High Performer Chess Computer Tournament

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
blaubaer

High Performer Chess Computer Tournament

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

is someone interested in a chess computer tournament with the strongest machines we have, let's say with all devices above 2200 ELO, taking the schachcomputer.info ELO list into account?

I would organize that tournament in a format similar to this and collect all games with the help of Lichess.org like this, means that we use Lichess.org as our chess server.

Depending on the number of participants we would play in round robin or Swiss format mode. Time period would be from several weeks to several months depending on the number of participants. Time control mode is 30sec/move.

Regards, Michael
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Michael,

I am interested. The only two above 2200 I have are de MCG and the MCG Pro, so I would like to play with the MCG Pro this time ;-)

PS: I have no experience with Lichess.org, is it a realtime interface?

See you in Klingenberg regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Paul,
paulwise3 wrote: I am interested. The only two above 2200 I have are de MCG and the MCG Pro, so I would like to play with the MCG Pro this time ;-)
ok! MCG Pro will be a favorite!
paulwise3 wrote: PS: I have no experience with Lichess.org, is it a realtime interface?
Yes, Lichess.org is a realtime interface - it is a nice, modern web application with lots of features, Android app, you can take moves back (until the beginning, if necessary), but the biggest advantage is, that you don't have any game abortions due to internet communication problems. And it's for free. Register and try it out! Some features are a bit hidden...

We will use the standard, unrated and unlimited mode. - That's the correspondence mode...
paulwise3 wrote: See you in Klingenberg
Only two days left! :wink:

Regards, Michael
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Hello,

I am 4.9. I am a newbie, very new.

I have a Fidelity Mach4-50 MHz that is probably just good enough.

However, I went on this Lichess and found it to be like many other websites:

It is very easy to use: that is, if you already know how to use.

But, a first time user, can get very frustated....a primer would help.

Best of luck with tournament

blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi 4.9,

the Fidelity Mach IV seems a little weak with ELO 2123 for the 20MHz version; related to 50 MHz I have no glue for the ELO value...

In a later post you'll get a basic introduction on Lichess!

Regards, Michael
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Michael,

I'd like to participate, I can supply any 68030 TM machine or any of the Revelation II Engines on the list.

Like others I've never used Lichess or anything similar.

I just missed out on a Klingenburg place, I would have bought along my Milano Pro or Senator (I can't remember which machine wasn't already present)

Cheers,

Al.
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Hi Michael,

Well if I don't make it in: have a great tournament

Just a response to elo 2123 for 20 MHz:

You should follow my Mach4-33 vs. Star Diamond match on Hiarcs, to see how the 33 MHz plays.
And the 50 MHz? It's a bit stronger. I know because of a 20 game match I played against Atlanta (if there is interest, I will post those results in the future)

Oh and that 2162 number? Take it with a grain of salt.
Isn't that the same rating list that has a 10 MHz H8 RS2250XL, 2 points higher than the 16MHz H8 Cougar/Explorer Pro???

If you believe that, I have a nice wall in the SW of the US that I can let you have for cheap!

Good luck with tournament
spacious_mind

Re: High Performer Chess Computer Tournament

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,

is someone interested in a chess computer tournament with the strongest machines we have, let's say with all devices above 2200 ELO, taking the schachcomputer.info ELO list into account?

I would organize that tournament in a format similar to this and collect all games with the help of Lichess.org like this, means that we use Lichess.org as our chess server.

Depending on the number of participants we would play in round robin or Swiss format mode. Time period would be from several weeks to several months depending on the number of participants. Time control mode is 30sec/move.

Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

Can you clarify what you mean with devices? I am assuming with your careful wording that this tournament is not limited to dedicated chess computers but you are limiting to not below 2200 and not over 2405?

Can you clarify please what can be entered.

Best regards
Nick
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Hi Michael,

Found on Aktivschach, the 12 Online WM:

the 50 MHz Mach4 scored a performance of 2171 in a 9 round Swiss, which dropped its "overall" rating to 2180. (I am guessing that's what the 2180 stands for).

Perhaps it is a bit low for your tournament.

Curiously in the 13 WM, a stock Excel Mach 4 (20 MHz) is scoring 2264 after 6 rounds!

Go figure. You win some, you lose some.

blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

@Nick: Right, chess computers on the "12st Aktivschach Elo List" above Elo 2200 - the Elo maximum on the list is 2405 - means all chess computers between Elo 2200 and Elo 2405 that are listed.

@4.9: Let's wait for further announcements - we can talk about exceptions afterwards...

@Al: I would take the strongest chess computer you have....

Regards, Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

here you can find a short introduction to Lichess.org:

- register with user name, password and email
- post your Lichess username here
- sign in
- click >COMMUNITY>Players and search for user names of tournament participants
- click user name and click follow
- fix a date for a match with your opponent according to the tournament plan blaubaer will provide
- in the lower right corner of Lichess you can find online friends
- move mouse arrow over user name and click crossed swords/Play
- choose Variant "Standard", Time control "Unlimited", "Casual" and black or white
- your opponent accepts
- on the left you can chat with your opponent
- on the right you can click two arrows to flip the board, the cross to abort game (only at start up), the hand to offer draw and the flag to resign (click twice!)
- always end a game by checkmate, draw or resign, otherwise you cannot download the game's pgn
- by proposing a takeback, clicking left arrow, you can takeback moves
- after checkmate, resign or draw you can switch to Analysis board, click FEN&PGN and download PGN
- spectators can observe the game by moving the mouse arrow over opponent's user name and clicking the TV symbol/Watch games
- spectators can chat with other spectators and can send messages to the opponents by clicking the speech balloon when moving the mouse arrow over the user name
- check other functions like game analysis, study etc.
- have fun!

Regards, Michael
mipo69

Teilnahme

Post by mipo69 »

Dear all,

At the moment I'm playing on Lichess and participate the tournament of Mephisto Emulations, organized by Michael.

The online platform has been designed proper - good overview !! :D

I would like to participate here as well ...but only starting May/ June (Business wise)

Cheers

Michael
Dave C

High End Competition

Post by Dave C »

Hi Mike,

I would also like to play in this competition, pending scheduling conflicts.

Best regards,
Dave
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Dave,

which chess computer will you choose?

Regards Michael
Dave C

Which Chess Computer to Use

Post by Dave C »

Hi Michael - Do you have a timeframe in mind for the tournament? I will be out of town the last two weeks of April into the first week of May. If that conflicts with the tournament then I will have to wait for the next tournament. But, if I can play I would like to use a TASC R30-2.5.

Competition.... regards,
Dave