Komodo 9.2 installation not working after update to HCE 1.9

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Eelvelt

Komodo 9.2 installation not working after update to HCE 1.9

Post by Eelvelt »

I like to have several copies of the same engine with different settings. After update to HCE 1.9 I tried to install yet another Komodo variant. The installation went normal. I also could select the new engine for analysis. However, the engine is not responding what-so-ever. I waited several minutes but nothing. Under HCE 1.8 this was never a problem. Anybody recognizes this? What can I do to get it working?
Yarc

Re: Komodo 9.2 installation not working after update to HCE

Post by Yarc »

Eelvelt wrote:I like to have several copies of the same engine with different settings. After update to HCE 1.9 I tried to install yet another Komodo variant. The installation went normal. I also could select the new engine for analysis. However, the engine is not responding what-so-ever. I waited several minutes but nothing. Under HCE 1.8 this was never a problem. Anybody recognizes this? What can I do to get it working?
I also have copies of engines with different settings and concur that this is a new problem, and yes it does seem to only happen with Komodo. I have tried with Komodo 9.4 and Stockfish 7. The copy of Stockfish 7 engine works whereas a copy of Komodo does not. Very strange.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Yarc wrote:
Eelvelt wrote:I like to have several copies of the same engine with different settings. After update to HCE 1.9 I tried to install yet another Komodo variant. The installation went normal. I also could select the new engine for analysis. However, the engine is not responding what-so-ever. I waited several minutes but nothing. Under HCE 1.8 this was never a problem. Anybody recognizes this? What can I do to get it working?
I also have copies of engines with different settings and concur that this is a new problem, and yes it does seem to only happen with Komodo. I have tried with Komodo 9.4 and Stockfish 7. The copy of Stockfish 7 engine works whereas a copy of Komodo does not. Very strange.
Are you using the latest Komodo 9.42? There have been 2 updates since 9.4.
Eelvelt

Post by Eelvelt »

I have not yet updated.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Eelvelt wrote:I have not yet updated.
Then you should update because there are bug fixes in 9.42 which might solve your problem.
Vincenzo

Post by Vincenzo »

Komodo 9.42 working here with HCE 1.9.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Yarc wrote:
Yes, I am using the latest Komodo version 9.42. Copies of this version worked in HCE1.8. Something in version 1.9 has prevented copies of Komodo from working.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Yarc wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Yarc wrote:
Yes, I am using the latest Komodo version 9.42. Copies of this version worked in HCE1.8. Something in version 1.9 has prevented copies of Komodo from working.
It is strange because it works fine for me in 1.9. I will ask Mark Lefler if he has any ideas.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Yarc wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Yarc wrote:
It is strange because it works fine for me in 1.9. I will ask Mark Lefler if he has any ideas.
Thank you, that is very much appreciated.

Just to confirm, if I have just a single Komodo 9.x instance in HCE1.9 this works, but as soon as I add another instance with a different name, the problem occurs.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

It's working for me, too. Is the OP on Windows or OSX?

jb
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

sockmonkey wrote:It's working for me, too. Is the OP on Windows or OSX?

jb
I don't know about the OP but I'm on Windows 10. The thing is, something has changed with the 1.9 update. If I go back to HCE 1.8 I can have multiple Komodo 9.xx setups without issue.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Yarc wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:It's working for me, too. Is the OP on Windows or OSX?

jb
I don't know about the OP but I'm on Windows 10. The thing is, something has changed with the 1.9 update. If I go back to HCE 1.8 I can have multiple Komodo 9.xx setups without issue.
I updated to HCE 1.9 and was able to install multiple Komodos and had no issues. Since this seems to be limited to your machine, perhaps you can let us know your settings to try and duplicate the issue? You probably have already done this, but did you try deleting all Komodos and reinstalling them?

Mark
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

I was about to post the same thing -- now testing in both Windows and OSX using Komodo 9.42. It would be useful to maybe see a screen movie of how you're creating the copies, etc., since what you are trying to explain may not be what we understand. ;-)
Eelvelt

Post by Eelvelt »

I updated to v.9.42 on my HCE 1.9 for OS X and this seems to have solved my problems. Thanks for your advice.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

I have it working now and it was my mistake.

When Komodo9.x is installed it's put into a folder called Komodo-9.x-xxxxxxxx where the x's are replaced by a program generated code. Before adding the Komodo9.42 engine to HCE, I renamed this folder to Komodo9.42 to make it easier to identify the later komodo version. This was the mistake because Komodo refused to work. I renamed the folder back to the original name and komodo then worked fine. Therefore, it must check to see if its running under this specific folder, named 'komodo9.4-xxxxxxxx'.

This is unlike other chess engines I know and could easily catch people out!

Even stranger, just tried running the komodo9.42 engine under my renamed folder in the Aquarium chess interface and it works!? So not really sure what is going on, only that I can make it work in HCE.