Powerchess and Heiss

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Tibono2 wrote: Thanks for the list, I do get some (Sinclair, BBC...) but I will start chasing the Dragon, Oric...
A nice startpoint (it has been mine): http://www.andreadrian.de/schach/
8080 Chess on Processor Technology Sol 20 emulator is the oldest chess program (1977) I managed to run. A must have!
I also run some gaming console emulators for chess programs (usually of less interest), Win 3.1 on DosBox, Palm emulator, VirtualBox for some Win95/98 chess programs...
Very time consuming, as I wrote... Will be happy to share experience with anyone getting trouble to run an emulator or program I managed to setup (on Win7/64).

kind regards
That is a nice page. He has a lot of good information there.

Here is an incomplete list of original Home Computers and Game Consoles that I have (not emulators). It is incomplete because I have never tried to list them so I am probably missing a few that I have forgotten that I have :P

Some of these I also have as double, predominately where the computer had several chess programs.

ACTIVISION
ARCHIMEDES A3020
AMIGA 4000
AMIGA 1200
AMIGA 500
APPLE IIC
APPLE IIE
ATARI 1200
ATARI 2600
ATARI 800
ATARI 800XL
ATARI ST
ATARI LYNX
C128
C64
C64C
CPC464
CPC6128
DRAGON 32
INTELLIVSION
NINTENDO
SUPER NINTENDO
NINTENDO 64
NINTENDO DS
NINTENDO WII
MODEL B MASTER
OCRIC ATMOS
SEGA GAME GEAR
SEGA GENESIS
SEGA MASTER
SINCLAIR QL
SONY MSX
SONY PS1
SONY PS2
SPECTRUM 128K
SPECTRUM 48K
SPECTRUM PLUS 3
TRS-80
TS 1000
TS 2600
VIC 20
ZX-81
XBOX

Also Palm Pilots:

PALM IIIe PALM 2 16 MHZ 2 MB 2 MB
Tungsten E PALM 2 126 MHZ 32 MB 8 MB
Tungsten E2 PALM 2 200 MHZ 32 MB 32 MB
Tungsten T2 PALM 2 144 MHZ 32 MB 8 MB
Tungsten T3 PALM 2 400 MHZ 64 MB 16 MB
Tungsten T5 PALM 3 416 MHZ 32 MB 256 MB

Palm Software

FERINGA 0.03
CHESS 1.0
CHESSTIGER 15.2
HIARCS 12.1
HIARCS 9.7
NAUM 1.2
NAUM 1.8
FRUIT 2.1
GAMBITFRUIT 4BX
GNUCHESS 2.0
PHALANX
SCORPIO 1.6
TOGA II V1.1A
POCKET CHESS 1.1
POCKET CHESS 2.0

Pocket PC

COMPAQ IPAQ 3765 POCKET PC 1 206 MHZ 64 MB 32 MB
IPAQ 3850 POCKET PC 2 206 MHZ 64 MB 32 MB
HP RX3115 POCKET PC 2 300 MHZ 64 MB 32 MB
DELL AXIM 51V POCKET PC 3 624 MHZ 64 MB 256 MB

