Mysterious Chess 2001/ComputaChess Champion Module Slot

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bryan Whitby

Mysterious Chess 2001/ComputaChess Champion Module Slot

Post by Bryan Whitby »

I have recently taken ownership of a really nice CXG ComputaChess Champion autosensory which contains the same Richard Lang Cyrus II program as the Chess 2001. The only difference as far as I am aware is the board colours with the ComputaChess Champion green and the 2001 red. Also my ComputaChess Champion came in a Chess 2001 box.

I noticed when it arrived that there is a removable section of the board for what I can only think is for some sort of additional module?

I have asked various people including Richard Lang about it and nobody knows what the mysterious slot is for.

Maybe someone hear can help and here are a couple of photos.

Black hole regards
Bryan

steffen

Post by steffen »

Never released additional modules regards,
Steffen
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Nice one well done

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Larry

Post by Larry »

Congrats on your purchase. I'm also looking for one of these. I
had the one with the red squares, but it went belly up and I couldn't
fix it . It plays a respectable game considering it's got the same feeble
Z80 processor the the original Fidelitys had. I was also puzzled as
to the reason for the module spacer. We can be fairly sure it was for
future upgrades. But the future never came.
L
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Thanks lads for the replies.

I was quite lucky with this one as it had only been posted on eBay for two minutes and I saw it advertised at £22 or best offer. I just bought it straight away at £22 and it works perfectly. All I had to do was to give it a good clean with antibacterial wipes (as I always do with second hand computers) and it came up looking like new! Bargain of the year for me although I have bought some bargains off Gumtree also this year.

I really like the Cyrus II program even more than Richard's more recent and stronger programs.

Yes, very pleased with this one 👍

Regards
Bryan
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Bryan,
Chessmaster Ireland wrote:.... All I had to do was to give it a good clean with antibacterial wipes (as I always do with second hand computers) and it came up looking like new! ....
wow, I never did that with those chess computer I bought - and I bought a lot the last 40 years.

I've to think about it....

Insecure Regards, Michael
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Congrats on the bargain Bryan. It's a cracker. They are machines I have always liked.
Here are some more pictures, this time of the Hanimex HCG1900 which is the same as the Chess 2001. But for the names the manuals are the same word for word.

Chess 2001 reached the market in early 1984 when the cartridge upgrade idea was running out of steam for the mid-range plastic chess computers. So the Chess 2001 has a second cheaper upgrade method built in. See the ROM compartment? Through 1983 CXG must have been hedging their bets as to whether or not to go down the upgrade path. Then the Chess 2001 did well in the London and Budapest tournaments. So they went ahead with production but without a pcb that offered a cartridge expansion option. I suppose then they didn't sell well enough to take up the ROM replacement option.

All the best
Mike
Last edited by Mike Watters on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Thanks Mike
I thought you might have something interesting to say when you read the post 😀
Regards
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Previously Seen On Hiarcs:

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... light=2001

Have both of the above models(and a double of the Hanimex)

very fragile Auto-Sensory boards
i have had squares go bad and not recognize the pieces in both models

Auto Overly Sensitive Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Steve

Obviously as you and Larry have both experienced major problems, I feel very lucky to have this perfect computer especially at such a giveaway price.

As I've got older my chess has gone worse and this Lang program gives me a really enjoyable opponent. Hopefully for quite some time to come, fingers crossed.

2001 regards
Bryan