If not a Fidelity Designer mach 4 - What?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Celadus

If not a Fidelity Designer mach 4 - What?

Post by Celadus »

I was going to search for a Fidelity designer mach 4 because of the hash tables and the attacking style of this program.
But on reflection I decided no. Firstly it is difficult to find and secondly Fidelity products may lack quality control integrity. But most of all I dislike the no save a game in progress option. And compared to others implementing options can be laborious.

What would you chose as an alternative to the designer mach 4?
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: If not a Fidelity Designer mach 4 - What?

Post by Steve B »

Celadus wrote:secondly Fidelity products may lack quality control integrity.
you might be over thinking this
i have all of the Excel and Designer Mach computers since they were released for sale and have never had a problem with any one them
actually the only Fidelity computers that i have had issues with are the wooden Auto-sensory boards(EAS and EAG)..the reed switches go bad on a weekly basis

but the Plastic Mach's??

Solid As A Rock Regards
Steve
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

Steve B wrote:
Celadus wrote:secondly Fidelity products may lack quality control integrity.
you might be over thinking this
i have all of the Excel and Designer Mach computers since they were released for sale and have never had a problem with any one them
actually the only Fidelity computers that i have had issues with are the wooden Auto-sensory boards(EAS and EAG)..the reed switches go bad on a weekly basis

but the Plastic Mach's??

Solid As A Rock Regards
Steve
No save game in progress option.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

This is right:
but the Plastic Mach's??

Solid As A Rock Regards
Steve
This is accurate:
Yes, that last bit is a pain - but the Mach IV is still worth it. A great player.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

The 'no-save' factor has been a deal-breaker for me. I love everything else about my Designer Mach III, but it doesn't get played that much because I'm a slow player, often can't spend 1-2 hours playing at one sitting and, thus, want to play a game over a day or two.

What Were They Thinking Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:often can't spend 1-2 hours playing at one sitting and, thus, want to play a game over a day or two.
i cant spend hours over a game anymore either
nothing to do with save features..just no patience anymore
the "work around" for the lack of a save option in the Mach series is simple and the reason God created ....

Blitz Games Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:
SirDave wrote:often can't spend 1-2 hours playing at one sitting and, thus, want to play a game over a day or two.
i cant spend hours over a game anymore either
nothing to do with save features..just no patience anymore
the "work around" for the lack of a save option in the Mach series is simple and the reason God created ....

Blitz Games Regards
Steve
My brain used to have a Blitz option, but I seem to have misplaced it.

Along With Other Elements Of Higher Functioning Regards,
Dave
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

Reinfeld wrote:This is right:
but the Plastic Mach's??

Solid As A Rock Regards
Steve
This is accurate:
Yes, that last bit is a pain - but the Mach IV is still worth it. A great player.

- R.
What would you chose as an alternative to the Mach 4?
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Celadus wrote: What would you chose as an alternative to the Mach 4?
If it has to be a Fidelity or a Spracklen, then you have not much choice, or try to get the also hard to find Saitek Sparc module.

If it could be another brand or programmer, then you could think of a Schroeder, the Koning or Morsch (or even a Kittinger ;-)).

Without hashtables the Mephisto Milano Pro/Master Chess is a great and relatively very cheap alternative of the same strength.

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

paulwise3 wrote:
Celadus wrote: What would you chose as an alternative to the Mach 4?
If it has to be a Fidelity or a Spracklen, then you have not much choice, or try to get the also hard to find Saitek Sparc module.

If it could be another brand or programmer, then you could think of a Schroeder, the Koning or Morsch (or even a Kittinger ;-)).

Without hashtables the Mephisto Milano Pro/Master Chess is a great and relatively very cheap alternative of the same strength.

Best regards, Paul
Thank you for your comments Paul
mclane

Post by mclane »

Celadus wrote:I was going to search for a Fidelity designer mach 4 because of the hash tables and the attacking style of this program.
But on reflection I decided no. Firstly it is difficult to find and secondly Fidelity products may lack quality control integrity. But most of all I dislike the no save a game in progress option. And compared to others implementing options can be laborious.

What would you chose as an alternative to the designer mach 4?
Why not try the sphinx 40 ?? It plays very human alike.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Re alternatives to Fidelity Mach IV: As others have suggested, the Mephisto Master (aka Milano Pro) is a nasty player, very strong, widely available and reasonably priced. The Novag Star Diamond is harder to find, but a wonderful opponent, stronger than Mach IV.

You might also consider a straight-up Mephisto Milano, with the Schroder program. Surprisingly strong. But you won't find anything from the Spracklens that meets your need, unless you're going to dig for something very hard to find.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells