Sargon 3 and book

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Sargon 3 and book

Post by Fernando »

Who knows how to make the book of sargon 3 to work from D_fend?

Fern
Festina Lente
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi Fernando,
no way with this DOS program.
I remember to have read somewhere Sargon III for DOS was copy protected with a homemade access routine to disk ; and this easy-to-find-on-the-net cracked version simply disabled any disk access capability within the program, to avoid the original disk being required. That is why despite the book file being present in your directory, it cannot be loaded.
A smarter crack would be necessary.
Tibono
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

perhaps some savvy guy could create a routine for the program to search in a file kept in the PC. ....

The other way: to develop patience to wait Sargon thinking from move 1.
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

Tibono2 wrote: A smarter crack would be necessary.
Well, I have one! ;)

I've cracked Sargon3 a few years ago and used a quite clever method to allow also the book usage: I've put all files into a disk image which is loaded into RAM and wrote an new program loader, so whenever Sargon3 tries to access its floppy disk it just gets the file(s) directly from the RAM.

My version works in DOS (without EMM386), in Windows upto WinXP, and also in DOS-Box (but here of course with reduced speed due to DOS-Box limitations) -
no floppy disk or image needed.
All function are working, with one exception: saving and loading games don't work, because this would indeed need a floppy drive (the program asks for changing the program disk, but of course there is no such disk in my RAM image).

If anyone wants my Sargon3 version - just let me know and I'll upload it ...

Regards,
Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
Well, I have one! ;)

I've cracked Sargon3 a few years ago and used a quite clever method to allow also the book usage: I've put all files into a disk image which is loaded into RAM and wrote an new program loader, so whenever Sargon3 tries to access its floppy disk it just gets the file(s) directly from the RAM.

My version works in DOS (without EMM386), in Windows upto WinXP, and also in DOS-Box (but here of course with reduced speed due to DOS-Box limitations) -
All function are working, with one exception: saving and loading games don't work, because this would indeed need a floppy drive (the program asks for changing the program disk, but of course there is no such disk in my RAM image).

Regards,
Franz

Hi Franz,
Yes please share it. It would be interesting to see the book difference.
regards
Nick
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:
Well, I have one! ;)

Regards,
Franz
I want it too.......

from a dumb to a clever man regards
Fern
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

spacious_mind wrote: Yes please share it. It would be interesting to see the book difference.
Ok Nick, here's my Sargon3 package:
http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/57ckUiB0/file.html

The textfile 'Sargon3.txt' contains a list of all function keys.
The start graphics disappears automatically after a few seconds, or you can abort it earlier by pressing the <Enter> key - starting the program with the option -g (i.e. 'Sargon3 -g') skips this start screen.

Franz
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: I want it too.......
Well Fernando, although you don't like my CB-Emu, I hope you'll at least enjoy my Sargon3 'resurrection'! :D

Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: Yes please share it. It would be interesting to see the book difference.

The start graphics disappears automatically after a few seconds, or you can abort it earlier by pressing the <Enter> key - starting the program with the option -g (i.e. 'Sargon3 -g') skips this start screen.

Franz
Hi Franz,

Nervous about the download link it seems it might want to install some Adobe stuff at the same time.

Do you have a Dropbox share?

Regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:

Franz
could you send it via Dropbox? The site you use ask for a reggistration and as a matter of policy I do not go into that, ever.
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

spacious_mind wrote: Nervous about the download link it seems it might want to install some Adobe stuff at the same time.

No, sorry, I'm always using ZippyShare and have never had any problems.
I've deactivated JavaScript by default in my browser, so I usually don't get any of those additional adware popups from filesharing sites.
Can't you just click away these Adobe install requests?

I don't see any possibility here to attach files to a posting, else I would simply have attached it (it's quite small).

BTW, I forgot to mention, that you can run this Sargon3 even in modern Windows versions in text mode, if you start it with 'Sargon -g'.

Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: Nervous about the download link it seems it might want to install some Adobe stuff at the same time.

No, sorry, I'm always using ZippyShare and have never had any problems.
I've deactivated JavaScript by default in my browser, so I usually don't get any of those additional adware popups from filesharing sites.
Can't you just click away these Adobe install requests?

I don't any possibility here to attach files to a posting, else I would simply have attached it (it's quite small).

BTW, I forgot to mention, that you can run this Sargon3 even in modern Windows versions in text mode, if you start it with 'Sargon -g'.

Franz
Ok thanks, will try to load it later off a computer that I am not so concerned about regarding junkware.

Will share it later with you Fernando.

Regards
Nick
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: could you send it via Dropbox? The site you use ask for a reggistration and as a matter of policy I do not go into that, ever.
OMG guys, what crap of browsers do you use???

There's no registration needed at all, nor does it try to install any adware, IF you use the correct download button - the one in the top just right of the file description.
fhub

Post by fhub »

Ok, here's another trial at SolidFiles - maybe this one works for you:
https://www.solidfiles.com/v/4AWX6nV5YAw3v
(use the blue button/bar 'Download' BELOW the filename, NOT the green button 'Download now' right of the filename!)

Franz
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:
Fernando wrote: could you send it via Dropbox? The site you use ask for a reggistration and as a matter of policy I do not go into that, ever.
OMG guys, what crap of browsers do you use???

There's no registration needed at all, nor does it try to install any adware, IF you use the correct download button - the one in the top just right of the file description.
I am using Edge and my Avast doesn't let me load from there. Clicking on the button it wants to install adobe.... saying no to adobe and my avast and Edge freak out...

U.S. protection against Russian hackers maybe if it works for you LOL...?
Nick