Chessfriend

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Chessfriend

Post by Fernando »

A friend here has sent me Chesfriend, a program that sometime in the Jurassic age I had in a 3,5 disk, but now lost or in any case unworkable as much none of my even old comps has a diskette reader.
This programs I have played two times with the result of two draws. It is tough in defense so even if you get some advantage, it find resources to keep half a point. OR it can be that I am somewhat tired to gather the last effort to materialize the advantage.
It hAS an interesting style, very pleasant to play it.
It is always fun to play programs that are pretty strong, BUT not at such stratospheric level as not to give us the shadow of a chance.

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Yes it is a fun program, I also have the original program and manual that I have used a lot to install it on my many oldie DOS computers. I have also played Chess Friend many times. It is just strong enough that you have to play good to beat it.

Best regards
Nick
microhenri

Post by microhenri »

On my Old DOS PC XT I did play The Chessmaster 2000. I did learn the rules of Chess with this program.
Can you compare Chess Friend with it? Does it have the same strength and age or is it even older.

microHenri
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi microHenri,

Chessmaster 2000 is from D. Kittinger, 1986 and should score ~1900 "elo" on a PC/AT (80286@8Mhz). It belongs to Mychess & many Novag boards' family, including the famous Super Constellation (1984).

ChessFriend is from G. Horvath, 1993 and should score ~2000, 2100 "elo" on a 80486SX33 PC (commonly available in 93, to stay consistent with the birth time of Chess Friend). It belongs to Pandix family.

Tibono
microhenri

Post by microhenri »

Tibono2 wrote:Hi microHenri,

Chessmaster 2000 is from D. Kittinger, 1986 and should score ~1900 "elo" on a PC/AT (80286@8Mhz). It belongs to Mychess & many Novag boards' family, including the famous Super Constellation (1984).

ChessFriend is from G. Horvath, 1993 and should score ~2000, 2100 "elo" on a 80486SX33 PC (commonly available in 93, to stay consistent with the birth time of Chess Friend). It belongs to Pandix family.

Tibono
Ah Thanks Tibono. This is nice to know.
I was wondering if it is due to the faster hardware that ChessFriend has a higher rating or is it just a better chess program. So I did run ChessFriend (thanks Fern) and CM2000 (from myabandonware) each running in a Dosbox 0.74 emulator on my modern PC and playing against each other.
Chess Master 2000 did win two times out of two. This shows the superiority of the older engine (in this match ;-)).
By the way, I like both games…

Henri
nathanhoover

ChessFriend (Pandix)

Post by nathanhoover »

Is there a way to purchase this program, or otherwise download it?
mclane

Post by mclane »

Chess friend plays more positional.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
CompDad

Re: ChessFriend (Pandix)

Post by CompDad »

nathanhoover wrote:Is there a way to purchase this program, or otherwise download it?
+ 1 THANKS
Volodymyr

Post by Volodymyr »