LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

the site demands an inscription ins some other place, a movie place. No other way to get your work of art?

Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote:the site demands an inscription ins some other place, a movie place. No other way to get your work of art?

Fern
Rectification:
I download the thing at last, but every machine I try to start a dialog say it lacks a lot of files......
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

New rectification: I sorted it all.....
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: Franz, I assume you are the father of SOS, right?
No, that was Rudolf Huber, not Franz. ;)
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:
Fernando wrote: Franz, I assume you are the father of SOS, right?
No, that was Rudolf Huber, not Franz. ;)

well, nobody is perfect ..:-)

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote:Hi,

if anyone is interested - I've just released a new (final) version of CB-Emu.
I've implemented lots of new chess modules since Fernando created this thread - in total it contains now 128 modules.

Here's the link:
http://www115.zippyshare.com/v/PQgyBgx4/file.html

You'll still need the necessary ROM files - the included file 'ROMs.txt' tells you where you can find these ROMs.

Have fun,
Franz
Hi Franz,

The Mess emulator has always been a struggle for me to accept, don't ask me why, because I am still not sure myself. I have been playing old pc emulators for years while at the same time collecting them, and I don't seem to have the same problem with them.

Maybe it was because when I first looked at Mess it felt so amateurish and that is what bugged me.

Maybe it was the sacrilegious thought of opening dedicated computers for something other then the intent to repair them that bugged me.

Maybe it was the thought that through this work, some less ethical entrepreneurs would figure out a way to make money on programs for which they have no right to make money on.

Maybe it was the thought that now if I played in a tournament against someone, I would no longer know if my dedicated is playing against another dedicated or not.

Anyway whatever my reasons, I do have to congratulate you on what you have achieved with your CB-Emu. It looks and feels right and plays well too. Well done, I can see that your heart is in the right place judging from the amount of effort and detail that you have put into your project.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Maybe it was the sacrilegious thought of opening dedicated computers for something other then the intent to repair them that bugged me.
Yes...Exactly..Well said
opening them up to modify them is also verboten

Society For Prevention Of Cruelty To Dedicated Chess Computers Regards
Steve
fhub

Post by fhub »

spacious_mind wrote: Anyway whatever my reasons, I do have to congratulate you on what you have achieved with your CB-Emu. It looks and feels right and plays well too. Well done, I can see that your heart is in the right place judging from the amount of effort and detail that you have put into your project.
Thanks for your kind words, Nick! :)

But do you really dare to make such a statement about a chess computer PC emulation, which is not very popular here in this forum here,
and which is even considered as a product for the 'unwashed masses' by some guys here? ;)

Franz
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fhub wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: Anyway whatever my reasons, I do have to congratulate you on what you have achieved with your CB-Emu. It looks and feels right and plays well too. Well done, I can see that your heart is in the right place judging from the amount of effort and detail that you have put into your project.
Thanks for your kind words, Nick! :)

But do you really dare to make such a statement about a chess computer PC emulation, which is not very popular here in this forum here,
and which is even considered as a product for the 'unwashed masses' by some guys here? ;)

Franz
I like very much your program, But I have NEVER been capable of finishing a game with any of the simulated comps: sooner or later something happens, the Knight becomes a king, etc and so i must put it off.

Probably just my bad luck or unskilled conditions regards
Fern
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: I like very much your program, But I have NEVER been capable of finishing a game with any of the simulated comps: sooner or later something happens, the Knight becomes a king, etc and so i must put it off.

Probably just my bad luck or unskilled conditions regards
Well, I'm sure that you're just operating the program too fast, i.e. making too short mouse clicks.

The emulation works with exactly the same speed as the real device, so you should also use it like the real device: make your mouse clicks a bit longer and always wait until you get a confirmation from the program, i.e. a click on a chess piece is correct, if the piece is marked (then my driver program has registered your click) and the board LED(s) for this square goes ON (then the module itself has also got the click).

And usually you can fix an invalid/unregistered click by either repeating it or by pressing the <ESC> key (which works for most devices except the old Mephistos).
But of course it's better to avoid such problems, and the best method is to slow down your operations - the emulation rather behaves like the real device than a usual Windows program (and 95% of all users have no problems with CB-Emu ;)).

