TASC B/V Collection

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Sorry forgot to say... so Reflection Module has become a Dedicated Chess Programs Simulator ?

Best regards
I had to laugh when i saw this
you dont consider the Reflection module as a genuine dedicated chess computer ...but...you do count the Chess Card as one

lol

This Is Getting Goofy Nick Regards
Hi Steve,

You just don't know the Chesscards :) You can't speed them up. You can't play other things with them. They are useless for anything else other than play the exact chess programs of Johan de Koening or Ed Schroeder that were distributed by TASC B/V with them when they sold the Chesscards. No speeding up or slowing down, you get with them what was officially sold by Tasc.

That to me makes them much more dedicated if you are talking about originality. :)

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Sorry forgot to say... so Reflection Module has become a Dedicated Chess Programs Simulator ?

Best regards
you dont consider the Reflection module as a genuine dedicated chess computer ...but...you do count the Chess Card as one

lol

Hi Steve,

You just don't know the Chesscards :) You can't speed them up. You can't play other things with them. They are useless for anything else other than play the exact chess programs of Johan de Koening or Ed Schroeder that were distributed by TASC B/V with them when they sold the Chesscards. No speeding up or slowing down, you get with them what was officially sold by Tasc.

That to me makes them much more dedicated if you are talking about originality. :)

Best regards
Nick
the fact that a chess computer can be speeded up is simply a nice modern feature for a dedicated chess computer
it dosent disqualify it from being a dedicated computer
again...a dedicated chess computer is one that can only play chess
that what dedicated means
it does not mean originality or anything like that
i know you want to define it in your own terms and as i said thats fine by me...
but it certainly dosent define it for me or anyone else
you can have the last word (as usual)

Shaking My Head Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Best regards

lol

Hi Steve,

Best regards
Nick
the fact that a chess computer can be speeded up is simply a nice modern feature for a dedicated chess computer
it dosent disqualify it from being a dedicated computer
again...a dedicated chess computer is one that can only play chess
that what dedicated means
it does not mean originality or anything like that
i know you want to define it in your own terms and as i said thats fine by me...
but it certainly dosent define it for me or anyone else
you can have the last word (as usual)

Shaking My Head Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

What is wrong with being a Simulator? Why are you fighting for something that is not even a detraction on anything? I am just calling them exactly what they are. If you have a Revelation for example that plays the Lang ROMs through an emulation in order to work in an ARM processor at its full emulated ARM processor speed, then its a dedicated chess computer because you can't slow it down and try to simulate some other program ie.. a 68,020 with 10 MHz.

Once you have the ability to do that, it becomes a simulator because you then try to simulate a speed that you hope closely matches some other program. The naming is correct. Reflection is a Dedicated Programs Simulator.

An emulator is something different it tries to emulate an original program correctly ie... emulate them.... once you put a speed slider on it then it also becomes something that tries to simulate other programs ie... its own unique speed slows down to approximate a 68,020 for example. It tries to simulate another ROM. Ruud's ROM's as far as I remember were 68,000 anything else it does with a Reflection is a simulation.

To me the distinction becomes especially important when it comes to Mephisto because you do have the programs at 68,000, 68,020 and 68,030 roms and different MHz speeds. When you start having a slider to slow down a Reflection you are now going into the area of trying to simulate (not emulate because you can't emulate them accurately to nth degree so you simulate as close as you can.

A Revelation is a dedicated computer it allowed the programs to play at a full speed consistent across all models, you couldn't slow down to try to simulate something else. Revelation never tried to profess that it is a 68,030 or a 68,020, it did however try to approximately compare to them with estimated MHz compare speeds. Hence they are also listed correctly as for example Revelation Lyon and not Revelation Lyon 68,030.

This is my opinion of calling these dedicated simulators because that is what they have become.

If you are trying to argue a case for Reflection then you should under your same definition accept Gavon for example. And I am fine with that too.

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

that's the way, aha, aha, I like it, aha, aha....or not? Whatever....

I own a TASC 512kb Chessmachine - this funny little thing I like a lot...

Is it a dedicated chess computer? At least, it's a dedicated chess card, a dedicated chess module - and together with my old 486 or Pentium pc (I'm in doubt) with necessary ISA slot, it's - - - - not a dedicated chess computer - Why? - Because there's some other DOS and Windows stuff on that computer...

