Buying a Revelation II?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Scally

Buying a Revelation II?

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a Revelation II with the Emulation Package but am concerned that it is now a couple of years old and may be replaced by a newer model. Also in my research, it seems that the firmware hasn't been upgraded for a while, is 3.14 still the latest level?

What are your thoughts please, and If I chose to buy one, who should I buy from to get the best deal?

Thanks

Al.
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello ,

On schachcomputer.info in German is to read that updates are coming ,also new EMU programs as well

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Seems a new module is on the way...

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php

Even More Lang Regards
Steve
Scally

Post by Scally »

Thanks Steve, very interesting. If I'm reading that right it's a module update for the old Mephisto boards which I have, which include all the Lang Programs but running up to 4 times faster.

Al.
Staplegrove

Post by Staplegrove »

Hans - were you talking about new updates for the RevII or the module Steve mentions? I took a quick look at schachcomputer.info, but couldn't spot anything for the RevII, but my German is even worse than google's auto-translate, so could easily have missed it.
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Staplegrove wrote:Hans - were you talking about new updates for the RevII or the module Steve mentions? I took a quick look at schachcomputer.info, but couldn't spot anything for the RevII, but my German is even worse than google's auto-translate, so could easily have missed it.
Hi,

Hans was talking about what Ruud himself talked about on the german site: New developments for the Rev II. Steve talked about what Ruud put on his site: On new Lang emu module... That last one appears to be more concrete.

regards
Shaun

Rev II

Post by Shaun »

Hi Al

I bought a non-emulated version with the Ebony pieces from Doska Chess a couple of years back. I'd recommend Doska for reliability and keen prices.

I'm not too concerned about the absence of a recent firmware upgrade - on the higher levels the machine is an unstoppable opponent and aesthetically pleasing. It's a tad fiddly to operate.

Please let me know if you need any specific detail.

Best Regards

Shaun
Scally

Post by Scally »

Thanks Shaun,
I've been along to the London Chess Centre to see the Rev II and got a price off Doska before BRexit, then the price went up. I have both the Rev II & Emulation Manuals as PDFs and have agreed a price for a 2nd hand Rev II, which I'm looking forward to owning.

Al.
Scally

Post by Scally »

My Revelation II + Emulations + BCE pieces arrived late Tuesday afternoon. Soon after I learnt of the 3.21 upgrade so have upgraded and now have the extra Stockfish 6 Engine. I'm wondering what grade this will be, around 3000 maybe?

All in all I'm very impressed and still have a lot to learn about this beasty ...

Al.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Scally wrote:My Revelation II + Emulations + BCE pieces arrived late Tuesday afternoon.
All in all I'm very impressed and still have a lot to learn about this beasty ...

Al.
Congratulation Al. I think you will be having a lot of fun learning to use the Rev II.

Jealous....regards,
Dave
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes, congrats! Please let us know how you get on.
Queegmeister

module

Post by Queegmeister »

Steve B wrote:Seems a new module is on the way...

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php

Even More Lang Regards
Steve
Hello Gentlemen

I am excited about the new module for the old mephisto
but am confused a little

Can someone recommend which module to buy to use with my 16/32 bit display

I want to be able to use all the programs and strength of this module and still be able to sell the Vancouver module. Will all options function with the lowest priced version ?

will a new adapter be necessary considering the new hardware and included ?

I will say this, I vow to beat this beast on its highest level and post the game for you to enjoy.

Old Age Regards
Dr.Q
Only he who never plays, never loses
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote:Soon after I learnt of the 3.21 upgrade so have upgraded and now have the extra Stockfish 6 Engin
Finally got around to upgrading
pretty impressive that 2.5 years after the Rev II's release and Phoenix is still providing upgrades and additional engines

Good Stuff Regards
Steve
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Steve B wrote:Finally got around to upgrading
pretty impressive that 2.5 years after the Rev II's release and Phoenix is still providing upgrades and additional engines

Good Stuff Regards
Steve
Congratulation to Ruud for continuing to support and update the Rev II and making his customers happy.

Well done....regards,
Dave
Scally

Post by Scally »

Steve[/quote] Congratulation to Ruud for continuing to support and update the Rev II and making his customers happy.

Well done....regards,
Dave[/quote]

Indeed, he's a nice guy. My Rev II is 2nd hand so had the owners name on it. For a small fee, Ruud sent me a file to rename it to my name, also sent me
the update file & new Stockfish Engine file as I'm having trouble registering
as pre owned.

Al.