Franz
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I have tried all that and sometimes works, sometimes does not....Maybe I should just purchase the physical comps instead of trying to fit my cliking customs to the simuls. In any cae, great work. It is me the guy lacking good sense...
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:I have tried all that and sometimes works, sometimes does not....Maybe I should just purchase the physical comps instead of trying to fit my cliking customs to the simuls. In any cae, great work. It is me the guy lacking good sense...
Yes, it is exactly as Franz says. You have to think you are playing the real dedicated computer. In other words slow down and click the moves deliberately from one square to the next. You also really have to know the computers behavior as well with what you have learned from the original computer's manual to understand it best. For example you have to know what the functions do and how to take back a move correctly etc. Imagine playing wrong moves on your dedicated it would start beeping and freaking out. The emulator does exactly the same. You have to follow the original computers rules and you can't think PC when you play it :).

I guess that's what makes it tolerable and the good work Franz put into them. The masses in most cases would never really figure them all out. It only really suits a dedicated computer nut :)

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:I have tried all that and sometimes works, sometimes does not....Maybe I should just purchase the physical comps instead of trying to fit my cliking customs to the simuls. In any cae, great work. It is me the guy lacking good sense...
Yes, it is exactly as Franz says. You have to think you are playing the real dedicated computer. In other words slow down and click the moves deliberately from one square to the next. You also really have to know the computers behavior as well with what you have learned from the original computer's manual to understand it best. For example you have to know what the functions do and how to take back a move correctly etc. Imagine playing wrong moves on your dedicated it would start beeping and freaking out. The emulator does exactly the same. You have to follow the original computers rules and you can't think PC when you play it :).

I guess that's what makes it tolerable and the good work Franz put into them. The masses in most cases would never really figure them all out. It only really suits a dedicated computer nut :)

Best regards
Yes, yes, I will try again..........

stubborn regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

fhub wrote: Thanks for your kind words, Nick! :)

Franz
Hi Franz,

People here are honest and tell you exactly what they think. That is what I like most about this forum. No one here is ever going to suck up to you with countless thank you statements. They will question you and you will have tough debates.

I personally love that, it is how I learn new things all the time efficiently and fast. :) You don't learn through agreeing with everyone else or them agreeing with you.

Just look at my posts I throw things out there and I have to accept what I get back.. it's fun and keeps everyone's mental juices flowing.

As far as I know there is only one rule here and that is to stay respectful to the other person however much you disagree with their opinion. In other words no personal insults ie. cussing them out or their heritage etc.

I can think of only 3 or 4 times in 10 years where someone was banned and in all cases it was not about what they debated but how they treated someone else.

So just because people don't agree with what you do does not mean that everyone does not agree with what you do or write :)

If you think about it, you have a Forum here under Hiarcs a commercial program, which in this general discussion forum is not often mentioned since we talk about dedicated computers, emulators, pc programs etc etc. You cannot get a higher tolerance that! This kind of tolerance rarely exists in Forums if at all.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
fhub wrote: Thanks for your kind words, Nick! :)

Franz
Hi Franz,

People here are honest and tell you exactly what they think. That is what I like most about this forum. No one here is ever going to suck up to you with countless thank you statements. They will question you and you will have tough debates.

I personally love that, it is how I learn new things all the time efficiently and fast. :) You don't learn through agreeing with everyone else or them agreeing with you.

Just look at my posts I throw things out there and I have to accept what I get back.. it's fun and keeps everyone's mental juices flowing.

As far as I know there is only one rule here and that is to stay respectful to the other person however much you disagree with their opinion. In other words no personal insults ie. cussing them out or their heritage etc.

I can think of only 3 or 4 times in 10 years where someone was banned and in all cases it was not about what they debated but how they treated someone else.

So just because people don't agree with what you do does not mean that everyone does not agree with what you do or write :)

If you think about it, you have a Forum here under Hiarcs a commercial program, which in this general discussion forum is not often mentioned since we talk about dedicated computers, emulators, pc programs etc etc. You cannot get a higher tolerance that! This kind of tolerance rarely exists in Forums if at all.

Best regards
If you just put some music to what you said, then we already have the anthem of the place

Ave Caesar regards
Fern
Festina Lente