What would happen, if I throw away all that other DOS and Windows stuff besides the Chessmachine software? Would that change it into a dedicated chess computer? ---- Yeeees!

Next statement: Gavon is a dedicated chess computer - no other stuff on that RPi or Odroid single board computer besides the Gavon software... - same with Picochess!

And my Mysticum?? Yes, of course... :lol:

What can I say, I like all that different chess devices, with and without speed slider, even a good old wooden board with wooden chessmen without any electronics, a real dedicated chess board... :P :wink:

Just my two cents, not so serious and no plastics regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote: What can I say, I like all that different chess devices, with and without speed slider, even a good old wooden board with wooden chessmen without any electronics, a real dedicated chess board... :P :wink:

Just my two cents, not so serious and no plastics regards, Michael
Ah, so in your eyes plastics are not dedicated ? :)

Of course everything is dedicated to chess. I think that the root problem to begin with is the word dedicated is being used to interpret different things. And, of course everything is a computer so the word computer attached to it makes ie even worse when it comes to agreeing on anything.

Dedicated Chess Computer = ROM's (programs) originating from an original chess game manufacturer's board?

Dedicated Chess Computer = a computer dedicated to playing chess (this encompasses everything)?

Dedicated Chess Computer = Electronic chess game.

Dedicated Chess Computer = Electronic chess game but excludes 4 in 1 computers

Dedicated Chess Computer = Includes some external attachments be it visual aids or move aids, but not all the time.

Dedicated Chess Computer = Excludes all attachments.

and so it goes on and on in interpretations.

So now you have confusion and never agreement on anything, and so it has been forever :)

voting to abolish the word dedicated from the dictionary....

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

one thing is irrevocable: We are dedicated to chess computers! This, I think, we can all agree upon...

Did you ever count your Bankers Boxes eh... chess computers?

I always thought that Karsten Bauermeister has the largest collection in the world - You can download his list from the web! - About 800 chess computers and they are all for sale!!

Nick, this would add one third to your collection.... :P

See here Carsten's idea to store his chess computers:

Overwelmed regards, Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

A picture of Carsten next to the Turk!

Regards, Michael
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote: Image

Actually that display set up is in Karsten's mothers house
not his house
I think mothers are more sympathetic to displaying dedicated chess computers then wives are

A Mother Always See's The Best In Her Son Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

I Always Thought On Marrying My Mother Regards, Oedipus :roll:
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Nick,

one thing is irrevocable: We are dedicated to chess computers! This, I think, we can all agree upon...

Did you ever count your Bankers Boxes eh... chess computers?

I always thought that Karsten Bauermeister has the largest collection in the world - You can download his list from the web! - About 800 chess computers and they are all for sale!!

Nick, this would add one third to your collection.... :P

Hi Michael,

How Karsten displayed his prized computers is most impressive. I could not do it however, and I think he had problems too ;) If you count the computers on his shelves he has about 70 on the shelves with maybe 50 in the glass display. To display his complete collection he would need maybe 6 times that space :) In other words it would take over a lot of space in a house so he must have had another storage somewhere too.

I have cats so I could never do what Karsten did with his impressive display. My cats would be in heaven if they ever got in this room :)

Yes, Karsten did have lot of computers and for many years he kept a most complete list. I bought my TM Vancouver and a few other things such as some chesscards that I had missing to complete my collection of them.

What does make his list a little hard to follow is that he showed a lot of doubles which when I went through it closely looking to see what I would like to buy, there was not so much in the end that I had missing. For example Novag.. If you remove doubles then I counted 76 in his collection that I would list as singles.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
not his house
I think mothers are more sympathetic to displaying dedicated chess computers then wives are

Steve
Ah, that explains who would be doing all the dusting and keeping the shelves clean! LOL

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
not his house

Steve
Ah, that explains who would be doing all the dusting and keeping the shelves clean! LOL

Best regards
Another thing to note about Karstens collection
he does not have the original boxes for many of his computers
I once discussed this with him and his philosophy about that was
and I quote...
"I collect schachcomputers..not boxes"

personally ..I dont consider a model as completely acquired until I have the original box,manual,pieces and any auxiliary items(modules,printers,clocks..etc.etc.) for each model I own
owning the original boxes has the added benefit of making storing the computers a snap

XXX Hardcore Collecting Regards
Steve