "If you just need the link to the game, this is it:" and below that you see the link text.
7) Drag your mouse over the Link text and copy and paste it into a Hiarcs post as a URL just like I am doing now:

http://chess.tuxtown.net/game-replayer. ... 1efef86e2c

The above example is the Division 4 Round 15 game between Mephisto Almeria against Novag Scorpio.

That is all there is to it. It takes about 30 seconds to do all that.

Also thanks for enjoying my bit of silliness :)

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

that's a nice tool! Especially for the Hiarcs Board with it's missing chess game presentation functionality extremely useful...

Regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Nick,

that's a nice tool! Especially for the Hiarcs Board with it's missing chess game presentation functionality extremely useful...

Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

Yes, this replayer with its autoplayer is extremely useful. Pity there isn't one as easy to use as this one with also a built engine for analysis. That would then be even more helpful for people and see the mistakes or good moves quickly and easily at the same time.

Don't know if you know of a tool like this one that could do this, for a Forum Post.

Looking continuously for improvements...regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,
spacious_mind wrote:

Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

Yes, this replayer with its autoplayer is extremely useful. Pity there isn't one as easy to use as this one with also a built engine for analysis. That would then be even more helpful for people and see the mistakes or good moves quickly and easily at the same time.

Don't know if you know of a tool like this one that could do this, for a Forum Post.

of course I know! :lol:

It's called......tata.....Lichess!!

With the >Tools>Import Game function it's possible - look here with your game's pgn of three posts before:

https://lichess.org/63Ngji9F

Regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

spacious_mind wrote:

Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

of course I know! :lol:

It's called......tata.....Lichess!!

With the >Tools>Import Game function it's possible - look here with your game's pgn of three posts before:

https://lichess.org/63Ngji9F

Regards, Michael
Yes, I know, I avoided Lichess initially because I was not sure if you can see it if you are not a member. A non member might have to try clicking on the link.

The analysis great though. The chessboard is a little bit too big for my liking and it takes a little longer to load the tab.

https://lichess.org/py9Vl4OL#0

But you are right its tools are great assuming non-members can see it!

The other unknown is for both replayers, I wonder how long these games are kept? It would be quite unfortunate if 3 years from now its all gone and you can't replay them.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Ps... Michael, click on the link I just posted if you are around! I am curious if you can see more spectators looking at a game at the same time!!

Best regards

Nick
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

it's possible!

Regards Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

it's possible!

Regards Michael
Yes I see you there. The only thing I don't know for sure is if NON-Lichess members can use the replay tool without having to register with Lichess?

regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

logged out and it's still working...

Regards Michael