Novag Super Constellation

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Addicted 2 Chess

Novag Super Constellation

Post by Addicted 2 Chess »

Does anyone know the various ratings for each of the levels on this chess computer? I purchased it in early April and I haven't beaten it on level one (non-training level) yet. I'm new to chess, but have made huge improvements in my game so far, although I am only rated in the mid-1100s on chess dot com. I want to beat this chess computer badly, I just wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks all.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

That's a strong machine! I doubt anyone has ratings for the individual levels, though.

When I learned chess, my teacher beat me 175 times before I finally won a game. Improving takes practice, patience, and the ability to analyze your games to figure out what went wrong. Also, unlike a human opponent, even weak chess computers can be merciless tactical monsters, though with strategic weaknesses.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
TracySMiller

Re: Novag Super Constellation

Post by TracySMiller »

Addicted 2 Chess wrote:Does anyone know the various ratings for each of the levels on this chess computer? I purchased it in early April and I haven't beaten it on level one (non-training level) yet. I'm new to chess, but have made huge improvements in my game so far, although I am only rated in the mid-1100s on chess dot com. I want to beat this chess computer badly, I just wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks all.
The unit is rated around 1800, which is a pretty strong tournament player, much stronger than your average club player. That rating is probably based on letting it take 1 minute or so for each move. On the first normal level where it takes less than 5 seconds, it's still probably playing at 1500 level.

That unit has 7 training levels. Start with the first one, and when you beat it consistently, go up to the next training level. Don't let the "training" name make you feel bad. It just means it limits the computer's "think ahead" capabilities to give you a chance.
Larry

Post by Larry »

It’s normal to get your butt kicked by the Super Connie, especially
as a newcomer to the game. It gives pretty much its full strength on
the fast time controls, at least in my experience. That’s what put
it in the “classic chess computer” category. It was the first chess
comp to wipe smirks off faces. So don’t be disheartened, you are
going through the same phase we all went through.
Regards...Larry
LuckyPoster

Re: Novag Super Constellation

Post by LuckyPoster »

Addicted 2 Chess wrote:Does anyone know the various ratings for each of the levels on this chess computer? I purchased it in early April and I haven't beaten it on level one (non-training level) yet. I'm new to chess, but have made huge improvements in my game so far, although I am only rated in the mid-1100s on chess dot com. I want to beat this chess computer badly, I just wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks all.
Don't be discouraged. Most participants (including me) will certainly have their problems to knock Super Conny, as it is also called, down. Chess isn't an easy game. It takes time to develop instinct and feeling.