Pocket Software

9.95 CHESS V4.6 9.95 CHESS V4.6
CE BOARD 2.0 CRAFTY CLASSIC 2004
CE BOARD 2.0 FRUIT 2.1
CE BOARD 2.0 FRUIT 2.31
CE BOARD 2.0 GAMBITFRUIT 4BX
CE BOARD 2.0 TOGA II
CE BOARD 2.0 TOGA II 1.1A
CE BOARD 2.0 TOGA II 1.21A
CHESSCAPADE V1.52 CHESSCAPADE V1.52
CHESS GENIUS 2.003 CHESS GENIUS 2.003
INTELLICHESS 2.7.3 INTELLICHESS 2.7.3
KASPAROV CHESSMATE KASPAROV CHESSMATE
PALMCHESS V2.02 PALMCHESS V2.02
PINNACLE CHESS V1.0.2 PINNACLE CHESS V1.0.2
POCKET FRITZ 2.0 POCKET FRITZ 2.0
POCKET FRITZ 3.1.0 CRAFTY 22.0B
POCKET FRITZ 3.1.0 HIARCS 12.1
POCKET FRITZ 3.1.0 NAUM 4.2
POCKET FRITZ 3.1.0 TURING
POCKET FRITZ 4.1 CRAFTY 23.0
POCKET FRITZ 4.1 HIARCS 13
POCKET FRITZ 4.1 NAUM 4.2
POCKET SHREDDER 1.0 POCKET SHREDDER 1.0
POCKET CRAFTY 1.0 POCKET CRAFTY 1.0
POCKET GRANDMASTER 4.3 ANACONDA 2.0.1
POCKET GRANDMASTER 4.3 FRUIT 2.1
POCKET GRANDMASTER 4.3 SOS 1.0
POCKET GRANDMASTER 4.3 TOGA II 1.2.1A
POCKET GRANDMASTER 4.3 TOGA II V3.1.2SE
RAMPART CHESS V2.4 RAMPART CHESS V2.4
SCID POCKET 4.1 FRUIT 2.1
SCID POCKET 4.1 FRUIT 2.3.1
SCID POCKET 4.1 GAMBITFRUIT 1.0 BETA 4BX
SCID POCKET 4.1 GLAURUNG 1.2.1
SCID POCKET 4.1 GREKO 6.0
SCID POCKET 4.1 PHALANX XXII
SCID POCKET 4.1 ROBOLITO 0.85
SCID POCKET 4.1 SCIDLET 3.4
SCID POCKET 4.1 SCORPIO 2.0
SCID POCKET 4.1 TOGA 1.2.1A
SCID POCKET 4.1 TOGA 1.3.4
SCID POCKET 4.1 TOGA 1.4.1SE
SCID POCKET 4.1 VIPER 0.1
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 CRAFTY
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 CALIGULA 07B
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 THINKER 52L
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 THINKER 54A
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 THINKER 54L
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 DANASAH 4.24
THINKERBOARD 0.2.0027 AMY

Then there a DOS Machines (too many to list) I have about 30+ old laptops and desktops from 8086 upwards for DOS Chess and a few calculators with chess such as Psion.

Maybe someday I will write about them all on my website :)

Dragonchess tape cassette for Dragon 32 computer and Chessmaster for Sega Game Gear.

And that combined with Dedicated Chess Computers pretty much covers most of the history of computer chess available to the public for purchase.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Nick, you are even more mad than the average guy here....
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:Nick, you are even more mad than the average guy here....

Hi Fernando,

You got that one right! I have always been fascinated about computers ever since I was a kid and chess as well, so for me its a match made in heaven as I get older, to keep the brain juices flowing. Chess and computers. Especially nowadays it is more fun that ever, trying to get the old ones to work. Their operating systems and programs, and then add chess to that, and there you are you end up collecting them.

It is fun trying to remember the old DOS commands or window 3.11/95 and get the programs working. It is also fun getting a PAL Computer from England then figuring out how to use it in USA....etc etc... It's more than just collecting...it is figuring out and playing... with just collecting I would get bored very quickly.

Maybe someday I will sell them all, but not today :)

It would cost me a lot more if I was collecting cars or stamps.

Besides what is collecting? 10 shoes in the closet when you really ever use two pairs?

A collection of rare computers might not yield as much as a savings account, (except in the US you only get about 1 per cent interest on that in a year) but you sure get a return in enjoyment... :P

A wardrobe full of clothes.. Movie Collection.... Music Collection... books.... nicest collection of roses in the neighborhood.... hmmmm

It's relative ... best regards

ps...when does collecting start? Maybe when you have more than one of anything?
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:Nick, you are even more mad than the average guy here....

Hi Fernando,

You got that one right! I have always been fascinated about computers ever since I was a kid and chess as well, so for me its a match made in heaven as I get older, to keep the brain juices flowing. Chess and computers. Especially nowadays it is more fun that ever, trying to get the old ones to work. Their operating systems and programs, and then add chess to that, and there you are you end up collecting them.

It is fun trying to remember the old DOS commands or window 3.11/95 and get the programs working. It is also fun getting a PAL Computer from England then figuring out how to use it in USA....etc etc... It's more than just collecting...it is figuring out and playing... with just collecting I would get bored very quickly.

Maybe someday I will sell them all, but not today :)

It would cost me a lot more if I was collecting cars or stamps.

Besides what is collecting? 10 shoes in the closet when you really ever use two pairs?

