Sargon 3 and book

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fhub

Post by fhub »

spacious_mind wrote: U.S. protection against Russian hackers maybe if it works for you LOL...?
Well, I'm an Austrian hacker, not a Russian. :mrgreen:

And what about the SolidFiles link? Does this one work?
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:Ok, here's another trial at SolidFiles - maybe this one works for you:
https://www.solidfiles.com/v/4AWX6nV5YAw3v
(use the blue button/bar 'Download' BELOW the filename, NOT the green button 'Download now' right of the filename!)

Franz
Man, ALL of these sites ask inscription. It is not matter of a crap browser, but a matter not to inscribe in just any site.
Ok, forget it...
Thanks anyway because you tried...

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: U.S. protection against Russian hackers maybe if it works for you LOL...?
Well, I'm an Austrian hacker, not a Russian. :mrgreen:

And what about the SolidFiles link? Does this one work?
It goes nuts too. You should download Dropbox its a lot easier to share with friends.

Best regards
Nick
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: Man, ALL of these sites ask inscription. It is not matter of a crap browser, but a matter not to inscribe in just any site.
It IS a matter of a crappy browser (or OS or maybe of your country) -
I've uploaded my CB-Emu packages and updates many dozens of times at ZippyShare, and hundreds of users have downloaded it from there,
but not a single one of them has ever reported any of such problems.
So the problems are definitely on your side ...

Franz
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:
Fernando wrote: Man, ALL of these sites ask inscription. It is not matter of a crap browser, but a matter not to inscribe in just any site.
I've uploaded my CB-Emu packages and updates many dozens of times at ZippyShare, and hundreds of users have downloaded it from there,
but not a single one of them has ever reported any of such problems.

Franz
Well, Franz, no need to become angry involving even my country as If i was living in Liberia or Cameroon. I do not doubt of what you say, but it is my policy NOT to get into one place after another. No problem in my side, exception made of myself and my policy, but that is not a problem either, no harm for me and none for you.
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
I've uploaded my CB-Emu packages and updates many dozens of time at ZippyShare, and hundreds of users have downloaded it from there, but not a single one of them has ever reported any of such problems.

Franz
I know it probably is. But you have to respect the Browser protection Avast goes immediately red and tells you it is unsafe. I have too many nice things on my computer to have to start worrying about spyware and other stuff loading at the same time as an unregistered user and clogging up my memory and slowing everything down, regardless if it is virus free.

Best regards
Nick
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: Well, Franz, no need to become angry involving even my country as If i was living in Liberia or Cameroon.
Of course I'm not angry, and I mentioned your country only because it might be, that Zippyshare handles different countries (of the one trying to download) in different ways: maybe it ask for registration (or adds any adware) only for specific countries?

I just saw that you have an email button (gmail) in your postings - if you want (and if this address is still ok) I could send you the file also via email!?

Franz
fhub

Post by fhub »

spacious_mind wrote: But you have to respect the Browser protection ...
No, you do NOT have to respect this!
Do YOU own your computer, or is your browser the boss?

At least I want to do on my computer what I want, but not what my browser, OS or any AV software wants to do (or let me do).

Another question: are you maybe a member of the German 'Schachcomputer.info' forum? In this forum I could send you a PM with Sargon3 as attachment.

Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: But you have to respect the Browser protection ...
No, you do NOT have to respect this!
Do YOU own your computer, or is your browser the boss?

At least I want to do on my computer what I want, but not what my browser, OS or any AV software wants to do (or let me do).

Another question: are you maybe a member of the German 'Schachcomputer.info' forum? In this forum I could send you a PM with Sargon3 as attachment.

Franz
For me nowadays the Browser and Avast is the boss :P Of course I am at Schachcomputer.Info and I read your posts. I just don't have time nowadays to post in many places. Because I am sure as you know to Post means that you also have to reply to posts and that can become too much if you also want to have the spare time to play with your hobby. And since English grammatically is a lot easier for me than German grammatically over the last few years, I am becoming lazier and lazier therefore Hiarcs is faster and easier for me.

If you are sending it there I can log in and load it or you can also email it to Nick at my website dot com. Whatever you prefer.

And welcome btw to Hiarcs

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:
Fernando wrote: Well, Franz, no need to become angry involving even my country as If i was living in Liberia or Cameroon.
Of course I'm not angry, and I mentioned your country only because it might be, that Zippyshare handles different countries (of the one trying to download) in different ways: maybe it ask for registration (or adds any adware) only for specific countries?

I just saw that you have an email button (gmail) in your postings - if you want (and if this address is still ok) I could send you the file also via email!?

Franz
yes, please... if ever you need something for me, though I am not the richest man here in stock of programs, just let me know.
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

Ok, I've now sent it to Nick via email.

I also tried to send it to Fernando, but I got a 'Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender', so maybe Nick should send his copy to Fernando - I don't know what else I could do.
I guess Gmail is refusing all kinds of executable attachments!?

Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:Ok, I've now sent it to Nick via email.

I also tried to send it to Fernando, but I got a 'Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender', so maybe Nick should send his copy to Fernando - I don't know what else I could do.
I guess Gmail is refusing all kinds of executable attachments!?

Franz
Hi Franz,

Thanks I will send it to him. Yes Fernando's email that he shows here doesn't work :)

He needs to correct it sometime... or he is being devious :)

Best regards
Nick
fhub

Post by fhub »

spacious_mind wrote: Yes Fernando's email that he shows here doesn't work :)
Well, I think his email address is ok, but IIRC I've read anywhere that Gmail doesn't accept attachments containing any kind of executable files.
Now that's again almost the same problem as with your AV software: the mail provider decides what you get without even asking you - what a cracy world!

Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
Tibono2 wrote: A smarter crack would be necessary.
Well, I have one! ;)

I've cracked Sargon3 a few years ago and used a quite clever method to allow also the book usage: I've put all files into a disk image which is loaded into RAM and wrote an new program loader, so whenever Sargon3 tries to access its floppy disk it just gets the file(s) directly from the RAM.

My version works in DOS (without EMM386), in Windows upto WinXP, and also in DOS-Box (but here of course with reduced speed due to DOS-Box limitations) -
no floppy disk or image needed.
All function are working, with one exception: saving and loading games don't work, because this would indeed need a floppy drive (the program asks for changing the program disk, but of course there is no such disk in my RAM image).

If anyone wants my Sargon3 version - just let me know and I'll upload it ...

Regards,
Franz
Hi Franz,

Did you also change the screen on it? Or were there two versions of Sargon 3 sold? Just wondering because you version looks different to mine.

Here is the Version I have:

In this version you have to press the ESC button to switch to and from chessboard.

Your version is all in one screen and no ESC for full board. This version is actually more convenient since you can see the board and move list at the same time.

I just tried a game with DOSBox Dynamic and Max settings with Sargon 3 against Turbo-Chess. I am going to have to start naming your version as Sargon 3 Plus.

[Event "Computer Test Match"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2017"]
[Round "2"]
[White "DB Sargon 3, 30S AV.."]
[Black "DB Turbo Chess, 30S AV.."]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "C54"]
[WhiteElo "2000"]
[BlackElo "2100"]
[Annotator "SM"]
[PlyCount "106"]
[EventDate "2017"]
[EventType "match"]
[EventRounds "2"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. cxd4 Bb4+ 7. Bd2 Bxd2+ 8. Nbxd2 d5 9. exd5 Nxd5 10. Qb3 Nce7 11. O-O O-O 12. Rfe1 c6 13. a4 Qb6 14. a5 {DB Turbo Chess out of book} Qxb3 15. Nxb3 Rd8 {DB Sargon 3 out of book} 16. Nbd2 Bf5 17. Ne4 Rab8 18. Ng3 Bg6 19. Ne5 Nb4 20. Ra4 Nc2 21. Nxf7 Bxf7 22. Rxe7 Bxc4 23. Rxc4 Nxd4 24. Kf1 Kf8 25. Re5 Nb3 26. Rf4+ Kg8 27. Nf5 Rd1+ 28. Ke2 Rb1 29. Ne7+ Kh8 30. Rh5 h6 31. a6 Rxb2+ 32. Kf3 Nc1 33. axb7 Nd3 34. Rd4 Nxf2 35. Nxc6 R8xb7 36. Rhd5 R7b3+ 37. Kf4 a6 38. Rd7 Re2 39. h4 Rbe3 40. Rd2 Rxd2 41. Rxd2 Re4+ 42. Kf5 Re8 43. Ra2 Rf8+ 44. Ke5 Rf6 45. Rxa6 Rg6 46. Kf4 Nd3+ 47. Ke3 Nc5 48. Ra8+ Kh7 49. Ne5 Rxg2 50. Ra7 Rh2 51. Nf3 Rb2 52. Nd4 Rb7
53. Rxb7 Nxb7 1/2-1/2

Final Position

[fen]8/1n4pk/7p/8/3N3P/4K3/8/8 w - - 0 54[/fen]

I am not even sure if your version is the same chess program as the other version?

Best regards
Nick
fhub

Post by fhub »

Hi Nick!
spacious_mind wrote: Did you also change the screen on it? Or were there two versions of Sargon 3 sold? Just wondering because you version looks different to mine.
No, of course I've not changed such things like features or its appearance.
But changing between text and graphic mode in Sargon3 works only when you are in '40 COL Color' mode, so you first have to switch to this mode before <ESC> toggles between text and graphics.
To change the mode use the key <?> (this shows the settings menu), now press <L> to switch to '40 COL Color' mode, and after exiting with <ESC> you can switch between text and graphic screen as usual with the <ESC> key.

Regards,
Franz