K-Chess Elite 4

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

K-Chess Elite 4

Post by Fernando »

Who know something about this program, beyond what is said in the author web site?
It is said it coms from turbo ches, but, what turbo chess?
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: K-Chess Elite 4

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:Who know something about this program, beyond what is said in the author web site?
I seem to remember this program from many years ago. It was from
an Australian author, and quite weak. It does come complete with an
interface. Out of curiosity I downloaded it only to discover it was an
evaluation copy, meaning it's only free for a little while. Strangely, the
voice was female for white and male for black. I set up a position for
it to analyze, and found it to be a slow searcher.
I can only give it the thumbs down.
L
Martin Hertz

Post by Martin Hertz »

The K-Chess engine is a modified Turbo-Chess version. Turbo-Chess is an didactic chess program in
Turbo Pascal 3.0 from 1985, that comes with the book Turbo GameWorks from Borland. Turbo-Chess is
not that bad, but the evaluation is very simple. It can be a challenge at very high speeds. I havn't
tested K-Chess, because I'm much more interested in DOS chess programs.

Fernando, you are a much better chess player than me, so allow me a question regarding the very old
16 bit programs (programs that work on 8086 or 80286): Is there a program with a human like or special
playing style? My experiences shows, that Chess Player 2150 can be a candidate, but what is your experience?
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Martin Hertz wrote:The K-Chess engine is a modified Turbo-Chess version. Turbo-Chess is an didactic chess program in
Turbo Pascal 3.0 from 1985, that comes with the book Turbo GameWorks from Borland. Turbo-Chess is
not that bad, but the evaluation is very simple. It can be a challenge at very high speeds. I havn't

Fernando, you are a much better chess player than me, so allow me a question regarding the very old
16 bit programs (programs that work on 8086 or 80286): Is there a program with a human like or special
playing style? My experiences shows, that Chess Player 2150 can be a candidate, but what is your experience?
Martin:
I cannot be a better player than you because I am a lousy player myself. Respect your question, my experience is that the nearest thing to human play is any Wittintong program. that includes CP2150, CP2175, Complete Chess system, all of these available for dos in many abandon ware sites and specially Chess system tal I and II.
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:
Fernando wrote:Who know something about this program, beyond what is said in the author web site?
I seem to remember this program from many years ago. It was from
an Australian author, and quite weak. It does come complete with an
interface. Out of curiosity I downloaded it only to discover it was an
evaluation copy, meaning it's only free for a little while. Strangely, the
voice was female for white and male for black. I set up a position for
it to analyze, and found it to be a slow searcher.
I can only give it the thumbs down.
L
The K-chess elite 4 I have tested does not look to me weak at all, or perhaps I have became very weak...
Festina Lente
Martin Hertz

Post by Martin Hertz »

Thanks for your opinion. I have all the Whittigton programs except of CP2175, because I cannot find the
DOS version. The next question is, if it still works at GHz speed. I would be grateful, if you have any
source for CP2175 DOS.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

need your mail address
Festina Lente
Martin Hertz

Post by Martin Hertz »

I've send you a PM.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Fernando wrote:
Martin Hertz wrote:The K-Chess engine is a modified Turbo-Chess version. Turbo-Chess is an didactic chess program in

Martin:
I cannot be a better player than you because I am a lousy player myself. Respect your question, my experience is that the nearest thing to human play is any Wittintong program. that includes CP2150, CP2175, Complete Chess system, all of these available for dos in many abandon ware sites and specially Chess system tal I and II.

Exactly. Made to play human like.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

In an IDC interview with Fernando Villegas, Rob McDonell mentions Borland's Turbo Chess, which was written by Kaare Danielsen.

http://www.arkangles.com/kchess/review1.html
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
In an IDC interview with Fernando Villegas, Rob McDonell mentions Borland's Turbo Chess, which was written by Kaare Danielsen.

http://www.arkangles.com/kchess/review1.html
HHahahaha I had forgot that interview. Many years ago.
Festina Lente