Hiarcs software - Any help would be appreciated.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Jaimes Conda

Hiarcs software - Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Jaimes Conda »

I play against CMX for the most part ( F9 also) because of the varied strength personalities available and especially because the DGT board is compatible (through GameKeeper) with CMX and F9K. In fact F9 & DGT work better together than CMX & DGT.
A combination of Fritz 9 & CMX rate me around 1600.

I would purchase Hiarcs if I could have the same as described above.

1. Does Hiarcs have variable strength personalities that play a reasonably good ( not just hanging
pieces etc) game at the lower elo ?.Eg. 1600.

2. Does Hiarcs have it’s own GUI? Is it compatible with the DGT board?

3. What is my best option based on the above?

Thanks for any replies, Jaimes
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Hi Jaimes,

If I can reply

1) Hiarcs has an adjustable elo scale from 1250 up, whilst this doesn't give you massive swings in style like the CM personalities, it does give you a progressive scale to mark yourself against IMHO

2) Unless you buy the Chessbase product Hiarcs doesn't come with a GUI.

To be honest you'd do better buying Hiarcs 11 direct from Mark and using a free GUI like Arena which is compatible with your DGT board and a much stronger combination then the older Chessbase product.

Hope that helps?

Paul
Ted Summers

Re: Hiarcs software - Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Ted Summers »

Jaimes Conda wrote:I play against CMX for the most part ( F9 also) because of the varied strength personalities available and especially because the DGT board is compatible (through GameKeeper) with CMX and F9K. In fact F9 & DGT work better together than CMX & DGT.

1. Does Hiarcs have variable strength personalities that play a reasonably good ( not just hanging

Hi Jaimes,

I think you should be able to use Hiarcs as a UCI engine in Fritz 9 and there is a UCI_Elo setting for Hiarcs 11.2 where as stated above, allows you to set engine strength. So you can still use a DGT Board with the Fritz interface.
Jaimes Conda

Re: Hiarcs software - Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Jaimes Conda »

Ted Summers wrote:
Jaimes Conda wrote:I play against CMX for the most part ( F9 also) because of the varied strength personalities available and especially because the DGT board is compatible (through GameKeeper) with CMX and F9K. In fact F9 & DGT work better together than CMX & DGT.

Hi Jaimes,

I think you should be able to use Hiarcs as a UCI engine in Fritz 9 and there is a UCI_Elo setting for Hiarcs 11.2 where as stated above, allows you to set engine strength. So you can still use a DGT Board with the Fritz interface.
Ted,
Hello.How are you? Once again great info. Many thanks...Jaimes.
Jaimes Conda

Post by Jaimes Conda »

Wardy wrote:Hi Jaimes,

If I can reply

1) Hiarcs has an adjustable elo scale from 1250 up, whilst this doesn't give you massive swings in style like the CM personalities, it does give you a progressive scale to mark yourself against IMHO

2) Unless you buy the Chessbase product Hiarcs doesn't come with a GUI.

To be honest you'd do better buying Hiarcs 11 direct from Mark and using a free GUI like Arena which is compatible with your DGT board and a much stronger combination then the older Chessbase product.

Hope that helps?

Paul
Your help does help........thanks Jaimes.