A collection of rare computers might not yield as much as a savings account, (except in the US you only get about 1 per cent interest on that in a year) but you sure get a return in enjoyment... :P

A wardrobe full of clothes.. Movie Collection.... Music Collection... books.... nicest collection of roses in the neighborhood.... hmmmm

It's relative ... best regards

ps...when does collecting start? Maybe when you have more than one of anything?
Yes, one more thing of anything, that is my definition of collection too.
Of course we are OK with our hobby. We are peaceful, amiable guys I think, hundreds better than those that get his kick going on with a rifle to shoot animals or birds. We pay taxes, we raise children, we feed wives, we water the garden, we plant trees and we collect computers.
I just have the D-Fend thing, but is more than enough to enjoy many dos programs.
Ah, those were the days. I scarcely remember all the wisdom I had to run programs, get more memory with special instructions in a file, etc....

From the madhouse too regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
I just have the D-Fend thing, but is more than enough to enjoy many dos programs.
Yes D-Fend is good and more than enough Chess for anyone for life.

But.... here to we search and find always just one more program, to play...to keep... to collect :P

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Yes D-Fend is good and more than enough Chess for anyone for life.

But.... here to we search and find always just one more program, to play...to keep... to collect :P

Best regards
Me too, but in that endeavor I am not accompanied by enough tech wisdom. Those emulator are a pain in the ass and more than once I have had troubles with my old comp. after trying to use them. Maybe you could imitate Ed S. and prepare a full package ready to be used as he has done with his own programs and D-Fend.

Greedy and lazy regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote: Me too, but in that endeavor I am not accompanied by enough tech wisdom. Those emulator are a pain in the ass and more than once I have had troubles with my old comp. after trying to use them. Maybe you could imitate Ed S. and prepare a full package ready to be used as he has done with his own programs and D-Fend.

Greedy and lazy regards
Fern
Ed did it the right way. He got permission from all his chess peers to share the programs.

For example Chess Champion 2175 that I am using in DOSBox. It is from my original disk that is protected through the manual, where it asks you a word to enter from a certain page in the Manual.

Therefore I really don't have permission to share it. Maybe a better way is for me to contact Ed Shroeder and see if he can get permission from Chris Whittington who gave him permission for CP2150. Then I could share it with him with pdf manual to add to his download page?

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote: Me too, but in that endeavor I am not accompanied by enough tech wisdom. Those emulator are a pain in the ass and more than once I have had troubles with my old comp. after trying to use them. Maybe you could imitate Ed S. and prepare a full package ready to be used as he has done with his own programs and D-Fend.

Greedy and lazy regards
Fern
Ed did it the right way. He got permission from all his chess peers to share the programs.

For example Chess Champion 2175 that I am using in DOSBox. It is from my original disk that is protected through the manual, where it asks you a word to enter from a certain page in the Manual.

Therefore I really don't have permission to share it. Maybe a better way is for me to contact Ed Shroeder and see if he can get permission from Chris Whittington who gave him permission for CP2150. Then I could share it with him with pdf manual to add to his download page?

Best regards
Well, yes, that is the honest, decent, right, correct, civil and honorable way to act, but I am a corrupt old guy so I would not say a thing to nobody if suddenly I receive in dropbox something that could be a program.

Dishonest regards
F
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Greedy and lazy regards
Fern

Best regards
Well, yes, that is the honest, decent, right, correct, civil and honorable way to act, but I am a corrupt old guy so I would not say a thing to nobody if suddenly I receive in dropbox something that could be a program.

Dishonest regards
F
Funny :P
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

You know talking about Ed Schroeder. When he auctioned off some stuff 3 or 4 years ago.

I bought from him his handwritten programming sheets for his first Rebel that he wrote for the TRS 80 computer.

Maybe someday I will try and type it all into a TRS 80 and see if it works.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:You know talking about Ed Schroeder. When he auctioned off some stuff 3 or 4 years ago.

I bought from him his handwritten programming sheets for his first Rebel that he wrote for the TRS 80 computer.

Maybe someday I will try and type it all into a TRS 80 and see if it works.

Best regards
You are a real pro as a collector. Only Steve B. could compete with you.
I am a beggar in comparison.
So, as a beggar I am ...

send me the 2150 stuff regards

Fern the dishonest
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

BTW, go to..

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/chess-2yi

perhaps you do not know it. Lot of old stuff...

F
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:BTW, go to..

F
Its bad, worse than Sargon 4
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:

F
I do not refer to that game, but to the site.
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

F
I do not refer to that game, but to the site.
That is the first time I have seen it.
Nick