Chess on TV and in Films

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Ah, what to post next...

Let’s go back to the memorable chess scenes in Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 magnum opus, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

**Please note that the first 3 minutes are preparatory music.
**Skip ahead to go right to the film.

HAL 9000 Sends His Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Re: Chess on TV and in Films

Post by Cyberchess »

Harvey Williamson wrote:There is an episode of Columbo where Chess is featured. Can anyone think of any other TV Dramas or films where it does?

Were the positions shown ridiculous? Did a, supposed, strong player fall for a mate in 1?
Greetings Harvey and fellow chess in films enthusiasts!

Over the weekend a fellow chess aficionado mentioned Peter Falk of Columbo, and I was reminded of this vintage episode which revolved around a chess championship match. This season 2 episode, “The Most Dangerous Match” originally aired on March 4, 1973.

While this digitized rendition has been formatted for a small viewer, the picture is remarkably crisp and the audio is clean. Of course all of these vintage episodes are available on digitally remastered DVD sets.

While the acting and plot were typically good, you will note the usual bloopers/inconsistencies associated with portraying professional chess players.

Enjoy!

http://watch32.is/movie/x4lyWrOx-columb ... ode-7.html

Gruesome Game Regards,
John
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

And then, of course, there's the famous chess scene in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". The Knight sac to produce the mate...I suppose if the bewitched set had refused the sacrifice we'd have been robbed of a dramatic moment.
Scally

Post by Scally »

... and with a 50/50 chance, why do most Chess scenes on Screen have the Board the wrong way round.

Al.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

The great chess historian Bill Wall has a list of instances here: http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/articles/tv_chess.htm
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

TracySMiller wrote:The great chess historian Bill Wall has a list of instances here: http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/articles/tv_chess.htm
Thanks for the list, Tracy!

While it contains a wealth of chess scenes and themes spanning several decades and throughout different genres, it was a bit disappointing that one of my favorite chess themed television episodes had been omitted.

Being a Fischer boomer and schoolboy in the 1970’s, I recall how I had been home from school with a case of strep throat, and did nothing but rest, take meds, sip hot tea, and watch television. In 1972, when Bobby Fischer created a surge in chess interest by winning the world chess championship, the late Sebastian Cabot hosted a show called “Circle of Fear”. Having just recently taken up the Royal Game, my interest sure was piqued when this episode was aired. Fortunately a YouTube user uploaded a 480 resolution digitized copy, so watching this in full-screen is a must.

8) Enjoy!

Alter Ego Regards
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

There is a movie of 1960 that treats entirely about chess. It is called "Brainwashed", with Curt Jurgens as the main character. It is based in a Stefan Sweig novel entitled The Royal game.

Movie seracher regards
Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Fernando wrote:There is a movie of 1960 that treats entirely about chess. It is called "Brainwashed", with Curt Jurgens as the main character. It is based in a Stefan Sweig novel entitled The Royal game.

Movie seracher regards
Fern
Ah, I guess it is "Schachnovelle" by Stefan Zweig, I read it long ago. Very nice story!
Not to be read by worried parents ;-).
I didn't know they made a movie of it!

Curious regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

This little clip from the action thriller "Harry Brown" (2009) features a short discussion of the Fischer-Spassky match. Michael Caine starred, planting his macho flag for all of us old guys:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/10 ... harry.html

Caine's dialogue:

"In the seventh match [sic], Fischer opened [Caine's thick accent makes this word uncertain] with what's called the Pirc defense. He'd never used it before. Black concedes the center of the board in expectations of a counter play. Spassky was a rook to knight up [?] when...anyway, Fischer won."

The lines mix error with accuracy. The moment in question is not "the seventh match," but Game 17, where Fischer indeed played the Pirc for the first time in his career. As any student of the match knows, Fischer did not win the 17th game. It ended in a draw, though one could argue that Caine's halting statement is intended to close the conversation by referring to the outcome of the match rather than the game.

Chess movie trivia regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Also, have to include "Pawn Sacrifice," the 2014 Fischer biopic. Tobey Maguire takes the lead. The film takes unfortunate liberties with Fischer's mania, but I like Liev Schreiber as Spassky.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

The legendary Gene Hackman played a chess obsessed gumshoe in "Night Moves" 1975.

http://watch32.is/movie/zGWZ5gxP-night-moves-1975.html

Workin’ on Mysteries Without Any Clues Regards,
John
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Reinfeld wrote:Also, have to include "Pawn Sacrifice," the 2014 Fischer biopic. Tobey Maguire takes the lead. The film takes unfortunate liberties with Fischer's mania, but I like Liev Schreiber as Spassky.

- R.
I liked Spassky too, and I think he is the same in real life, as opposed to many of his russian colleagues in his timeshift.
I once played against him in a simultan, he totally demolished my Aljechin defense ;-). But he appreciated my guts to try it anyway :-).
In all the Aljechin defenses I played against other humans I had a lot more success...

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:Sebastian Cabot hosted a show called “Circle of Fear”.
Wow John - just watched the episode. Super creepy!
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Last week I was on a long flight back from Florida, and decided to browse the films that United had available to stream. I ended up watching a french film that I've never heard of, called Joueuse (Queen To Play).

Kevin Kline played a lead role, but the real star of the film was a Mephisto Chess Challenger!!!

Yes - not only a chess film - but a chess film based around a dedicated chess computer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX5TplZK9Tg

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/art ... to-1901255

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, it is a free Prime film.

The story was okay, however the acting was very good. It was fun to watch Kevin speak French. "Ne m'appelez pas stupide." Oh wait, that was a different Kevin Kline movie...

Greg
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

I watched the Columbo episode. It is hilarious in the simul towards the end to see how the "grandmaster" obviously has played 1.f3 e6. 2.g4 and is extremely surprised by his opponents announcement "check and mate". I won't give the amazing solution away, you have to find it yourself (without computer help)...

Gerhard